my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Whats The Best Jet Sim Out??

Author Topic: Whats The Best Jet Sim Out??
FIREFLYER
Member # 8755

posted 12-19-2000 04:07 AM     Profile for FIREFLYER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ive bought recently Janes USAF and I really like it....is there anything out there thats as good or better??
Looking for the Best Hands Down!!
Awesome Graphics so on ect.....

Thanks
www.geocities.com/joel2280

[This message has been edited by FIREFLYER (edited 12-19-2000).]

Posts: 2 | From: Sterling,Ak USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 12-19-2000 07:09 AM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oooh, that's a tough one. USAF is a "survey" sim, like IAF and Fighter Anthology before it. Most other sims are "study" sims, with just one plane in great detail, like Jane's F-15 and F/A-18, Falcon 4, Flanker 2, and even EF2000, if you go back far enough. The most recent of all of them is Jane's F/A-18, it's the only one that came out AFTER USAF. All the others are older, but their graphics are all fairly comparable.
What are you looking for?
The Jedi Master

Posts: 477 | From: Coral Springs, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snowfalcon13
Member # 7200

posted 12-19-2000 10:22 PM     Profile for Snowfalcon13   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Real simple there really are two depending on your system. Janes F-18 and Falcon 4.0. I just started flying F4 and have been flying JF-18 since Jan. Both are excelent but NOT EASY. Eye candy varies with the power of your system. Falcon has a dynamic campaign that moves weather your flying or not. JF-18 has a branched campain where the next mission depends on what you did or didn't do on your last mission. Both require patience and practice, and are very rewarding. The best part is the men and women who post in the forums here. They have taken both sims and made they more than the designer could have dreamed. If you have question ask in the forums. Anything from how to avoid SAMs to how much ram do you really need.

Just remember when you can do a manual carrier trap or a realistic refuel you really have done something.

------------------
Snowfalcon out.

But screw your courage to the sticking-place, and we'll not fail

Posts: 84 | From: California, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
[email protected]
Member # 8726

posted 12-20-2000 09:57 PM     Profile for BHerr11@msn.com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have tried both. F4 has a non hard core mode which is nice for us that dont want to spend hours learning the manual, Better graphics than Janes F/18 and hardware requirments not as steep!Overall a better sim IMHO. Downside to F4 - lots of potential and confusing patching!
Posts: 3 | From: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 12-21-2000 05:28 AM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TAW, often cheap on EBay and very easy to play, even as it is very hard to master.

Apache-Have/Comanche-Hokum, probably the best helo-eye-candy sims out there, just now.

HIND/F-16CFS/APACHE-D
A three-box set with ancient but crisp iconic graphics. Usually only about 10-20 bucks in the bargain bin.

JF-15
Didn't like it when I got it. Took it back. Considered a 'hallmark in simulation progress' when released. Terrible terrain graphics. Poor ACM machine. Inadequate campaign and tactics modelling. F-18 is an 'evolution of atmosphere' improvement of same. Also cheap.

WWIIFighters, EAW, MSCFS, and BOB. Prop Job sims. In order of descent. All pretty good most improved by aftermarket additions ranging from better graphics to new aircraft. 'Coming Soon' Il-2 Sturmovhik and B-17.

MiG-Alley. 1950's Korea. A mix of early gun-jets (MiG-15 and Sabre) and older prop jobs (AT-6 and F-51) with a pretty good campaign system. Like BOB a Rowan game. One of the few 'hard core' simulator builders still in business which means you can get support for their stuff and look forward to the next installment. Can be hard to get.

Crimson Skies. 'Another Take' on 1930's air combat. Almost more a role playing adventure game with characters being airplanes and dirigibles. Lots of 'out of body' slaughter fests and a pretty decent if damn picky graphics. Lot of 'crossover' buys of a title from a major software company, which means Full Price Payment.

Something to keep in mind on the common-two sims (as well as many of the above) elsewhere suggested in this thread is that they are NOT supported anymore. You get into trouble and you'd /better/ get help here, or you aren't going to get it anywhere. F4 in particular is pretty fussy and has a 200 page manual/6 week commitment to basic tactical awareness.
I also recommend a decent flight-stick/throttle combo (150 bucks++).

Janes (F-15/18) products tend to work immediately or never and are very stable if you can get them to play but very sllllooooww in overall execution and detail.

Microprose/Microsoft generally work ALL the time and offer median speed/eyecandy choices that are easy to tailor to preference.

If you want spice I would go with Comanche Havoc or Crimson Skies. If you want jets I would go with DID's TAW or wait for the upcoming EF-2000V3. You may have to order these online.

KP

Bonzonie
Member # 6287

posted 12-21-2000 05:43 AM     Profile for Bonzonie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you have USAF, I'm afraid there is no sim that can beat USAF's graphics. USAF's graphics are the best! You will find nothing better!

