my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Hardware / OS Discussions   » HOTAS Programming   » F22Pro, F16Tqs and Windows XP!!

Author Topic: F22Pro, F16Tqs and Windows XP!!
<FlávioGi>
unregistered

posted 11-26-2001 03:02 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hye,

that´s me again!!

I think that´s I was not so clear.

I´d like to know how can I configure the F22Pro and F16Tqs in Windows XP.

How can I download the buttons settings!!

Sincerely.

Flávio G.nullF22Pro, F16Tqs and Windows-XP

IP: Logged
James Hallows
Member # 2589

posted 12-04-2001 09:12 PM     Profile for James Hallows   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You cannot I'm afraid, unless you use a dual boot setup, or a bootable floppy (or of course Bob Church's Digital Chipset). Here's why (quoting from my FAQ:

10) Why can't I download to my TM controllers in Windows 2000/ Windows XP?

Ok straight off - if you have the original chipset in the F22/FLCS/TQS etc. etc., then there's no way you can download to the controllers under Win2k or WinXP. Period. The only solution is to download to the controllers either via a DOS boot up disk or to set up a dual boot operating system, and download outside of Win2k/XP. Once downloaded, you can still go and use the controllers within Win2k/XP. Of course, users with F22s, FLCS and TQS controllers can purchase Bob's digital chips and then use his Win2k/XP drivers. An interesting question was raised on the Foxy forum as to why this was the case - why you could use the controllers once programmed, but couldn't actually download to them. Well, over to Bob Church on this one ....

"They work once they're programmed because they look like a keyboard to the PC. The stick just sends keystrokes into the port itself, the PC can't tell the difference. On the other hand, the programming requires that the driver write to the keyboard port to transfer the program out into the stick. Win2K/WinXP won't allow direct access to the port except by the driver that owns the port (the system keyboard driver). Even then, the access isn't really direct, it does a WRITE_PORT_UCHAR which is really a call to a routine in the HAL and that routine eventually does the actual write to the port.

Since you can't get around the keyboard driver that owns the port, the only way to maintain the rather critical timing of the keyboard writes would be to replace the keyboard driver with one that you could send the whole program to and let it time the writes to the HAL. Then, if the call to the HAL didn't screw up the timing too badly and if none of the other system threads preempted your keyboard driver at the wrong moment, the data might transfer okay.

Even if you wrote the driver and could work around the timing problems, though, I'm not sure Windows would let you replace the keyboard driver. There's a rule against replacing system components, I think that Windows System File Protection would likely just restore the original and toss the new driver out.

Anyway, it's more work than it's worth to try to find out. There are Win2K drivers for the digital chips, you can always get a set of those.

James

--------------------

James "Nutty" Hallows
Thrustmeister ;)
Cougar World, Fox Two Pro, Homepage

Posts: 144 | From: Ipswich, Suffolk, ENGLAND | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.