my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Fighter('s?) Anthology

Author Topic: Fighter('s?) Anthology
Nikon
Member # 6793

posted 09-25-2000 06:15 PM     Profile for Nikon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi I was wondering if there is still a FA site that offered LIB files? I forgot what they are called som im just guessing. But anyways, everysite I've gone to is dead, I re-installed this last night, it's still on of the best sims ever IMO.
Posts: 69 | From: Northeastern Ohio | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erwin J
Member # 3444

posted 09-26-2000 01:39 AM     Profile for Erwin J   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, it hardly rates as a *sim* sim,but I agree, it's still a lot if fun. What I like very much is the fact that you can make missions of just about every scenario you can think of. An the reference part is probably the greatest.

Some of the sites you're looking for:
GrepP's 714 Lib, my personal favorite VarkLib

Of course there's GT's lib, but I don't have a URL, because he keeps being thrown of ISP's faster then I can keep up with .

EJ

[This message has been edited by Erwin J (edited 09-26-2000).]

Posts: 88 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
SavoirFaire
Member # 780

posted 10-11-2000 09:58 PM     Profile for SavoirFaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

I have several of the Libs you are referring to (swingwing, tomcat, voice, etc). ICQ me at 50601210. This is a Fighters Anthology list that has been building since well before Janes took her last dump.

ICQ# 50601210

------------------
SavoirFaire is everywhere!!........

Posts: 29 | From: Newport Beach, CA USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ace
unregistered

posted 10-12-2000 09:04 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erwin J:
Well, it hardly rates as a *sim* sim,but I agree, it's still a lot if fun.

Erwin J, what does this mean? Every "sim" is just a game. Every computer and video game is made for entertainment.

Let me remind you, computer and video games will never, never, never, never, emulate real life, ever. It just will never happen.

Good Luck

IP: Logged
The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 10-12-2000 01:22 PM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Roger that ace. A sim is one of those expensive things that Airlines, Air forces, and Transport Ministries use.
Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ace
unregistered

posted 10-12-2000 02:05 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You are right, Mr.The Whistler. The United States Air Force does use simulators to train pilots, but their simulators cost millions of dollars. A guy can't go down to the local CompUSA in town, buy Flight Simulator 2000 for $50.00, and expect to get the same results. Oh, the USAF doesn't just use simulators. They still have their trainees go up in REAL airplanes every once in a while.
IP: Logged
JimG
Member # 153

posted 10-12-2000 03:15 PM     Profile for JimG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
2 libs for FA: http://users.compuzone.net/jimg/flightsimpage.html
Posts: 1012 | From: Columbia, S.C. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Member # 4363

posted 10-12-2000 04:51 PM     Profile for Avatar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For what it is worth, there are two real-world F-16 pilots who have used Falcon 4.0 to practice landings before having to shoot landings in the "real" simulator under an I.P.'s watching gaze.

One of these pilots is responsible for much of the landing tutelage that has been found on Paul Wilson's website. He uses the same methods to land the real F-16.

So, if a $40.00 game requires (or at least accepts) the use of real world techniques to be successful, is that not a good measure of what makes a good sim? And, at what point does said "sim" start to equal their military counterparts? In the areas of classified information, and not much else, I would think.

Erwin J
Member # 3444

posted 10-13-2000 01:59 AM     Profile for Erwin J   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
>Erwin J, what does this mean?

It means that stuff like avionics isn't modeled after it's real life counterpart, but has a more generic, simplified way of operation. It means that (out of the box) the FM's do not resemble the FM's of the real life counterparts.

The thing that got me into sims was curiosity about how all that stuff in modern jets works. In that respect I don't rate Janes FA as a 'sim-' sim, even though I really like the game.

>Every "sim" is just a game

Well, that's the thing. It isn't, is it? If that were true I would have as much fun playing Quake or Carmageddon as I would playing LB2 or JF15. The good sims are a bit more then 'just a game'.

>Let me remind you, computer and video games will never, never, never, never, emulate real life, ever. It just will never happen.

Sorry, disagree. While they will never will be able to emulate every thing about real life, the best sims come close to real life, don't they? I mean, JF15 has more to do with contemporary military affairs then Half Life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those guys that think that because he knows how to play F4, he's able to drive a Viper. You have to be realistic about sims.

But your above statements grossly ignore what sims are about. Of course they're entertainment. But entertainment comes in different shades and forms, doesn't it? And I happen to like the more realistic shade.

>A guy can't go down to the local CompUSA in town, buy Flight Simulator 2000....

And the Award for this years Best Performance in Stating the Bleeding Obvious goes to....

Avatar: Roger that. Moreover, a couple of months ago there was something in these forums about the USMC using MS-FS to speed up the candidate-pilot track. Candidate would get a couple of hours instruction in a real plane and then they got access to a PC with the order 'Go practice'. Apparently it worked.

EJ

[This message has been edited by Erwin J (edited 10-13-2000).]

Posts: 88 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.