my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » EH?! SPACE SIM SECTION REMOVED?!?!

Author Topic: EH?! SPACE SIM SECTION REMOVED?!?!
Mispunt
Member # 3500

posted 09-18-2000 02:43 AM     Profile for Mispunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nothing much happened there realy... never the less I liked it because it was sort of independend. Serious posters(?) who like them for what they are and the only place where hardcore sims and space sims met....
(I would really like a hardcore pseudo sim someday....)

Oh well....

Oh and bye bye Gunship! too....

[This message has been edited by Mispunt (edited 09-18-2000).]

Posts: 182 | From: Rotterdam, The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
UGH!
unregistered

posted 09-18-2000 07:15 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HEY?!?! I was gonna say the same thing..well there has'nt been much in the way of a space "sim" (well..something thats not a star wars blaster?) But go here:
http://www.talentforwar.net

check out the latest shots of IWAR2, Im in tears of joy waiting for this..you gotta give Particle Systems major kudos for their quality of work and attention to detail, those guys ROCK

IP: Logged
patriotSTORM
Member # 1265

posted 09-18-2000 11:06 PM     Profile for patriotSTORM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't blame combatsim for the removal, as there has been a distinct lack of traffic, yet I am sad that it has been removed. Oh well, once Microsoft puts out Space Simulator 2, I'm sure we will be treated to a new forum.

------------------
With a heart of furious fancies,
Whereof I am commander,
With a burning spear and a horse of air,
To the wilderness I wander
-Tom O’Bedlams Song

Posts: 404 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
StugIII
unregistered

posted 09-19-2000 10:06 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know I would have visited and posted if Babaloyn 5 would have made it, or if a good Star Trek game would be developed (like original or Judgement Rites). I wonder if any developer ever considered doing a game based on UFO or Space:1999?
JD
Member # 6702

posted 09-21-2000 09:33 PM     Profile for JD   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, Space1999!!! What a great show. When I was younger I used to watch it all the time and IMHO it was better than startrek Space 1999 had great flying effects, like coming in for a landing and the nose cone came apart among many other things. That show was really scary not like the phylosophical discussions they had on enterprise.

I really liked how real the spaceship looked. Nostalgia is kicking in I'm afraid that if I watched the show today I might form a different opinion of it, less sophysticated or maybe not. I just wish a usa tv network would show reruns. But I can dream...

Posts: 6 | From: Arizona | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jedi Master
Member # 3223

posted 09-22-2000 09:33 AM     Profile for Jedi Master   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Judgement Rites? That's not a Star Trek sim, it's an adventure game. I can't wait for SFC2 and Dominion Wars, myself.
The Jedi Master

Posts: 477 | From: Coral Springs, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dino
Member # 74

posted 09-22-2000 02:31 PM     Profile for Dino   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hardcore Spacesim? Startrek? Babalony 5?

Just the fact you play a game based on a tv show makes me wonder how hardcore it really is.

Now if there were a sim for say, Apollo 13, now that would be fun! (and realistic, thus hardcore)

Wait, I think I hear a quake game starting. You guys better run and catch up before they start!

Posts: 206 | From: Millbrae, CA USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
StugIII
unregistered

posted 09-22-2000 10:47 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Boy if this ain't a kick in the pant's! now Sci-Fi is hardcore too! Give me a friggin break! Sci-Fi is based about the unknown the intangable, Apollo 13? come on you can't be serious, that's real life not Sci-Fi. I noticed neither of you (Jedi Master or Dino) even responded about UFO or Space:1999, which makes me wonder just how Sci-Fi you two really are! Star War's! please! kid's stuff compared to Star Trek, UFO, Space: 1999, Babaylon 5, 2001SO (just to name a very few), I was weened on this stuff since I was old enough to read, by the master's of Sci-Fi, not George Lucas, or Steven Spielberg (whatever)!
Dino
Member # 74

posted 09-23-2000 01:52 PM     Profile for Dino   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's the point....I am not.

Semper Fi maybe.

Sci-Fi never.

If I want Sci-Fi, I will read the post made by people who think that a Sci-Fi space sim or a FPS like quack excuse me quake are hardcore.

Posts: 206 | From: Millbrae, CA USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
StugIII
unregistered

posted 09-23-2000 02:42 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just remember allot of what you are seeing today WAS Sci-Fi 40/50/100 yrs ago. The old saying goes Science Fiction today, Science fact tomorrow! I'm not sure if were crossing wires here Dino, I'm no way into Quake or Half Life or any other FPS crap for that matter. My personal feeling's are I wished these games would have never happened, they have pulled away almost all developer's from simulators, Military and Sci-Fi.
Aaron
Member # 2158

posted 09-23-2000 02:42 PM     Profile for Aaron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dino,
Hardcore doesn't mean real, it just means realistic. A space sim can be very realistic if it uses accurate physics for the modeling. If you don't like space (sci fi) sims, don't drop by and read.
And if you think F4 is real, go try to get a ride in an F-16 based on your skills with F4.

Posts: 56 | From: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ral
Member # 2748

posted 09-23-2000 07:43 PM     Profile for ral   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I will miss the space sim forum. Just got my first space sim myself two weeks ago (StarLancer) and have comleted it twice (finnished it the first time without suceeding to accomplish all objectives, did it better the second time around, but Steiner is still dead and Ivan Petrov alive).

Good break from F2 and F4.

Yes, the traffic was a bit thin. But where do we go nw to post or ask questions about sace sims.

------------------
http://www.dogfight.cjb.net

Posts: 868 | From: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
unregistered

posted 09-23-2000 08:11 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ral:
I will miss the space sim forum.
<Snip>
But where do we go now to post or ask questions about space sims.

You guys do know the Space forum is back up now dont you?

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.