my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » opinion about the future of military sims

Author Topic: opinion about the future of military sims
geishpmp
Member # 8657

posted 12-28-2000 12:35 PM     Profile for geishpmp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have yall read about the article on military sims. It's pretty sad how most companies are gonna go toward those lighthearted flight sims rather than the complex ones because of the money issue. The complex flight simes dont make them enough money, so they make the unrealistic ones. That to me is just depressing considering that I'm one of the few that love hard core flight sims. If you have not played a hard core flight sim, try it. It never gets boring because there is so much to learn. I suggest flanker 2.0. You never realy outgrow the game because you can make your own scenarios. Well, thats all I have to say about that article.
http://www.combatsim.com/index.htm#simfuture

Posts: 23 | From: houston, tx | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 12-28-2000 12:40 PM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's actually a 2-part problem. More realism=higher production costs, and more realism=lower sales due to intimidation.
I'm firmly of the belief that flight sims should have widely configurable options and install themselves on all the easiest settings so people can just "jump in" and fight without any trouble. The hardcore crowd are more likely to fiddle with settings, so they can go in and make it more realistic for themselves.
The Jedi Master

Posts: 477 | From: Coral Springs, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Top Gun
Member # 7586

posted 12-28-2000 01:31 PM     Profile for Top Gun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jedi, I totally agree with you. For one thing I think "most of us" can't give the time to study the manual the way it really needs to be to enjoy a game like F-16/18. Never mind all the tweaking that some of the great V pilots in here do. I'm totally amazed at the talent in here.

Realisticly, the higher priced sims that all the great pilots scream for are out of reach for the week end warrior like myself, the company would loose alot of money building a game towards such a limit sales group.

I still haven't looked through the manual for USAF but I can enjoy it just by using it's training missions. As much as I think F-18 is better sim, I just can dedicate the time to study and practice to the point where I can enjoy it as much as USAF.

F4 I hear is a great game but with all the patches and fixes I can get myself to buy it because of in depth manual I "hear" it has.

I do feel sorry for you serious simmers, it sucks that these companies are falling apart and no one seems to be stepping up in their place.

good luck with future sim

Posts: 99 | From: rochester, nh usa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 12-29-2000 07:52 AM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TG, I wouldn't say the F4 manual is really "needed" to use it. It's helpful, but you really need practice and experience with it--the manual just isn't sufficient by itself. You have to know when to do what.
The training missions are good, and you DO need the manual for those.
Without a doubt the best training missions I ever have seen were for Longbow 2. Flanker 2's training missions are almost as good, but not quite. F4's rank after those.
The Jedi Master

Posts: 477 | From: Coral Springs, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.