my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Anybody tried one of those "free" ISP's?

Author Topic: Anybody tried one of those "free" ISP's?
Lucky_1
Member # 352

posted 09-24-2000 07:18 PM     Profile for Lucky_1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has tried one of the supposedly free ISP's? As a college student, things can get pretty tight financially and a free ISP seems like a good idea.

Does anyone know if they are free for a certain amount of time? Are they flooded with advertisements? How is the On-line playing capability?

Does anyone have any certain company to suggest? Thanks in advance.

------------------
"Do not needlessly endanger your lives, until I give you the signal." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Posts: 635 | From: Knoxville, TN. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Casey
Member # 873

posted 09-24-2000 08:33 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How's it going Lucky?

I tried a few of the free ISPs. They were truly free, just often loaded with ads and banners which you can't turn off. HINT: make sure they don't even ask for a credit card number at signup- then you know it's free. They will ask a lot of questions, to use you for marketing research, etc.

I kept a free Juno account on one of my computers at work, just for the heck of it. It's pretty reliable and the connections are usually solid.

I would suggest you try it- nothing to lose, right? You can order a CD or download it from their website.

Good hunting.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Envelope
Member # 275

posted 09-25-2000 11:02 AM     Profile for Envelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ditto on Juno. One thing you might want to consider is whether you can fly on line or not. I was able to do that with WorldSpy, but WorldSpy is no more.
Posts: 2057 | From: Davis, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Viper18372
Member # 6383

posted 09-26-2000 01:54 PM     Profile for Viper18372   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hated AOL, it was slow for the money you payed, then I got Juno for free it was nice despite the heavy ads. I finally gave into buying Cable service for $30.00 a month and I am settling with Cable.

~VIPER OUT

Posts: 171 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Timbo
Member # 1789

posted 09-26-2000 08:48 PM     Profile for Timbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow! $30 for cable modem internet! Through ATT/MediaOne cable, I pay $40 a month.

-Tim

Tim's USAF Page - Click Here to Visit!

[This message has been edited by Timbo (edited 09-26-2000).]

Posts: 709 | From: Palatine, IL, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.