my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » The big deal with Typhoon?

Author Topic: The big deal with Typhoon?
Nartman11
Member # 4282

posted 08-27-2000 01:07 AM     Profile for Nartman11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just wanted to see the simmer's perspective of this upcoming game. Graphics wise, and prolly gameplay and flight modelling will get me hooked. However, from what i've read, there will be no cockpit ...sorta. Just some pop up windows like the old USNF days. I personally hate that. But....has anyone heard otherwise? Would be a shame with all the goodies such as graphics, dynamic campaign, and stuff. Any ideas?

SkullWarrior0
unregistered

posted 08-27-2000 03:12 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Originally posted by Gamespot.UK:

To translate the dogfighting experience to the small screen, the Multi-Function Displays are presented as simple windows, and not as a separate look-down view. Purists may complain that this is not photo-realistic, but the effect is far more authentic in replicating the pilot's instrument scanning pattern. The padlock, virtual cockpit view is tremendous, with canopy reflections enabling you to stay oriented while eyeballing your adversaries.

IP: Logged
tony draper
Member # 519

posted 08-27-2000 04:15 AM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I,d, fly a shoe box with a jet engine bolted on if someone would bring such a sim, i love f4 and flanker but we fast jet simmers have been starved for a long while of a new landscape and new scenario to fly in, i,m looking forward to typhoon...tony d
Posts: 1280 | From: england | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Victor
Member # 249

posted 08-27-2000 05:06 AM     Profile for Victor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nartman11:
Just wanted to see the simmer's perspective of this upcoming game. Graphics wise, and prolly gameplay and flight modelling will get me hooked. However, from what i've read, there will be no cockpit ...sorta. Just some pop up windows like the old USNF days. I personally hate that. But....has anyone heard otherwise? Would be a shame with all the goodies such as graphics, dynamic campaign, and stuff. Any ideas?

What was originally posted by Gamespot.UK is somewhat misleading..and vague. What is sound like they're trying to explain is that DID took out the full screen MFD views. The popup windows are nothing new..both EF-2000 and TAW have them. As well as Falcon4. If they took out the full screen MFD views I don't see that as a big deal at all.

TAW had a great 3D cockpit with working MFDs. From the look at some of the cockpit screen shoots from Typhoon; this looks to be the case here. As long as the MFDs work in the cockpit view (like they did in TAW) we're OK.

Of course now to find out of they're clickable.

Posts: 236 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Nartman11
Member # 4282

posted 08-27-2000 03:08 PM     Profile for Nartman11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thats what i'm hopin for. If i have a cockpit view, i'm fine. No doubt that i'll use the pop-up windows...but still i like to have some sort of well authencity in the game. I understand that since this is a PC game though, things are done to make it easier to replicate certain experiences that are only represented in the real deal.

Anyone know when the games gonna come out?

Victor
Member # 249

posted 08-27-2000 04:25 PM     Profile for Victor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nartman11:
Thats what i'm hopin for. If i have a cockpit view, i'm fine. No doubt that i'll use the pop-up windows...but still i like to have some sort of well authencity in the game. I understand that since this is a PC game though, things are done to make it easier to replicate certain experiences that are only represented in the real deal.

Anyone know when the games gonna come out?

Q1 2001, Possibly January is the latest word.

Nartman11
Member # 4282

posted 08-27-2000 07:17 PM     Profile for Nartman11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do'h, i was hoping for Oct. I can use a game that has a dynamic campaign. F4 is working for me right now, but its occassional illegal operations do get annoying.
SkullWarrior0
unregistered

posted 08-28-2000 03:15 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gavin Bennett said october.

"Kill and kill again...that is just a reflexive action."

IP: Logged
ral
Member # 2748

posted 08-29-2000 05:51 AM     Profile for ral   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The big deal...for the F4/F2/JFA-18 crowd...there is little else in the horizon except for F2.5/Flanker Attack and Jetfighter IV (which appears to be a lite sim).

If it is simply an updated TAW (better graphics and fully dynamic ground war)...that should keep us happy.

So the pickings are thin but Thyphoon promises to make this year memorable for jet simmers.

[This message has been edited by ral (edited 08-29-2000).]

Posts: 868 | From: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SkullWarrior0
Member # 6512

posted 08-31-2000 03:55 AM     Profile for SkullWarrior0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Hmm, I've heard that there will be no Multiplayer in Typhoon, right?

And will there be a missiondesigner like in "Super EF2000" and NOT in "TAW"?

"How could he hit me, he is just an animal!"

Posts: 22 | From: Germany | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Takeshi Shiroyama
Member # 551

posted 08-31-2000 08:33 AM     Profile for Takeshi Shiroyama   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If it the graphics are better than USAF and the cockpit is like the one in JF-15 (with functioning MFDs) with the padlock capability of EF2K I will be very happy.
When ever I just want to "fly" EF2K is still my favorite sim.

craig2
Member # 2791

posted 08-31-2000 07:52 PM     Profile for craig2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought that the game was to be from the pilot perspective. I do not see how a popup
window represent the pilot view of flying.
EF2000(not V2} and TAW wide angle view seem
to represent a pilot persective in airplane.

Posts: 12 | From: Glen Burnie, MD | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Victor
Member # 249

posted 08-31-2000 11:00 PM     Profile for Victor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig2:
I thought that the game was to be from the pilot perspective. I do not see how a popup
window represent the pilot view of flying.
EF2000(not V2} and TAW wide angle view seem
to represent a pilot persective in airplane.

Pop-up windows as in the small MFD that popped un in both EF-2000 and TAW. Their is a VERY nice virtual/3D cockpit in Typhoon that you can get a glimpse in a couple of the screen shots that have been released. You can also see a little animation of the cockpit in the little preview they did the PS2 version of the game. So don't worry, you got a nice pilots perspective in the game.

Going back to the pop-up windows though. You can see them in one of the cockpit screen shots as well. Don't know if they behave differently than those in EF-2000 and TAW, but they perform the same function.

Victor
Member # 249

posted 08-31-2000 11:03 PM     Profile for Victor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SkullWarrior0:

Hmm, I've heard that there will be no Multiplayer in Typhoon, right?

And will there be a missiondesigner like in "Super EF2000" and NOT in "TAW"?

"How could he hit me, he is just an animal!"

Don't know about a mission designer; (which would be NICE) but they are multiplayer/coop missions. It's the campaign itself that can't be flown in multiplayer.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.