my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Is Jane's F15/F18 team still in the game?

Author Topic: Is Jane's F15/F18 team still in the game?
Hotdog
Member # 6839

posted 11-04-2000 03:43 AM     Profile for Hotdog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was just wondering, are these guys still in the ballgame? It is painfull to see some of the big names in the industry fade away, and I always had hope for the Jane's range. What happened to Skunkworks? Are they still making sims, or doing Pokemon for PS2?

Well, rock isn't dead, we've got some nice WW2 stuff, Flanker 2.5 and Flanker Attack! which seems like the only jet sims in the working, ok, and Typhoon, from which I understand has no working MFD's (correct me if I'm wrong).

So, any word on Skunkworks?

Posts: 31 | From: ZA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 11-04-2000 07:49 AM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Right now they are doing a racing sim but they will probably make another sim.
Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 11-04-2000 09:08 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes something like Jane's wipeout 2001

Hotdog You can expect more "arcade-like" sims(if you can call them that?) to come out in the future.Because of the "mighty" consoles they will be cross compatible as more companies concentrate on them first and probably port them to the PC? Or as in IL-2 have an open architect rather than a dynamic campaign.
The likes of Typhoon will be the first signs of back to the roots days of gameplay rather than wading through huge manuals.You know the scene ? once you have not played for a month or two-you forget the keys! *But* it has a full dynamic campaign!

More money was lost through fantastic production costs of "bible" like manuals(Jane's) than was recouped through sales of the actual sim! Hence the reason for the demise in the genre.I personaly would like to see more money spent on the sim rather than a spiral bound manual....Jane's USAF comes to mind. So if Typhoon has basic MFDs and fantastic gameplay *that's exactly what i want!*

I have no problem with pick up and play sims.....life's fast enough!

"Rock isn't dead".....man i don't know what era your from, but have you seen Black Sabbath,Deep Purple,Whitesnake,Ozzy,AC/DC or Def Leppard on the box or touring? That's what you call rock.....and those guys are as close to death as can be!

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second greatest thing known to man!
The first is landing!!"

[This message has been edited by Tracer (edited 11-04-2000).]

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 11-04-2000 04:00 PM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
According to CJ Martin they are up to something...

I have a short writing about it with a link to some SimHQ discussion in the bottom part of my news updates. It right on the main page of my site.

URL in my signature.

------------------
Lead-Head's Simulation Site:
http://fly.to/lead-head

Posts: 775 | From: PiteŚ, Norrbotten, Sweden. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hotdog
Member # 6839

posted 11-05-2000 12:21 AM     Profile for Hotdog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice one Tracer!

Thanks Lead-Head, although your link was dead, I found your page with Google, and found the link. From what I understand, it seems like a "high-end" sim, which I hope is not racing sim. If it is a flight-sim, we can speculate for hours on which type of thing this would be.

Let's hope for the best >;-0

Posts: 31 | From: ZA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 11-05-2000 12:49 PM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ehh? The link works perfectly for me. What was your problem?

Note that SimHQ's servers seem to be a bit flaky. I dunno what's wrong really...

------------------

Posts: 775 | From: PiteŚ, Norrbotten, Sweden. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Su-27
Member # 7566

posted 11-05-2000 01:18 PM     Profile for Su-27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Whistler:
Right now they are doing a racing sim but they will probably make another sim.

The best Flight sim dev. team in the world! Reduced to making a racing sim!!!!!!!!!!!! What is wrong with the world!!!!

I hate pokemon and all those consoles and anything that interfers with Hardcore flight sims. I mean what's the point of a racing sim??? To drive a car, boring!!! I wanna shot something from the air!!

Good thing i've got F4, jF/A-18 and Flanker 2 to keep me busy.

------------------
Best regards,
Su-27

Posts: 223 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 11-06-2000 02:23 PM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Driving a car, boring? Where do YOU live? Down here, going to the grocery store is a heart-pounding, adrenaline-pumping, tire-screeching, life-or-death gamble that you don't have a fatal accident! You can't worry about the non-fatal ones, those happen daily.
Plus there are so many HOLES on the road here that it's like racing a VERY hostile field, and I feel like the Intimidator fighting Wonder Boy to beat the red light!
The Jedi Master

Posts: 477 | From: Coral Springs, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
patriotSTORM
Member # 1265

posted 11-06-2000 09:34 PM     Profile for patriotSTORM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jedi Master: most of us refrain from using formula ones to get to the local cornerstore! After all, the price of petrol is not cheapp..or are you using nitrogen?
Posts: 404 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 11-07-2000 04:58 PM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, around here everyone drives SUVs! The bigger the better...Ford Excursion and Expedition, Lincoln Navigator, Cadillac Escalade, Lexus LX800, etc, etc. Makes me in my Camry feel very small...
The Jedi Master

patriotSTORM
Member # 1265

posted 11-07-2000 09:43 PM     Profile for patriotSTORM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aha, that explains it. You use speed to make up for your small size. It's a medical condition, you know
Posts: 404 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 11-08-2000 11:00 AM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll have you know I'm still slower than the SUVs! My flat-4 135hp can't compete with those lumbering V-8 250hp+ behemoths! I suppose if I got a Vette or a 911 I could beat them, but only until I got run over!
The Jedi Master

Outlaw
Member # 1733

posted 11-08-2000 11:25 AM     Profile for Outlaw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"No, around here everyone drives SUVs! The bigger the better...Ford Excursion and Expedition, Lincoln Navigator, Cadillac Escalade, Lexus LX800, etc, etc."

ROFLMAO!!! SUV's in Florida!! I'll bet everyone of those SUV owners wears a sweater, carries a cell phone, hugs a tree at least twice daily, and has mastered the fine art of which beach sandal goes with which type of wine.

-Outlaw

Posts: 212 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 11-09-2000 02:52 PM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, not too many sweaters in FL!
They're mostly the soccer mom-type, thinking they're safer than in a car and enjoying being able to see over the cars (not that they can see over other SUVs or trucks, which dominate the roads now).
While you'd think high gas prices would make people shy away from these hulking gas guzzlers, they embrace them like it's a religion or something.
The Jedi Master

LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 11-10-2000 10:45 AM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Say, how would you people like to pay 1 USD/litre?

------------------

Overkill
Member # 5169

posted 11-10-2000 03:14 PM     Profile for Overkill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The team from Baltimore is not dead but it is true. They are doing a racing sim. However, Matt Wagner, one of the lead programmers for F18, just released a fully functional add-on campaign for F18 free. Really nice. So the team, in a sense, still shows interest in sims and I suspect that they will return to its roots sooner or later. Afterall, Andy Hollis is also part of the team now. He designed F15. O

OT: Tracer, are you suggesting rock is dead? Not in the least. Arena (glamour rock) possibly, but not rock. In fact, AC/DC and Def Leppard just past through my area (Dallas) a few weeks back. AC/DC has a new album and Def Leppard released one last year. And Tony Iomi from Black Sabbath just released an EXCELLENT solo album featuring various artists like Ozzy. Other hard rockin' groups include Pantera, the Mighty Met, Megadeth, Static X, Stone Temple Pilots, Dream Theater, progressive rockers, Creed, Godsmack...the list goes on.

It's relief because the Top 40 bubblegum, putrified, formulated corporate crap that is being released now just makes me sick. (Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys, N-Sync)

[This message has been edited by Overkill (edited 11-10-2000).]

Posts: 597 | From: Midlothian, TX, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.