my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Props   » What's the best WWI flight sim?

Author Topic: What's the best WWI flight sim?
WildeSau
Member # 2151

posted 02-15-2000 01:58 PM     Profile for WildeSau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi hunters,

Although I am a rookie pilot, I love WWII flight sims and fly very often.

But I think that WWI planes are also very interesting.

What WWI combat flight sim do you recommend. Heard from Flying Corps Gold and RedBaron3D. I already flew RedBaron but just some hourse and a long time ago.

Are these the two only ones which are worth to check and if yes, which one would you recommend.

Or do you know perhaps from any WWI flight sims which should be released in the next time?

There are that many WWII flight sims in development (what I love) but I didn't hear from any WWI based flight sim - it's a pity. I am sure many people like to see one with all the technical possibilities that are available now. As I know Flying Corps Gold and RedBaron are both older sims.

Thanks for any answers.

Michael the "WildeSau"

Posts: 61 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richthoven
unregistered

posted 02-15-2000 02:25 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have never played RB3 (apart from the demo) but I think FCG is definately the one! THough you may have a few hardware compatibility probs! Remember Dawn Patrol (not really an accurate sim but I had great fun playing it at the time!)
IP: Logged
JayP
Member # 858

posted 02-15-2000 05:48 PM     Profile for JayP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like Flying Corps for its flight models, which I (and many others) think are really outstanding. Red Baron 3D continues to have a large following, however. There are numerous modifications that users have made for the game and people still play it online.
Sv
Member # 903

posted 02-15-2000 07:10 PM     Profile for Sv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am really impressed by the Red Baron 3D customizations... cool skins, planes, and sounds. Also a large community - always lotsa people flying on-line.

We are making cool WWI stuff that works in SDOE. Check them out here:
http://www.schoolmusic.com/chickencoop/openplane_wwi/index.htm

This can be really fun, but it is not a "WWI SIM" propper at this point. We still need a terrain, and WWI ground objects/targets. But the dogfighting can be something else! Also there are only two planes you can download and use now, but many others are on the way. Also the DM/FM will continue to improve because OpenPlane gives us complete control over these areas.

-Sv

JG2_FireCat!
Member # 225

posted 02-15-2000 07:15 PM     Profile for JG2_FireCat!   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

My vote, obviously, is for Red Baron 3D. For information on this exceptional flight simulation, I invite you to read my review that is archived here on Combatsim.com. Just go to the search field and type in RB3D and the review will appear.

If you're interested in reading the comments of over 400 others who agree, please visit a special Guestbook of Red Baron Players who are currently attempting to interest a game developer in continuing to develop the Red Baron Franchise/Series.
http://www2.bravenet.com/guestbook/show.asp?usernum=1879153498

Salut!

JG2"FireCat!"

Posts: 172 | From: Venice Beach, California | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
kbedford
Member # 1451

posted 02-16-2000 05:57 AM     Profile for kbedford   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Flying Corps Gold is still an excellent sim despite its age, and with the latest patch works fine on my Tnt2 Ultra card at up to 1024 x 768. I'm playing it now in preference to much newer sims.
I tried to get the Red Baron 3D demo working but could only get software screen display at a very slow frame rate.
Graphics poorer than Dawn Patrol...
Does Red Baron work with non-Voodoo cards?
Cheers,
Keith

Posts: 71 | From: Hemel Hempstead,UK | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
JG2_FireCat!
Member # 225

posted 02-16-2000 06:26 AM     Profile for JG2_FireCat!   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Keith

Yes, it works without voodoo, but it doesn't look very good.

You can pick up a voodoo2 card very cheap on e-bay.

Salut!

JG2"FireCat!

Posts: 172 | From: Venice Beach, California | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SPOT
Member # 453

posted 02-16-2000 10:47 AM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Funny no one mentioned DAWN of ACES which along with FLYING CORP GOLD has the best FM.
DoA is geared more though to mulyiplayer.

But truth be told I fly RBIIID more because players have done such great graphic and sound add-ons. There is even a Campaign Manager add on where you can switch add ons.
There is a even an player created FM and aerial damage patch for RBIIID and NEW aircraft. The flame patch is just great. When a plane burns -it burns.DoA and FCG got the FM but RBIIID is a better, immersive sim because of it's player community.

PHilA
Member # 1019

posted 02-16-2000 12:34 PM     Profile for PHilA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Redbaron II/III also has much better damage models that Flying Corp Gold--wings get shot off, engines freeze, pilots jump out, you can even land with one wing. I also find that it has better cockpit views and situational awareness. The player add-ons are also better--you get caudrons and Fokker d8s from combatsim.com
Beery
Member # 3209

posted 02-16-2000 11:24 PM     Profile for Beery   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes. A bunch of us have been working for over two years now to straighten out RB2/RB3D's problems, and I think it's now getting to the point where the community have created what you could consider to be RB4 - with the new graphics it certainly doesn't look like RB3D anymore. However, in order to get the most from it, you must own a Voodoo card (3D only works with Glide).

Certainly, RB3D is the most immersive WW1 sim out there today. It still has some FM issues, but the feeling of belonging to a squadron/jasta in the campaign game is one that you just can't get with any other WW1 sim. Multiplayer is good too - lots of people to fight against.

To see how far we've brought it, check out my screenshots, and the new features page. Get there via http://members.xoom.com/beery1/Baron.html

[This message has been edited by Beery (edited 02-16-2000).]

Posts: 86 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
WildeSau
Member # 2151

posted 02-17-2000 12:20 AM     Profile for WildeSau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi hunters,

Thanks for all these infos.

It seems that we have fans of both sims and that it's hard to says which one is more worth the money.

Can anybody say in a few words what the main differences between the two sims are?

But at the end it will result in that I have to go for both of them...

Didn't see Flying Corps Gold in any game shop here in Switzerland. Is it something hard to get?

Thanks.

Michael the "WildeSau"

Posts: 61 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Beery
Member # 3209

posted 02-17-2000 01:18 AM     Profile for Beery   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Basically, FCG concentrates on the FM. It has only a few aircraft types and units for the player to fly with. Also, the campaign is structured as different scenarios - like episodes in the fighting from different perspectives. You can't play through the entire war in FCG.

RB3D concentrates on the campaign aspect. You can play through the entire air war for 4 different nationalities in any of 120+ historical squadrons. The FM is not its best feature (although there are now a number of unofficial FM patches that improve this).

I would advise you to get both if you can. They should both be at bargain prices by now (I recently saw RB3D for $10 in one of the major software chain stores here in the U.S.)

[This message has been edited by Beery (edited 02-17-2000).]

Posts: 86 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.