my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Props   » SDOE and WWI kites

Author Topic: SDOE and WWI kites
SPOT
Member # 453

posted 02-14-2000 10:49 AM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tell me more about this - I won't buy SDOE just to fly another Euro/Ami/ German WWII aircraft - but the WWI aircraft look in intriguing. I think
Flying Corp Gold depicts the following:
SE5, 2 SPADs, Neuiport, Camels, 2 Fokkers and an Albatross. Thats enough for a sim. Will
SDOE/WWI have as many? What about maps and missions, seasons?
This inquiring mind wants to know - since no developer has announced any new WWI sim in the future.

kbedford
Member # 1451

posted 02-14-2000 11:24 AM     Profile for kbedford   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm currently flying FCG and have also tried some of the SDOE WW 1 planes...
The Se5 is excellent, visually and to fly although it seems to fly very fast. The Albatros is also good. Haven't tried the Fokker and couldnt find anything but pictures of the others.
The SDOE effects, terrain and buildings are excellent, however they arent WW1 and dont have the locations and trenches etc that FCG has.
Also no WW1 correct missions and campaigns.
Overall FCG must be favourite as the definitive WW1 sim right now (:^), but with SDOE in the bargain bins and much improved with patches its worth it just for fun.
And it could get lot better...
Cheers,
Keith

Posts: 71 | From: Hemel Hempstead,UK | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ronin
Member # 140

posted 02-14-2000 07:41 PM     Profile for Ronin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Spot-
SDOE for WWI is the result of a group of SDOE users that are using SDOE's OpenPlane system to build Aircraft for use in SDOE.

Work has only been under way for a few months now. The SE5a and Albatros are two craft that have been released. There are at least another half dozen fighter aircraft underway and several WWI bombers. A WWI terrain is also underway by yet another user.

The best place to check on WWI SDOE progress is "OpenPlane WWI".
http://www.schoolmusic.com/chickencoop/openplane_wwi/index.htm

(Again this is a user site not associated with Parasoft.)

There is also a new forum at the Fighter Squadron Information Center Site...
http://www.fightersquadron.com/

Some cool features so far; the ability to take the observation/gunner position in the bombers, someone has just modeled damage of the engine including oilpan, block and radiator damage effects and the SE5a has a wing mounted Lewis gun the can be tilted to a 45deg firing position with a keyboard command.

Lots in the works and as I said the WWI guys really just got started a few months back.

There is an aircraft contest underway for $400 (User community money). A ot of the new Aircraft are being held back for this contest. I think the contest ends in March.
--------------------------
Ronin's current project...

Nieport 17c.1

Posts: 64 | From: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Sv
Member # 903

posted 02-15-2000 05:25 AM     Profile for Sv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep,

WWI is growing in SDOE fast - as more people get interested there will be a more and more complete WWI sim here. OpenPlane allows for us to create almost everything that is needed. And the future may hold additions to OpenPlane itself that allow for even more WWI focused features.

Some amazing things that you WILL be able to do in the near future (or even now!): man multiple positions in planes, ever want to rotate that rear machine gun around and take some shots? Take control of a ground AAA unit, try and shoot at the planes - or just whatch the planes attack your observation balloon! Take control of a zeppelin - turn the big wheel on the bridge! Also enjoy the real 3D cockpits with original instruments mounted to the inside of the fuselege and stuff. See the moving control stick and throttle lever on the stick. Fly low and be shot at by small gunfire from the trenches. Create your own custom squad based missions. Create your own historical squadron and missions - that can be used in on-line play! Easily create your own skins from simple templates - including the damage textures. Work the Lewis gun in the foster mount. Whatch engine damage spray your windshield with oil - or bullets shatter your windshield/instruments. Smooth realistic looking rigging, even aileron coupling wires that move with the ailerons! AI and human mixed on-line missions. AI control of un-maned crew positions in multi-crew planes. Complete custom WWI terrains and ground objects/targets. SDOE's famous puffy clouds! Overcast. Night missions. And many more things that you can think of!

Fun.

-Sv

SPOT
Member # 453

posted 02-15-2000 10:15 AM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info on SDOE/WWI - I have to agree after visiting the WEBsites on SDOE -
the reviewers ought to give it a second look
to see what the players are doing to that sim.

[This message has been edited by SPOT (edited 02-15-2000).]

Beery
Member # 3209

posted 02-16-2000 11:12 PM     Profile for Beery   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have any of you folks tried the new unofficial versions of Red Baron 3D? The community has done a lot to improve the game during the past 2 years. Go to my site at http://members.xoom.com/beery1/Baron.html to get an idea of what's out there.

At the moment, there's a lot of work being done on the 3D models for later updates - all of the planes are getting facelifts - bracing wires are being added etc.

[This message has been edited by Beery (edited 02-16-2000).]

Posts: 86 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.