my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » JSF Whoooohooo!:-)

Author Topic: JSF Whoooohooo!:-)
Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 12-11-2000 07:30 PM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Took some patience but was well worth it.

Minor Snags:

1. The roll rate seems excessively 'aggressive' with very hard control force rise. Is there a way to dampen this?

2. Do I have to drop the flaps to lift off? I'm getting 160-170 knot lifts with a jet that has a 20K dead weight and 40Klbst installed.

3. The movies show up as 'rpl'. I can get the sound all right but the image is like a horizontal kaleidoscope with at least three movies ongoing and all of them fuzzy. I know our HP came with a Real Player as OEM but it doesn't seem to want to work so great. Can I pick up MPEG or avi alternatives? Or a free driver from somewhere?

4. For some reason, CTRL-arrows doesn't seem to want to slew the views. Is there a good set of F-16FS drivers to help set up the controls?

5. Gameplay/Campaign advice welcome...

Thanks All, Kurt

Mr_Pyro
Member # 4319

posted 12-12-2000 04:38 AM     Profile for Mr_Pyro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have u desertet the Falcon 4 comunity? ;-)
Kurt Ive posted some info (in the by now infamous "Swedish fighter" thread) regarding the Gripen and its possible off-boresight missile options.
Please check it out, The South African deal, gives the Gripen some intresting new aspects.

/Mr_Pyro

+G
Member # 6747

posted 12-14-2000 02:18 PM     Profile for +G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kurt, were you able to fix your joystick sensitivity issues? I tried the demo and boy is it touchy, played with the settings a bit but found that the pitch was too weak once I got the yaw & roll fixed.

I see this is available cheap, just wondering if it's worth getting.

Posts: 64 | From: Bedford, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 12-14-2000 09:32 PM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey G,

We're on opposite sides of the same mirror, I can't play the demo because it only allows 3DFX but tweaking the ESC-pulldown menu of the full version finally got me 'sufficient' lateral control to be worth it (reminds me a lot of Tornado where you get better cruise in autopilot and 'the view is better' in TRA-lo...;-).

I've got the dead zone set at about 1/4 and the X/Y at about 1/3rd and the rudder also about 1/4.

Rudder is still overcontrolled though the onset rate of response is better and now the only really nasty problem is in the takeoff and landing segments (SLS flat, don't try doing a tactical overhead with a short downwind) where I still get so much yaw drift that I end up overcontrolling with aileron as a preference.

That damn rudder is just a pain to manipulate in capturing the centerline and I always seem to forget that the autopilot steals the throttle setting which means cranking up the nose while the turbing spools from slow to full blow.

Taken together, this in turn causes you to 'waddle' on the backside of the powercurve where a reach for the sky act can drag the aft end. On the X-32 especially you have to grease it just right or you get a 'Damage! Damage!' from the female nag in the VOCOM.

Don't wait too long to go around. If you aren't careful the oversensitivity can have you jamming up both axes into PIO and driving the plane right off the glideslope or even the concrete.

The only solution is to slam it back into AP or hit L/evel and go around again. Takes a lot of guts to put the gear up when you've still got negative verticals and P&W are still whipping the rodents so a TRA poweron climbout will save your behind.

Clear as mud?;-)

Kurt Plummer

Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 12-15-2000 11:04 AM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have you tried ejecting yet? Limited in what you can do, but fun for the novelty! That's what WWII online is going to offer.
The Jedi Master

Posts: 477 | From: Coral Springs, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
+G
Member # 6747

posted 12-16-2000 06:25 AM     Profile for +G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My vote for the best eject sequence is still EF2000 ver 2.0.
Posts: 64 | From: Bedford, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Red Dog
Member # 5924

posted 12-16-2000 11:51 AM     Profile for Red Dog     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, but you can't walk all the way back to your base in EF2000. Not to mention draw your sidearm and finish off that SAM site.

------------------
"Boy, is this a machine..."

Posts: 64 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
DawgFart
Member # 8703

posted 12-16-2000 02:22 PM     Profile for DawgFart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kurt Plummer:
Took some patience but was well worth it.

Minor Snags:

1. The roll rate seems excessively 'aggressive' with very hard control force rise. Is there a way to dampen this?

2. Do I have to drop the flaps to lift off? I'm getting 160-170 knot lifts with a jet that has a 20K dead weight and 40Klbst installed.

3. The movies show up as 'rpl'. I can get the sound all right but the image is like a horizontal kaleidoscope with at least three movies ongoing and all of them fuzzy. I know our HP came with a Real Player as OEM but it doesn't seem to want to work so great. Can I pick up MPEG or avi alternatives? Or a free driver from somewhere?

4. For some reason, CTRL-arrows doesn't seem to want to slew the views. Is there a good set of F-16FS drivers to help set up the controls?

5. Gameplay/Campaign advice welcome...

Thanks All, Kurt

You gotta be kidding me. I'd rather play pacman.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.