my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » F-15 demo

Author Topic: F-15 demo
AugerIn
Member # 8708

posted 12-16-2000 08:24 PM     Profile for AugerIn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After a multi-year hiatus from jet sims,(I last played Falcon AT, lol), I've decided to give this title a try.

Problem is, in the demo mission, my plane travels slower than the Red Baron's!

Using the keyboard to increase the throttle, kick in afterburner, etc. seems to do nothing.

It's not pc related(I don't think), as the demo runs very smoothly. Just no sense of speed, the terrain and planes are barely moving it seems.

Is this the way the game is, or what's up?

Also, what would you recommend as a quality, moderately priced hotas setup?
I've had CH products in the past.

TIA

-John

Lucky_1
Member # 352

posted 12-16-2000 09:51 PM     Profile for Lucky_1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are you talking about the "sense" or feeling of speed is gone, or is it a technical problem? How fast did it read on your HUD?

Also, When your up at high altitude moving a a fast speed, it will seem like your floating when your really moving out.

This is an older jet sim, and it really never excelled at Ground Detail. However, it is still an excellent sim(has remained on my HD since I got it). Perhaps if you're looking for a sim that has the so called "feeling" of speed, you might wanna try USAF or Mig Alley.

USAF has excellent looking terrain, if your machine can handle MAX graphics. Mig Alley, also with its graphics maxed, really has nice terrain. You also have more of the "feel" of speed with the superior FM of the planes, at least more respect for speed and gravity.

------------------
"Do not needlessly endanger your lives, until I give you the signal." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Posts: 635 | From: Knoxville, TN. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
The Merciful
Member # 3748

posted 12-19-2000 08:05 AM     Profile for The Merciful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What I have tried, Falcon 4 seems to have pretty good sence of speed as well. I'd like to know hows it with Jane's F/A-18.

------------------
- The Merciful - Utterly Bastard Groovy -
- The Infinity - Buda5 -

Posts: 15 | From: Jkl, Finland | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
DRAINO
Member # 4326

posted 12-19-2000 01:19 PM     Profile for DRAINO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really don't get a sense of speed with F/A-18, not even on carrier landings, it may be because my frame rates are so low. Falcon 4 has a great sense of speed down low.
Posts: 120 | From: Va. Beach, VA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
lars_ekstromer
Member # 4738

posted 12-21-2000 07:28 AM     Profile for lars_ekstromer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To get the throttle to work in the demo, you must have a throttle on your joystick or something like that. Otherwise it won't work.
Don't know why. In the real game this is not the case and an external throttle is not needed.

/Lars

Posts: 18 | From: Vaxjo, Sweden | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
flashyboy
Member # 8765

posted 12-21-2000 08:27 AM     Profile for flashyboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great sense of speed on my speed on mine:
P3 550
Voodoo 4500 agp
192mb PC100
WD 7200rpm 15.3 gb hard drive
sb16 pci
17" Viewsonic

Posts: 13 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
flashyboy
Member # 8765

posted 12-21-2000 08:29 AM     Profile for flashyboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry for the typing error above.
Posts: 13 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Yak man
Member # 8785

posted 12-26-2000 10:49 AM     Profile for Yak man   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
flashy boy, how does f-15 look on a V4?
And does the v4 come with 4x FSAA or only 2xFSAA?
thanks
cheers, luke

Posts: 20 | From: Darwin, NT, Australia | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Barron
Member # 325

posted 12-26-2000 01:17 PM     Profile for Barron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yak man:
flashy boy, how does f-15 look on a V4?
And does the v4 come with 4x FSAA or only 2xFSAA?
thanks
cheers, luke

Yak man, although you asked flashy boy, I hope you don't mind my responding. AFAIK, V4 is only capable of going to 2x FSAA. That said, JF-15 looks good with 2x FSSA and has >50fps. I have a V5 and run JF-15 @ 4x FSSA. Looks like a new sim and is one of the main reasons I won't let a GForce replace it. One other reason is LB Anthology.

Barron out

Posts: 392 | From: Greenville, North Carolina, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.