my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Help, please

Author Topic: Help, please
F-16Man
unregistered

posted 10-01-2000 07:04 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello all,

I've been running Norton Utilities from Day 1, unaltered. Now System Doctor tells me that there are new virus defs and an update. If I update NU, can it do anything to my sims or video card (ATI All in Wonder 128 32MB)? I run F2, IAF, USAF, FC, 688i, & MSFS98.

Thanks for all your help,
F-16Man

BTW- Sys. specs are:

eMachines 433
92MB of RAM
4.3 Gigs, but only 1.6 left
40X CD Rom
ATI All in Wonder 128 32MB

IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 10-01-2000 08:11 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Your safest bet is to leave it as it is unless you specifically want the extra virus defs etc. Norton often delves into Windows and it may replace a few system files which could cause problems though it is most unlikely to cause you graphic problems.

If you are not too comfortable tinkering with Windows then my advice would be leave your machine as it is. A definitive answer is difficult to give as it depends on what Norton is doing via its update.

If it were me I'd probably do the upgrade even if it meant re-installing Windows, sims etc but I am comfortable with Windows.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Posts: 613 | From: Windsor, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 10-01-2000 08:14 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just looked at your system specs again. Leave it alone! You're very low on disk space and upgrades with low disk space is not recommended.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Posts: 613 | From: Windsor, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
F-16Man
unregistered

posted 10-01-2000 10:12 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey daveb,

Thanks for your quick response. First of all, why is it dangerous to add new virus defs and an NU update at 1.6 Gigs? Second of all, I checked the NU site (http://www.symantec.com/nav/indexA.html) and I couldn't find much info. Could you please check? And if I get the update, could it really screw W98?

Thanks,
F-16Man

MonsterZero
Member # 5722

posted 10-01-2000 11:14 AM     Profile for MonsterZero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It is highly unlikely that new virus definition files will do aything to your computer other than protect it from vicious new viruses that pop up all over the world at the rate of several new viruses every day.

To an owner of a computer keeping virus definitions up to date is one of the top priorities.

I cannot think of anything definition files could do to your video card drivers or your games...They install into a unique directory inside your Norton Antivirus directory and simply sit there untill they are needed bu the virus protection software. They cannot get into your video card driver directory, and even if they did they could not overwrite anything because of different file extensions and names.

There are isolated situations when virus protection software fights other programs for resources and causes crashes, but these
are a result of the general architecture of the programs in question, not virus definition files.

I update my definition files at least once in two weeks. I recommed that in the interest of using the Internet with any reasonable degree of safety you guys learn this habit as well.

Protect your computer! You can let your woman go, but you cannot let your computer get hurt!

[This message has been edited by MonsterZero (edited 10-01-2000).]

Posts: 442 | From: Worth, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
F-16Man
unregistered

posted 10-02-2000 02:06 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any other suggestions?
yoogo
unregistered

posted 10-02-2000 03:01 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
in my opinion you're not low on disk space at all. windows gives a warning when you have 100mb or less left, now that is low diskspace. i would say 1.6gb is very low if you usually have about 1.5gb of virtual memory (very, very doubtful). 1.6gb is fine, i've been at .7gb left and had no problems.
F-16Man
unregistered

posted 10-02-2000 04:08 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So what should I do? Anyone?

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.