my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » War Lost??? But Why???

Author Topic: War Lost??? But Why???
MonsterZero
Member # 5722

posted 09-30-2000 09:20 PM     Profile for MonsterZero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For God's Sake!

After several weeks (human time) of grueling combat I completed Operation Highland-the first campaign I ever completed in my aging classic Total Air War.

I lost! I achieved only 30% damage level of military targets (60% was required to win) All despite the fact that almost nothing was left standing in the enemy towns I visited while performing my assigned missions! Check out the screenshot from my statistics after the campaign:

I turned that god forsaken Sudan upside down! After taking out the main objective I leveled entire towns around it, mission after mission after mission. My guys and I shot down at least 5 A-50 AWACS planes. I was awarded several CMOHs for strafing airfields on my way back home, with a score of 15, 20 or 25 planes destroyed for every of these. Nevertheless, my score was climbing agonizingly slowly, at most 1% damage for even the most successful sortie. No wonder I couldn't get the reqired 60% damage of military targets in the available time.

Anybody knows what is going on and why? I did get my plane shot from under my ass a few times, but suspect that had nothing to do with the final outcome.

[This message has been edited by MonsterZero (edited 09-30-2000).]

Posts: 442 | From: Worth, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
+G
Member # 6747

posted 10-01-2000 11:30 AM     Profile for +G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Same thing happened to me. I stopped playing it.

I'll watch the answers with interest.

Posts: 64 | From: Bedford, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 10-05-2000 07:26 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have just completed the first campaign "Operation Highland" and lost it with 46% damage out of 60%!
I had flown a fair amount in the AWACS which i believe contributed to my downfall.
I moved from 20% damage to 46% in about 17 left of the campaign-flying solidly the F-22.
Attacking "enemy barracks" jumped my percentage on average 4% per sortie(although some of the targets were pretty far from home,which shortened my time)I used Mav's- that way i could guarantee a "kill per shot"(about 6 buildings destroyed per mission)Wingmen were pretty hopeless with dumb bombs,rockets or Mav's.So i took there share
Looking at your score sheet:
I had around 39hrs flying time
500+ plane kills
less statics destroyed than you
around the same ground vehicles

I reckon i could have won the campaign if i had jumped in the F-22 sooner It was just a bit tooo boring the amount of time the campaign went on for and the silly amount of enemy planes launched at you?
Certainly can't see myself progressing past the first campaign if the other nine are harder!(which they are quoted as being hence the need for points to progress to them)

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second greatest thing known to man!
The first is landing!!"

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
rudra0
Member # 2550

posted 10-05-2000 10:21 AM     Profile for rudra0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The most realistic campaign in TAW is the Ethiopia- Eritrea Campaign. I can't remember the name, but you fly to help Eritrea against an Ethiopian Invasion. Of course, if you want realism, you should really get ADF and the MAW editor. That would let you specify the number of planes you and Red have, so there's no respawning BS.

MickeyB
unregistered

posted 10-06-2000 06:45 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My tactics which i picked up from the Infogrames site are as follows.At the campaign start take out as many enemy planes and airfields as well as your mission objectives to lessen enemy air activity.Now say you are after military targets you want to hit only these targets, hitting anything in sight won't raise your military percentage. It will raise the percent for other types of targets but these may never be targets the camapaign requires you to attack. So if you click on the military button on the map it lists targets with numbers, when you fly the mission load extra Mavs change waypoints to overfly other military targets and take them out. This way your percentage will increase much faster.
IP: Logged
MonsterZero
Member # 5722

posted 10-07-2000 05:04 PM     Profile for MonsterZero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MickeyB:
My tactics which i picked up from the Infogrames site are as follows.At the campaign start take out as many enemy planes and airfields as well as your mission objectives to lessen enemy air activity.Now say you are after military targets you want to hit only these targets, hitting anything in sight won't raise your military percentage. It will raise the percent for other types of targets but these may never be targets the camapaign requires you to attack. So if you click on the military button on the map it lists targets with numbers, when you fly the mission load extra Mavs change waypoints to overfly other military targets and take them out. This way your percentage will increase much faster.

The strategy of hitting several targets in various locations during one sortie is something I haven't thought of before...Instinct tells me that this is the solution.

I will have to find a way to plan such a mission. The mission planner allows me to mark targets for only one target area per sortie, but I may be able to move some waypoints around so I can at least overfly other target areas, close enough for visual identification.

Thanks for help everybody.

P.S. I finally ralized like MickeyB that taking out secondary targets (such as office buildings) while fun, is counterproductive. It has little no effect on the overall campaign and costs valuable time.

I still don't know what to do in CAP missions. Those missions require flying over a waypoint and going back. If I fly over the required waypoint but the enemy is not present, should I orbit waiting for bandits to show up (eventually they will but again time will be waisted) or should I head back home with 0 kills?

[This message has been edited by MonsterZero (edited 10-07-2000).]

Posts: 442 | From: Worth, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
MickeyB
unregistered

posted 10-09-2000 01:41 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MonsterZero your question about cap missions once again load some Mavs fly to your waypoint then head to the nearest enemy airfield and hit some ground targets.Head back home land stop on runway to rearm refuel then go straight back and reattack the airfield.This is a good way to wipe out bases close to the border very quickly, opens up the sky for strike missions.
IP: Logged
Tomcat84
Member # 1075

posted 10-09-2000 09:35 AM     Profile for Tomcat84   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Havent played TAW for quite some time, but i do remember that the one campaign have succesfully completed is the one where you attack Somalia from Djibouti. Djibouti is small, but has lots of airfields, anyway, because its so small, caps will always be close together and enemies will have a hard time penetrating, furthermore, Somalia also doesnt really have an offensive strategy.

Try that campaign, i liked it.

Strike force it is called i think

Posts: 356 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.