my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Props   » Please help. Can't get Jane's WWII Fighters to run.

Author Topic: Please help. Can't get Jane's WWII Fighters to run.
Nathman
Member # 2317

posted 01-31-2000 08:23 PM     Profile for Nathman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm stuck. I've tried everything (re-installing, turing down all settings, etc,)
but I can't for the life of me get WWII Fighters to run. The same identical thing happens every time: After about a minute of flying, my computer either freezes or crashes back to the desktop. I have a couple of other sims that work just fine (USAF, EAW) so I don't understand why it doesn't run WWII Fighters.

My system specs are:
Dell P3 500Mhz
Diamond Viper 770 graphics card w/32MB
Turtle Beach sound card
128MB RAM

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I love what I see (for the minute or so that it runs) and can't wait to get into it.

Nathman

Posts: 3 | From: Winter Park, Colorado | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
JG26Jabo
Member # 160

posted 01-31-2000 09:06 PM     Profile for JG26Jabo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just read the review from the Video card u have installed on your system. If I were to take a wild guess I would say its your v-card. Go to the Diamond site and download the latest drivers for your card. If you have done that already check and make sure you have it in 16 True color...hope this helps
Posts: 141 | From: Greers Ferry, Ar. USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Greif
Member # 977

posted 02-01-2000 01:48 AM     Profile for Greif   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi, I've heard about some people having problems because of their soundcard. I had some crashes too, especially, when a number of different sounds (Gun + I can't get it open + bullets hitting my aircraft) appeared at the same time. If its this, it's a known bug, I didn't experience since updating to 1.08. Maybe you should upgrade to Vers. 1.08 before starting next time. Or try without music (gives around 3 additional fps on my PC) or without sound in general.

Just keep on trying! It's worth the pain!
Cu in Janes COmbatnet. And don't forget: I'll get you

Greif

[This message has been edited by Greif (edited 02-01-2000).]

Posts: 41 | From: Stuttgart, Deutschland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Nathman
Member # 2317

posted 02-02-2000 09:26 PM     Profile for Nathman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Greif!

It was the sound that was causing it to crash, even though I have the latest version (1.08). If I fly with the engine sound off, it works just fine. Loses a bit of the realism, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks again.

Nathman

[This message has been edited by Nathman (edited 02-02-2000).]

Posts: 3 | From: Winter Park, Colorado | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Judge
Member # 1634

posted 02-02-2000 10:42 PM     Profile for Judge     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nathman,

Try changing the engine sounds from complex to simple or vice versa. This is described in the readme.html file that was installed with the game. You can change the sound settings from within the museum interface (in the configuration area), or by editing the ww2.ini configuration file.

Hopefully, this should solve your sound problem. The sounds in this game are very good and it would be a real shame for you to have to play it with them disabled.

Also, since the problem seems to be sound related, try updating the drivers for your soundcard.

S.

Posts: 440 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.