my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » F-15 Engines

Author Topic: F-15 Engines
TWalt
Member # 4647

posted 10-26-2000 01:02 PM     Profile for TWalt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
CJ or anyone else,
Is there anyway to modify the thrust in Jane's F-15 to represent the current -229 engines?? I know your extremely busy what with the F-18 campaign and the "other" EA project. Any chance you could throw us avid F-15ers a bone?? I'm beggin!

Storm
Member # 1480

posted 10-27-2000 01:06 PM     Profile for Storm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TWalt,

Not all of the Mughen fleet are flying the -229 motors. Some are still using the -220 engines. I believe that's what they modelled in Jane's F-15. I've not seen any "Toolkit" released to edit hardly anything with the game. Good luck if you can do anything, and please let us know. Thanks.

Storm

------------------
"When Gorillas fly, Migs die!" 58th F.S.

Posts: 606 | From: Crestview, Florida USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lucky_1
Member # 352

posted 10-27-2000 09:55 PM     Profile for Lucky_1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Even with the 220 engines it seems under-powered in the sim. I've seen F-15E's with 220 engines take-off and go straight up on AB, through the cloud layer, and then disappear.

When I try this in JF-15, even with a clean AC, you can barely make it to 10000' before the stall warning comes on.

What happened to that Thrust to weight ratio advantage?

------------------
"Do not needlessly endanger your lives, until I give you the signal." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Posts: 635 | From: Knoxville, TN. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 10-27-2000 11:34 PM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Ho,

I agree that the F-15 is sluggish and the difference of nearly 11Klbst would be an improvement, though I understand Lakenheath and Elmendorf (Eilsen? KS? I forget) curse and mutter about their 229's reliability.

I seem to recall the guy who did the ATF toolkits had a little something for either Longbow or JF-15 as well. Maybe both but I don't remember whether it was skins and pilots or something more profound.

There is also a dedicated JF-15 page out there on the net somewhere and I bet The Wild Bunch would at least have someone who could tell you if it's been done before.

Sorry I don't have any LINKS but Dogpile.com or Northernlights should pull them up.

Lastly, it should be remembered that the F-15 has a 'combat plus' type switch which restores full baseline power for a few hours before mandatory pull and component check.
If this F-15E Viking takeoff was for an acknowledged (airshow) demo; it's possible that they had the VMax switch flipped.

23-25Klbst may not sound like much (hell it may be even less, 20-22K to 24K or something with an unacknowledged lifing derate) but X2 and you've just offloaded 20% of your fuel...
weight.

And gas+can is the true performance killer in any GTW bird anyway...;-)

Kurt Plummer

Brister
Member # 1233

posted 10-28-2000 06:16 AM     Profile for Brister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Even with the 220 engines it seems under-powered in the sim. I've seen F-15E's with 220 engines take-off and go straight up on AB, through the cloud layer, and then disappear.
When I try this in JF-15, even with a clean AC, you can barely make it to 10000' before the stall warning comes on.

What happened to that Thrust to weight ratio advantage?

Weight is what happened, CFT's, fuel etc. You sure that wasn't a C model you saw? Anyway, it's also a matter of technique. If you see an E model do a max performance climb, they will usually accelerate down the runway then go vertical. Also at air shows, FCF, etc they generally have only as much fuel on board as they need. In JF-15 if you take down some fuel you can do a pretty impressive max climb and get up there.

quote:
Lastly, it should be remembered that the F-15 has a 'combat plus' type switch which restores full baseline power for a few hours before mandatory pull and component check. If this F-15E Viking takeoff was for an acknowledged (airshow) demo; it's possible that they had the VMax switch flipped.

Well, uhhh, VMAX doesn't really work that way, and it's not likely he saw it because it's prohibited in peacetime.

Hey Storm, How's life in the bustling metropolis of Crestview? I have a brother in law, and some buddies that live there. Life with the "Dirty Turd" still lots of fun? We'll probably come retire there after we're done with overseas tours. I'd kill for your weather right now!

I still wish Jane's would put F-15 II on top of it's "to do" list. Complete with -229s and all the other upgrades.

Later,

Brister

Jeepster
Member # 5558

posted 10-28-2000 07:39 AM     Profile for Jeepster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There is a site out there called "Papa Doc's Pink Flamingo" (or something similiar) that has a link on the main page to another one called "Real Life" (again, or something similiar).

Scroll down a bit and you will see a very interesting discussion on this very subject.

Sorry I can't provide a link but I'm too lazy to find it in a search engine myself so I'll leave it for you to find!

Definitely worth visiting though!!

Posts: 115 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lucky_1
Member # 352

posted 10-28-2000 09:20 AM     Profile for Lucky_1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not sure about this, so I'm asking:

Is the reason the upgrade to the 229 engines because of two reasons?

The first being that the 220's just have too many hours on them.

And the second, if the F-22 had come out when it was promised to, they would not have planned to upgrade the entire fleet. I think I remember seeing somewhere that because of delays in the program that the F-15 would be in use much longer than anticipated.

anyone?

P.S. Kurt, keep it short.

------------------
"Do not needlessly endanger your lives, until I give you the signal." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Posts: 635 | From: Knoxville, TN. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 10-28-2000 09:43 PM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Let's see: E is heavier than C, engines are optimized for low-alt performance, etc, etc.
I remember reading somewhere that due to readiness concerns all "nonessential" F-15C squadrons were running their engines detuned to 80% power!

Also, Brister, I just got a reply from CJ over at SimHQ where he told me, and I quote, "a hardcore flight sim is pretty low on the 'wish list' right now." Sucks, don't it?
The Jedi Master

Posts: 477 | From: Coral Springs, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Brister
Member # 1233

posted 10-29-2000 01:25 AM     Profile for Brister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jedi Master:
Let's see: E is heavier than C, engines are optimized for low-alt performance, etc, etc.
I remember reading somewhere that due to readiness concerns all "nonessential" F-15C squadrons were running their engines detuned to 80% power!

Also, Brister, I just got a reply from CJ over at SimHQ where he told me, and I quote, "a hardcore flight sim is pretty low on the 'wish list' right now." Sucks, don't it?
The Jedi Master

Definately a major drag. Nobody else could do it justice so it's not like you can even hope somebody else will do it. Oh well thanks for the up date.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.