my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Falcon 4.0 Long Load Times ...need help! :)

Author Topic: Falcon 4.0 Long Load Times ...need help! :)
Bytor Aragon
Member # 6608

posted 09-05-2000 08:39 AM     Profile for Bytor Aragon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
System: P3 500mhz, 128megs of ram, tnt stock on 2x agp. SBLive! Value

I'm having very long load times to get into the "game" itself. I sit and stare at the "pie pieces" for upwards to a minute or more with the campaign or the quick starts or when trying to fly the training missions. I'm using the F4Patch as recommended in the article from this site. Any suggestions to reduce this time? Will a new graphics card speed up the time?
Thanks for any help!

[This message has been edited by Bytor Aragon (edited 09-05-2000).]

Posts: 16 | From: U.S. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 09-05-2000 08:53 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry my friend the Graphics card *has nothing to do with load times*
I have been were you are about 1 year ago.
The answer to your question is plain and simple-----<more RAM>-------
I take it you must have 64mb or there abouts?
jumping to 128mb will reduce the load times drasticaly! I even bunged in 192mb to see if it made anymore difference but it didn't.
RAM coupled with a fast-ish(and cheap-ish) Gcard ie V3AGP,TNT will blow your socks off!

But more RAM is the immediate answer
Also make sure that you have at least 1Gig spare on your HD for Win's Swap file and the games *own* swap file.....the more space on your HD will allow faster access as opposed to a *full* cramped HD

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second greatest thing known to man!
The first is landing!!"

[This message has been edited by Tracer (edited 09-05-2000).]

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bytor Aragon
Member # 6608

posted 09-05-2000 01:55 PM     Profile for Bytor Aragon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tracer:
Sorry my friend the Graphics card *has nothing to do with load times*
I have been were you are about 1 year ago.
The answer to your question is plain and simple-----<[b]more RAM
>-------
I take it you must have 64mb or there abouts?
jumping to 128mb will reduce the load times drasticaly! I even bunged in 192mb to see if it made anymore difference but it didn't.
RAM coupled with a fast-ish(and cheap-ish) Gcard ie V3AGP,TNT will blow your socks off!

But more RAM is the immediate answer
Also make sure that you have at least 1Gig spare on your HD for Win's Swap file and the games *own* swap file.....the more space on your HD will allow faster access as opposed to a *full* cramped HD

Tracer

[/B]

I have 128 megs of ram on the boat itself, and I thought I had enough HD space for the swap. I will check however. I have a 16 gig harddrive.

Posts: 16 | From: U.S. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 09-05-2000 04:34 PM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ooops
Well that's about it then 7,200rpm HD 128mb is as fast as it gets in loading terms....the only other thing you could do is tone down the graphical sliders a bit(drawing distance etc) not too much. As *all* extra detail that you set is loaded pre-start of game and requires time

Cheers
Tracer

------------------
The first is landing!!"

Toecutter
Member # 436

posted 09-05-2000 07:03 PM     Profile for Toecutter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Bytor!

There is also an other option:
Put a shortcut to the exe you use in F4 on your desktop.
Right-click on it-scroll down to properties-click on that.
It will show you the a command line highlighted, my PR. one looks like this:

C:\MicroProse\Falcon4\iBeta_F4_RP3.exe -noloader -nomovie -pf 100

Regardless of which version you are using the -noloader "switch" will help you get into the cockpit sooner. Just make sure you have a space in front of the "-noloader" switch.
You can set cockpit preferences to let you execute the particular mission sooner/better, while you wait for the rest of the graphics to load into your vid-card.
Hope this helps.

Next time c`mon and ask at the F4 forum: we `re there to help...and troll

Now mahbe you could help me out: Bytor Aragon???

[This message has been edited by Toecutter (edited 09-05-2000).]

Posts: 1724 | From: States | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JimG
Member # 153

posted 09-05-2000 07:17 PM     Profile for JimG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Getting an extra 128 Mg. of RAM will make your load times decrease substantially after when you enter a mission after the first time. Initially, F4 loads the stuff into RAM, but 128 just isn't enough to hold it all.
Posts: 1012 | From: Columbia, S.C. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 09-06-2000 07:40 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Win98 can't handle anymore than 128mb,you have to change it to a Network Server for it to utilise anything over and above 128mb even then it's not optimised???
As for F4 i play it with 128mb *then* bunged in 192mb(i have 3 PCs at home so i can pillage memory)and it didn't make the slightest bit of difference-loading or in the campaign Maybe micro differences but that's all....more a placebo affect i think
Besides if anything over 128mb is needed a *very small* swap file (if any) is needed and will not speed the game up in anyway.
With 128mb the HD light only ever flickers in x2 or x4 time skip.
B-172 on the other hand *needs* 256mb and above for loading it's procedural texture system which i believe Win2K utilises RAM better than crappy '98 which hogs it.

PIII500
128mb SDRAM
7,200rpm HD
V3 3000AGPx2
[email protected]

Tracer

------------------
The first is landing!!"

ice705
Member # 4800

posted 09-06-2000 08:58 PM     Profile for ice705   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love that kind of talk.
Posts: 131 | From: waltham,ma usa | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.