my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Fleet Defender or Robin Kim

Author Topic: Fleet Defender or Robin Kim
Viking1
Member # 5

posted 11-23-2000 01:53 PM     Profile for Viking1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anyone have an old copy of this game? I need a scan of the box for an article I'm working on. Alternatively, does anyone have an email for Robin Kim?

thanks!

Posts: 917 | From: Kelowna BC CANADA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Marc
Member # 1774

posted 11-23-2000 02:55 PM     Profile for Marc   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have you checked MIGMAN'S Flight sim Museum
Marc..

Posts: 80 | From: St-Julie Quebec Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Viking1
Member # 5

posted 11-23-2000 07:20 PM     Profile for Viking1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep, checked with MiGMan and also MobyGames. Sheesh, I knew I shoudl have kept this one, gave it away two years ago..
Posts: 917 | From: Kelowna BC CANADA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rider
Member # 233

posted 11-23-2000 08:26 PM     Profile for Rider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Is this the box graphic?
Rider

[This message has been edited by Rider (edited 11-23-2000).]

Posts: 71 | From: Seattle WA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 11-24-2000 04:42 PM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm.. I don't know. It hits me that I've only seen the budget release...

------------------
Lead-Head's Simulation Site:
http://fly.to/lead-head

Posts: 775 | From: PiteŚ, Norrbotten, Sweden. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
tomcat
Member # 425

posted 11-26-2000 08:35 AM     Profile for tomcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's not the box cover that I have. I bought Fleet Defender Gold with my shiny new 486DX2/66 in fall '95, and it's got a white box with a cover like a book. -You know, it opens up like a lot of games' boxes do-. I think that box is from the original release though. I remember seeing it at Radio Shack I think.
Posts: 298 | From: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada JCN:strafe_rag | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 11-27-2000 11:16 AM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That is the original box cover, I remember it well. I barely remember FD Gold's box, and have no idea about later releases. But that one IS the first, on 3.5" floppies.
The Jedi Master

Posts: 477 | From: Coral Springs, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
tomcat
Member # 425

posted 11-27-2000 11:43 AM     Profile for tomcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Gold version had a VF-2 F-14 in the centre panel. Think they were using flares. Between that and the Hi-Viz, it was a nice pic.
The Sunset one was on one of the two manuals though.

I was thinking to myself a while ago, do 3d cards such as my lowly TNT1 actually make everything in a game 3d? What would Fleet Defender have been then? Was it 2D like say, an old Nintendo game, with just a flat background? I was just wondering if it and say, F/A-18 were both the same thing. Because you can pan around your jet (for example) in both. Are they comparable??

Thanks for any explanation..

Posts: 298 | From: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada JCN:strafe_rag | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Heretic
Member # 722

posted 11-28-2000 07:45 AM     Profile for Heretic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah i remeber having the box soewhere i was so fond of it and the box was/s so beauti***k that i kept it... if you nned a scan e-mail me [email protected]

PS its the white box of the gold version!!!!

Posts: 546 | From: Brasil, Rio de Janeiro | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 11-28-2000 09:54 AM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't confuse 3D with 3D-accelerated. All modern sims are both. Before '97, most were just 3D. 3D accleration arrived with the Rendition Verite and 3DFx Voodoo in mid-97.
Not all sims were quite 3D, though. The Lucasarts Battlehawks/BoB/SWOTL series was only slightly 3D. All the Dynamix Aces series were 3D, as was MPS' PAW:1942 and F-14FD. But none of those older programs were written for 3D-acceleration, so your TNT can do nothing for it. It's all 2D as far as the VIDEO CARD is concerned, even though it's 3D for the programmers.
The Jedi Master

tomcat
Member # 425

posted 11-28-2000 07:40 PM     Profile for tomcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, I had no illusions about my card helping it out.. I was just wondering if games that had, for example, objects such as ships and planes that you could pan around, and terrain that had mountains that weren't "cardboard cutouts", were in fact 3d..

I too have the White Gold box, but unfortunately I don't have a scanner... If a really good discription would help I could do that, but that's it.
Wish I knew more than one smilie face.. That red p.o.'d one cracks me up..

Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 11-29-2000 11:13 AM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, they're 3D. The old Wolfenstein 3D, BTW, was NOT 3D.
Here are some others for you:

The Jedi Master

tomcat
Member # 425

posted 11-29-2000 02:01 PM     Profile for tomcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, the third from right! I love that one, makes me laugh every time I see it.

Example:
My stick is acting screwy again, and I lost a 1v1 on Combat.Net

seabass
Member # 4997

posted 11-29-2000 02:34 PM     Profile for seabass     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have copy of Fleet Defender, I even still play it sometimes . That game was WAY ahead of it's time.
Posts: 184 | From: San Antonio, TX, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.