------------------
FS2K F-22 Raptor Support Page
Bonzonie's JF-18 Crazy missions and screenshot gallery

Posts: 246 | From: Yokohama city, Kanagawa pref, Japan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
RU1
Member # 8594

posted 12-23-2000 10:34 AM     Profile for RU1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Another that I thought I would throw in, is F22 Lightning 3. I have spent many hours with this game trying to master the art of dog fighting a jet fighter. I enjoy it for the ease of online playing. The graphics are a lot better than F18, and it takes some learning to get good at it, but it doesn't take a 100 page manual. My two cents.
Joe Doaks
Member # 8885

posted 12-24-2000 11:57 PM     Profile for Joe Doaks   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mr. Plummer:
MiG-Alley. 1950's Korea. A mix of early gun-jets (MiG-15 and Sabre) and older prop jobs (AT-6 and F-51) with a pretty good campaign system. Like BOB a Rowan game. One of the few 'hard core' simulator builders still in business which means you can get support for their stuff and look forward to the next installment. Can be hard to get.

I picked this thing up for 19.00 and loaded
it on my biege idol. I have a Diamond Viper 550, 64 MG Ram 233 MMx Machine. Serious issues. Took 4 attempts to add remove.
Got a couple patches. Attempted to load them
The Readme is about 8 pages long (English translation).

If you had these issues. How did you get around them. I want to fly the F-86. My favorite Jet of all time. I was surprised to read about what a DOG it was compared to the
Mig 17. Good thing there were more NK pilots than Russian ones in them things eh?

If you can help, I appreciate it.

My favorite Jet game is the ME 263 in EAW.
Typically take out a half a squadron of B17's in one mission. That 30mm is vicious.

------------------

Yak man
Member # 8785

posted 12-26-2000 11:04 AM     Profile for Yak man   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well Flanker 2.0 is nice, with good FM's and graphics though i would wait untill 2.5 is out in the first half of 01.

F-15 is my fave jet sim, i love everything about it!

IAF has a good focus on operations and history and (like all janes games) has lots of data straight from Janes All the worlds aircraft (or ships of the world) which both retail for about $300usd!

Falcon 4 is a great game once you patch it up, the community is great! The grapics are not as good as Flanker2 but convey more realism to them.

Jf-18 is ok if you own one of those computers that can beat the chess-master!

Nova-crap-jic's MiG-29 is a really fun mid range sim with a good amount of info on the featured jet.

European Air war is a GREAT WWII sim and with the community making lots of things get it now...real cheap!

Same go's for Jane's WWII fighters, only the graphics challenge the newer sims.

CFS1 was a great sim but below EAW and WWII fighters ( i played it every day for 4 mnths until i bought another game to play!)

CFS 2 is a bit of a let-down, i looked so forward to it but it is only average. Look for Battle of Britain and il-2

i think that is it, but don't overlook games like USNF 97 (extreem light core) and Falcon 3.0 gold (great value for money) you get it, the Mig-29 advesary pack, the f-16 tiger-strike addon, hornet 3.0 and a cool "art of the kill video plus the manual (pdf though) is a marvel with some of the best ACM stuff in a sim!
cheers, luke

Posts: 20 | From: Darwin, NT, Australia | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
ral
Member # 2748

posted 12-26-2000 11:09 AM     Profile for ral   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If your looking for the best modern jet combat sim...there are three I would recommend...Flanker 2.0, Falcon 4.0 and Jane's F/A-18.

Jane's F/A-18 is a bit short on the eye-candy. And my favorite, Flanker 2.0 is a little short on features and cannot be scaled down in terms of complexity.

I think Falcon 4.0 is the one your looking for. It can be sclaed down to a level similar to Jane's USAF.

By the way, Jane's USAF is a game...not a sim...

Just kidding.

------------------
http://www.dogfight.cjb.net

Posts: 868 | From: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
geishpmp
Member # 8657

posted 12-26-2000 05:27 PM     Profile for geishpmp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The most realistic flight sim out there is flanker 2.0. Some ppl don't like it, but it is usually because they are novices and they get aggravated by how realistic it is. Also, try and get the joystick and throttle combo from thrustmaster. The throttle has two levers that can be used for the engine that flanker has. It takes a while to master this game, thats why I love it so much. Most games I can finish within a week (those are the games that I consider to be bad).

quote:
Originally posted by FIREFLYER:
Ive bought recently Janes USAF and I really like it....is there anything out there thats as good or better??
Looking for the Best Hands Down!!
Awesome Graphics so on ect.....

Thanks
www.geocities.com/joel2280

[This message has been edited by FIREFLYER (edited 12-19-2000).]

Posts: 23 | From: houston, tx | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 12-26-2000 09:01 PM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
JF-18 is the best, hands down.

