my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » jet sims, which one?

Author Topic: jet sims, which one?
kjuice
Member # 1495

posted 09-14-2000 04:15 PM     Profile for kjuice   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i have checked around looking for a modern sim. i dont like the complexity of falcon 4 and didnt want somthing overly simplified.
i have rounded it out to purchase janes usaf.
i think it is what i am looking for.
do any of you in the post have any yea's or nays for it. or perhaps some other suggestions?
thanks, i will check back frequently for your input.

Posts: 153 | From: canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
ecoli
Member # 467

posted 09-14-2000 05:13 PM     Profile for ecoli   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Even though it's a classic, I strongly suggest EF2000 V2.0...GREAT SIM...nothing else to say.

------------------
"america the free? who ever told you that is your enemy!"
-RATM

Posts: 278 | From: Osaka Japan | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Envelope
Member # 275

posted 09-14-2000 05:30 PM     Profile for Envelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
USAF might be what you want, but from what I've seen of the demo, its still pretty complicated. Are you refering to the complexity of the simulation or the complexity of the aircraft itself that is the problem? Falcon 4.0 has an instant action mode with unlimited weapons for both air to air and air to ground. There is also a dogfight mode where you can choose just one or none for the number of opposing aircraft. If the airplane itself is the problem, you might want to check out MIG alley where the older jet aircraft are a bit more simple to fly and fight with. I don't think the missiles are seeking type, but everything else is bound to be simpler. I need to point out that I haven't actually booted up MIG Alley.
Posts: 2057 | From: Davis, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ozias
Member # 4579

posted 09-14-2000 07:17 PM     Profile for Ozias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Try Flanker 2, if you can still find it (It seems it has been recalled, due to the 'imminent' release of Flanker 2.5)

Pros:
Russian aircraft, avoids the 'not another F-XX simulator' syndrome
very good flight model
good graphics (examples attached to end of post)
comprehensive mission/campaign editor
Wide range of russian and US aircraft modelled in AI
Fly All Aircraft patch available for 2.01 version
Su-39 patch available for version 2.02
Add-on cockpits, scenery, camo schemes
Capability to record and replay mission videos
Pretty stable online multiplayer
Relatively simple avionics

Cons:
Scripted branching campaign
overpowered 'warp-speed' AI aircraft in 2.02 version
missile lethality exaggerated

Eat hot soviet lead, Maverick!

[This message has been edited by Ozias (edited 09-14-2000).]

Posts: 334 | From: London,UK | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Heretic
Member # 722

posted 09-14-2000 09:35 PM     Profile for Heretic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well,
As i own flanker 2.0, the only thing i can say is the fack that if you talk with screenshots its a sure winner, men this sim is from far the most beautifull on the market.

Donīt discard Falcon 4 for its complexity if you dumb down the complexity is real easy.Now if you donīt want to have to manage missiles and the like, MIG aaley or any latter ww2 sim is your kind....

Heretic

PS : If you have an older glide card Voodoo 2 or less, EF2000 V2.0 is the way to go.

Posts: 546 | From: Brasil, Rio de Janeiro | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Timbo
Member # 1789

posted 09-14-2000 09:44 PM     Profile for Timbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
USAF is a great sim. You can see some screenshots at my site (URL below) or Troffmeister's USAF Gallery It is a really fun sim despite what people say about the flight model. The graphics are top-notch!

-Tim

Tim's USAF Page - Click Here to Visit!

[This message has been edited by Timbo (edited 09-14-2000).]

Posts: 709 | From: Palatine, IL, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mad Jack
Member # 6289

posted 09-14-2000 11:40 PM     Profile for Mad Jack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
kjuice,

Try IAF. There's enough realism in avionics, flight model, AI and terrain to keep it interesting...but it's REALLY FUN. Focus is on tactics and 'flying', not on cockpit switchology.

The Mid East sim topic is interesting, and there are a variety of player aircraft modeled. F-15, F-16, Mirage III, Kfir, Phantom 2000/F-4E and of course the Lavi. They left out the A-4 in the game.

A drawback is there are too few missions in the campaigns. There's a mission builder to make your own though. It runs great on an older system and you can get it for $15.

There was a nice 2nd reference CD on the real IAF, but I don't know if it comes with the $15 version.

kjuice
Member # 1495

posted 09-16-2000 01:41 PM     Profile for kjuice   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks for all the help gents, as for complexity, in not into swicholigy in the cockpit. i run sdoe and eaw. so i enjoy the realistic flight characterisics without the worry of all the electronic gadgets. i never thought about mig ally. i tryed janes iseraily sim and found the graphics to be lacking in the demo version. the other consern was price( i live in canada). i dont want to pay lots for a sim i just cant get into or will not use to its full effect. i will check out this flanker sim
thanks all and i will check back in a few days or more.
one more thing, i have a amd 400 with 64 meg ram and 32 ati vid card. i am some what limited for some games.

[This message has been edited by kjuice (edited 09-16-2000).]

rsalo
Member # 1722

posted 09-16-2000 03:30 PM     Profile for rsalo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
kjuice,
I would suggest Mig Alley, it bridges the gap between WW2 prop fighter's and Modern Jet's very well. Just one word of caution with MA, (which by the way is on sale at EB's for $19.99USD) the FM is VERY (and most times painfully) accurate! I've read Envelope's post (which I agree USAF is a good sim) and I think he is going to be in for a suprise when he fires up MA! You will constantly find yourself on the razor's edge between the ideal & correct flight envelope, and spin's, flat spin's and stall's! This is accurate for jet's of this era, it may sound intimidating, but once you master it you will have a hard time putting this game down!
Most of the skill's you learned flying WW2 sim's will serve you well with MA, the main weapon's in the game are .50 cal, 500lbs iron bomb's and the rocket's are the WW2 unguided variety.

[This message has been edited by rsalo (edited 09-16-2000).]

Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 09-16-2000 06:19 PM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd suggest MiG Alley if you hate shooting at dots in modern sims and can't stand the slow speeds that go with WWI and WWII sims.
Posts: 1352 | From: Prescott, AZ | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
rsalo
Member # 1722

posted 09-16-2000 06:41 PM     Profile for rsalo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Major Tom,
Where the hell have you been lately? Is Rowan keeping you that busy! Have anything interesting to tell us about BoB or MA

Mad Jack
Member # 6289

posted 09-17-2000 12:20 PM     Profile for Mad Jack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
kjuice,

One last note. With your system specs, I don't think you'll fully enjoy USAF. Best to go with at least P3 500, and double your current RAM and a V3.

As for Flanker 2, you won't see the high-end grfx, but your specs will give you at least medium/hi-medium performance.

It's cheap now, but you may want to hold out for the upcoming 2.5 Enjoy, man.

kjuice
Member # 1495

posted 09-17-2000 04:12 PM     Profile for kjuice   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok, thanks for all the help. i will have to keep an eye out for ma, sounds like the game is right up my ally. im startin to lean allittle to falcon due to all the info im getting. but it is a pricey game here. as i posted in the other site, if falcon was not available, what would you have as your best jet sim?

[This message has been edited by kjuice (edited 09-17-2000).]

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

Đ COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.