my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » very old flight sim

Author Topic: very old flight sim
neonjohn
Member # 6658

posted 09-12-2000 10:12 AM     Profile for neonjohn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, i let a friend boorow a game called Strike Commander. It is a DOS game. You work for a mercenary squad in the near future. ANYWAYS- I played it on my old 486 in windows 95 but whne I got my new system which had Windows 98 I installed it in windows and I kept getting error messages. Like no CD found or whatever. I ran the program by clicking on the icon in winodws etc. Do you think If i just exited into DOS, then installed the game in DOS, and when i want to run it just exit into DOS then run it from DOS not windows, do you think it will work???Thanx John
I want to know before I get it back.

[This message has been edited by neonjohn (edited 09-12-2000).]

Posts: 66 | From: near DC, Maryland, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
tony draper
Member # 519

posted 09-12-2000 10:43 AM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think you will have to make a dos boot disk specific for strike commander,there seems to be a resurgence of people running older dos based flight sims at the moment so you may get beter advice for them,
i remember strike commander well, at the time the graphics where ground breaking but a lot of people where very anoyed at the size of the program 40 megs i think, bearing in mind most of us just had a 42 meg hard disks at the time,
i also remember feeling slightly guilty playing it, it seemed a bit much for a serious simmer to be playing a flying cowboy but i remember enjoying it very much,apart from getting my arse singed by that maintainence man every time i dinted my f16
good luck with getting it running ,,,tony d

Posts: 1280 | From: england | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Heretic
Member # 722

posted 09-12-2000 11:48 AM     Profile for Heretic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Men this IS old...
Yeah twas good a pitty those Russian planes where like sitting ducks in Knife fight....

Heretic

Posts: 546 | From: Brasil, Rio de Janeiro | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
PositiveG
Member # 469

posted 09-12-2000 03:34 PM     Profile for PositiveG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can you post the specifications for the game, that is, memory requirements, etc..

Also does it need the CDROM?

I can probably help you create a boot diskette to make things work.

PS - Do you have the Windows 98 boot diskette or the CDROM drivers for DOS?

Posts: 52 | From: Bedford, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
neonjohn
Member # 6658

posted 09-13-2000 09:53 AM     Profile for neonjohn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know you need the Cd, ill have to get u more info later. And yes, strike commander is a very good sim.

------------------
"In the end there will be only 2 things, a man and his jet."
Get the point?
Buttons out-

Posts: 66 | From: near DC, Maryland, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ozias
Member # 4579

posted 09-13-2000 05:38 PM     Profile for Ozias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You could also try F-16 Aggressor from Virgin Interactive, basically it's Strike Commander updated for 3D cards with a better flight model.

Pros:
good graphics
pretty good F-16 flight model
reasonably varied scripted missions

Cons:
6 fixed cockpit views: HUD, full cockpit,left MFD, right MFD, left outside and right outside
No view pan in cockpit
No padlock view, only way to track enemy planes is to use the slewable external view

[This message has been edited by Ozias (edited 09-13-2000).]

Posts: 334 | From: London,UK | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Norwegian
Member # 4578

posted 09-14-2000 03:18 AM     Profile for Norwegian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OOOOhhhh Strike Commander.

I remember the hard work getting enough memory!

It was great fun flying the canyon though.

Btw anyone know if you can d/l a boot disk for my old DOS games?

I read a thread about Shuttle the other day and I would like to try it again.

Posts: 181 | From: Oslo,Norway | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.