my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » A4 slyhawk

Author Topic: A4 slyhawk
tony draper
Member # 519

posted 11-22-2000 05:46 PM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just watched a good doc about the A4 skyhawk on discovery.
Cant think of any sim thats ever featured this fine aircraft.
Wonder if that vietnam sim will have it, if its ever finished that is. tony d

Posts: 1280 | From: england | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
JimG
Member # 153

posted 11-22-2000 06:03 PM     Profile for JimG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The "Scooter" used to be in Janes Fighters Anthology.
Posts: 1012 | From: Columbia, S.C. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 11-23-2000 09:55 AM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ya, Airwarrior Vietnam was gonna have 3 or 4 versions as well.
Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lucky_1
Member # 352

posted 11-24-2000 09:12 AM     Profile for Lucky_1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A4 was an excellent plane. Very Tough.

------------------
"Do not needlessly endanger your lives, until I give you the signal." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Posts: 635 | From: Knoxville, TN. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 11-27-2000 11:22 AM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Like many "A" planes, attack jets just haven't been popular for sims. Let's count the number of sims that had the A-4, A-6, A-7, or A-10? Not counting Sierra's 2 poor Hog titles, that makes 2--FOTI for the A-6 and the Jane's series for the others.
Let's face it, even the well-done Jane's F-15 was wrong in that you flew AA missions in Beagles--which is NEVER done. Sure, they have a self-defense capability, but they're not assigned CAPs!
Planes that don't have AA capabilities aren't "sexy" enough for sims. While the A-4 had a great dogfighting ability, it was a bomber! Guns and AIM-9s, if lucky, against opponents with better missiles and afterburners? Hey, other than FOTI there's no F-4 sim either, and that plane is famous! And I doubt we'll ever see one.
The Jedi Master

Posts: 477 | From: Coral Springs, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 11-27-2000 04:12 PM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And did you know that the 720 degree/sec rollrate (yup, two full rev's a second) is still the quickest of any US attack aircraft? The F/A-18 was supposed to have as rapid, but failed this spec. One very nimble jet!
Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
tony draper
Member # 519

posted 11-27-2000 07:39 PM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeh J M, i remember flight of the intruder, it was the sim that made me move to the p c, it was a bit to much for my poor old amiga.
get close to the ground and it turned into a slide show and was impossible to control.
Incidently i watched the movie a few weeks back, i had never bothered before because everybody rubbished it, i dont think it was a halfway bad aviation movie, daft ending but thats hollywood for you.

Posts: 1280 | From: england | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.