my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Got The JSF Demo, Now What?

Author Topic: Got The JSF Demo, Now What?
Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 11-20-2000 08:50 PM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay guys, you said I could run it in software mode but when I try the demo I get a
'required .DLL, GLIDE2XDLL is missing' or somesuch.

Since I just picked up the actual game on EBay for ten bucks, I'd sure feel a lot better if I could get the dang demo to run...

Kurt Plummer

Red Dog
Member # 5924

posted 11-21-2000 08:23 AM     Profile for Red Dog     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kurt,
Look in the main menu for 'Options'. In the options menu, go to the Graphics tab, and at the bottom uncheck the box for 3DFX. I know it's there for the sim, but not sure about the demo. Hope this helps.

All the best,
RD

------------------
"Boy, is this a machine..."

Posts: 64 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 11-21-2000 10:27 AM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Red Dog,

Boy I sure hope so, ten bucks or no, I'd really like to see the game after reading the CSIM review but was a little disgusted when I couldn't get past the EXE.

Don't suppose there is some kind of subdirectory file I could change settings for manually?

Thanks- Kurt Plummmer

Red Dog
Member # 5924

posted 11-21-2000 06:37 PM     Profile for Red Dog     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kurt,
I'm sorry I wasn't more specific in my last post. The GLIDE2X error you're getting is becuase 3DFX is checked in the graphics tab. If you don't have a Voodoo card in your machine (I think JSF can handle Voodoo 1 and 2's) then you won't get past the menu screens. If you leave the 3DFX box unchecked, then it will default to software (which is damned good IMHO). There is no file setting to change in the JSF directory.

Another great thing about the software version is that it will go up to 1600X1200. For a 1997 sim it is a graphical marvel! I really hope you enjoy it as much as I do. If you are looking for something to scrutinize and rate as technically accurate like you usually do, I'm afraid you probably won't like it. One thing I loved to do in the sim is lob JDAMS at 40,000 ft. at around 8 miles. If you use the target padlock inside the pilot's HMD then you will be able to drop the JDAMS from that far out, although you will actually be 'looking' through the floor of the cockpit. The HMD overlays target data no matter where the pilot's head is pointing. Oh yeah, one other thing, a good tip on winning campaigns quickly on the hardest of settings: Use the above technique to drop the JDAMS on primary targets and you'll render many SAMS useless. This is because at 35-40K ft and 8 miles out the SAMS will only detect you (if you store all weapons internally) when the bay doors are opened. By the time you open the doors and fire, and then close the doors again the SAMS still haven't reached you and the radar guiding has lost lock.

I've used the above technique to win the Russian campaign (#4) at ace level in just over 1 campaign day. Good Luck Kurt!

------------------
"Boy, is this a machine..."

Posts: 64 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 11-22-2000 08:43 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It also plays on Voodoo3's *just* don't install the 3DFX drivers that run at the menu
!
The highest setting regardless is 800x600 with 3DFX

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second greatest thing known to man!
The first is landing!!"

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SuperGroove
Member # 771

posted 11-22-2000 12:08 PM     Profile for SuperGroove   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now that you've got the demo, buy the game!!

$10 shipped from yours truly,
Paul

[email protected]

Posts: 800 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.