my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Not much of a Jet simmer, but....

Author Topic: Not much of a Jet simmer, but....
Aladar
Member # 6278

posted 11-20-2000 07:54 PM     Profile for Aladar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am thinking of getting a jet sim. I recently got EECH and I love it, and after playing that, I was wondering which jet sim to get. I was thinking of one of two games, Janes USAF (because of Vietnam) or Janes F/A-18 (because of the carrier ops.) So, which sim would you recommend and what ratings would you give them? Thanks alot.
CoryRG
Member # 6152

posted 11-20-2000 10:10 PM     Profile for CoryRG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
USAF and Jane's F18 are both great games but are both very different in realism and difficulty. USAF is fairly easy to learn, you can fly several different aircraft, fairly good sense of realism but still a little arcade-ish. F18 is very difficult to learn,tends to be a resource hog on your machine,very good sense of realism and excellent flight physics in my opinion. F18 is a study sim, you need to learn how to use the many different radar modes,MFDs,navigation systems,FLIR modes, etc... But once you learn enough about the sim you probably would love it.
As for campaigns, USAF campaigns do not branch and are not very realistic in my own opinion. F18's campaigns are branching and more realistic but it is not dynamic like EECH's. Overall F18 is my top favorite out of all of my flight sims, but I always go to USAF for a little toned down gaming.

Posts: 34 | From: Spring,TX, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Top Gun
Member # 7586

posted 11-21-2000 06:35 AM     Profile for Top Gun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cory, you nailed that perfectly. I bought USAF because I was just over loaded w/ F-18. I will go back but after I get my fill of USAF. USAF is so cheap right now pick it up no matter what.
If you have the extra money and extra time go w/ F-18, you will be in awe over the graphics and missions

TG out

Posts: 99 | From: rochester, nh usa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Barron
Member # 325

posted 11-23-2000 06:53 AM     Profile for Barron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun:
you will be in awe over the graphics and missions

TG out

Assuming you have hardware to run it. I'm running a P3 933 w/256 mb /V5 and while I'm OK with this, I still know there is a ways to go. I do love this sim though.

Barron

Posts: 392 | From: Greenville, North Carolina, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JimG
Member # 153

posted 11-23-2000 07:20 AM     Profile for JimG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Try Falcon 4.0...here's why:
1. Only $20
2. Excellent graphics
3. Top notch flight model
4. Fly the F-16...addictive
5. Tons of options in the game
6. Virtually every bug in the game is now fixed
7. By far, the best support community anywhere around
8. Tons of add-ons and downloadable programs to use to enhance the game. Stunningly beautiful third-party cockpits.
9. Will run effectivly on mid-level PCs (JF-18 will not)
10. And of course....DYNAMIC CAMPAIGN!

Posts: 1012 | From: Columbia, S.C. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Heretic
Member # 722

posted 11-23-2000 07:51 AM     Profile for Heretic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jim G right on the spot, you only missed 2 poins will be soon optimized for the DX8...
buy eRazor. enfasis in geforce card but also run great with voodoo all by comunity support without entering the reality patches that bring the hell out... to make the game more realistic.
range from as dificult as f-18 from as arcadish as USAF.

heretic

Posts: 546 | From: Brasil, Rio de Janeiro | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
RSColonel_131st
Member # 7607

posted 11-23-2000 09:13 AM     Profile for RSColonel_131st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hhmm, dont want to start a battle, but I just HAVE to do that:

"By far the best support comuunity out there"
is not just for F-16 valid.
Just remember Matt Wagner, EA,, who made a REALLY good addon campaign on his own (again, thanxs to him and the other guys involved)

And JF-18 WILL run on mid level PCs (266 PII here, with an ATI video card)

Flying the F-18 is also addticive, 'cause u get all this carrier ops...including ATC chatter and a lot of other navy planes flying around.

and a very cool fully clickable 3D cockpit.

JF-18 is not worser than F4

Posts: 310 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 11-23-2000 02:25 PM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Jim G right on the spot, you only missed 2 poins will be soon optimized for the DX8...
buy eRazor. enfasis in geforce card but also run great with voodoo"

1.08i2+RP4 (which I prefer over Erazor) seems to work better on Glide.

Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 11-24-2000 05:07 PM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:
JF-18 is not worser than F4

Except for one thing: The campaign. A well done dynamic campaign like the one in F4 cannot be beaten!

------------------
Lead-Head's Simulation Site:
http://fly.to/lead-head

Posts: 775 | From: PiteŚ, Norrbotten, Sweden. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 11-24-2000 10:41 PM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Check out the F-18 forum, JayP recently found a way to make dynamic FA-18 campaigns.
Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.