But you need about 1ghz to run it with no stuttering.

If you don't have that I would suggest Falcon 4.0.

Flanker has nice GFX and a pretty good flight model but that is about all it has. Bad gameplay.

And if you like the easier sims, like USAF, you should wait and see how good EF2000 v.3 aka Typhoon is when it comes out (in a few months I think).

Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
geishpmp
Member # 8657

posted 12-28-2000 12:19 PM     Profile for geishpmp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whistler, what do u mean by flanker having bad gameplay? I'm not mad or anything, its just that I have never tried falcon 4.0. I remember reading about the previous falcon games having millions of glitches and I never bought it. I would buy falcon if I had a fast enough system. How is the gameplay on falcon different from flanker? I just looked at the screenshots from falcon and the cockpit is very different from flanker in that it seems more advanced. Can you please explain to me the difference in gameplay b/n flanker and falcon. I'm considering buying falcon if it has minimal glitches and when I get a faster system. Right now, I can run flanker, but when I put all the settings on max(32 bit graphics and everything else), it gets a bit choppy.

PIII 500, 128mb, nVidia tnt2 32 mb, I usually run on 1024x768. Your replay would be greatly appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by The Whistler:
JF-18 is the best, hands down.

But you need about 1ghz to run it with no stuttering.

If you don't have that I would suggest Falcon 4.0.

Flanker has nice GFX and a pretty good flight model but that is about all it has. Bad gameplay.

And if you like the easier sims, like USAF, you should wait and see how good EF2000 v.3 aka Typhoon is when it comes out (in a few months I think).

Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 12-28-2000 12:37 PM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How to put this: F2 does what it does very well. But there are other things that F4 does that make it more enjoyable for some people. I guess I'll just list what F4 has that F2 doesn't.
Dynamic campaign.
Ground battles that happen in realtime.
Unpredictability.
3rd-party work that has created a virtual Falcon 4.5 with the fly any plane mods, B-1 and MiG-29 add-ons, realism patches, etc. In fact, with everything you can get for F4 now it's MORE different from the original release than F2.5 will be from F2!
Online ease of use. I've tried 3 or 4 times to do F2 online and haven't managed it yet. F4 is REAL simple to figure out.

F4 IS older, however, and "officially" dead, unlike F2. Aftermarket work continues on it, though. The original release came with the last great flight sim manual we may see for years, I think the current "bargain" copies only have an online manual.
I love BOTH. I think any fast-jet lover NEEDS both. <G> Being almost a year older than F2 means it should run better on your system. My P3-450 is great with it EXCEPT in the realism-patched campaigns. There is SO much going on (missiles, planes, explosions EVERYWHERE--no WWII sim has EVER had this much going on, except maybe the new BoB) that your PC is bogged down by that, not the graphics. It's CPU intensive, not video-intensive. I can't wait to upgrade my PC to a 1+GHz beast so I can REALLY enjoy that campaign, over 2 years after it came out!
The Jedi Master

geishpmp
Member # 8657

posted 12-28-2000 01:05 PM     Profile for geishpmp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you for your replay Jedi. Although I have to disagree with you about the unpredictability. Have you ever been in a dogfight in flanker. The ai has a different strategy every time.

quote:
Originally posted by Jedi Master:
How to put this: F2 does what it does very well. But there are other things that F4 does that make it more enjoyable for some people. I guess I'll just list what F4 has that F2 doesn't.
Dynamic campaign.
Ground battles that happen in realtime.
Unpredictability.
3rd-party work that has created a virtual Falcon 4.5 with the fly any plane mods, B-1 and MiG-29 add-ons, realism patches, etc. In fact, with everything you can get for F4 now it's MORE different from the original release than F2.5 will be from F2!
Online ease of use. I've tried 3 or 4 times to do F2 online and haven't managed it yet. F4 is REAL simple to figure out.

F4 IS older, however, and "officially" dead, unlike F2. Aftermarket work continues on it, though. The original release came with the last great flight sim manual we may see for years, I think the current "bargain" copies only have an online manual.
I love BOTH. I think any fast-jet lover NEEDS both. <G> Being almost a year older than F2 means it should run better on your system. My P3-450 is great with it EXCEPT in the realism-patched campaigns. There is SO much going on (missiles, planes, explosions EVERYWHERE--no WWII sim has EVER had this much going on, except maybe the new BoB) that your PC is bogged down by that, not the graphics. It's CPU intensive, not video-intensive. I can't wait to upgrade my PC to a 1+GHz beast so I can REALLY enjoy that campaign, over 2 years after it came out!
The Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 12-29-2000 07:45 AM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When I said "unpredictable," I meant more at a strategic level. Tactically F2 is excellent, and probably better than F4, although that would likely be an opinion that would vary widely. Strategically, however, is where F4 has its strengths.
The Jedi Master

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.