my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » DI's latest game

Author Topic: DI's latest game
Ralph
Member # 5510

posted 08-16-2000 05:57 AM     Profile for Ralph   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ign.com has a preview of the next Digital Integration game. Details can be found at http://ps2.ign.com/previews/15007.html. It appears that serious sims have finally died at DI as the next game looks like 'Afterburner' under the guise of the Topgun licence. The site features 4 movies which are described as a 'technolpgy demo' for the new game. Some of the footage looks very nice, but I fear the arcade influence of Titus has finally taken its toll.
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 08-16-2000 08:09 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ralph:
ign.com has a preview of the next Digital Integration game. Details can be found at http://ps2.ign.com/previews/15007.html. It appears that serious sims have finally died at DI as the next game looks like 'Afterburner' under the guise of the Topgun licence. The site features 4 movies which are described as a 'technolpgy demo' for the new game. Some of the footage looks very nice, but I fear the arcade influence of Titus has finally taken its toll.

The link you have gave has expired I have searched the site and came up with this;
Rather than provide a link (It will change no doubt) it's cut and paste.
Top Gun for Titus

Titus grabs the movie license for a series of games starting next year.

January 6, 1999

Time to kick up that Kenny Loggins music, we're heading to Miramar: Titus has just announced that it has acquired the Top Gun license from Viacom, and will produce games based on the license late next year.
Titus' rights kick in on January 1st, 2000, and the company plans on having its first Top Gun-licensed game ready to go by Fall of 2000. What the game will be, other than a flight combat simulation, the company would not comment.

Well, we've got a whole year and a half to go before then, so start popping the popcorn.

Yes it looks like Titus have joined the PS2/DC brigade after the bottom fell out there world with the collapse of the "Dynamic add-on" for DISH.........But that said more and more publishers/developers are going over to the consoles!! Rage(DID ex-employes)Typhoon PC/PS2, Peter Molyneux(Bullfrog)Black & White PS2/XBox/PC, Hasbro/Microprose have LEFT the fsim genre and will be doing more games for consoles after B-17 2........Yep it's no longer an exclusive piece of hardware the PC(more a pain in the butt(and serios loss) to companies as "we" nit pick our way thru fsims "I'm not buying that it's crap! So Mr.Publisher says "It's cheaper to drop fsims and develope for consoles"....which of course it is! The hardware doesn't change,no patches are needed.....it's pretty obvious why the genre is in decline! I sure know what format i would be working on with such a bunch of fussy know-it-alls as we are

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second greatest thing known to man!
The first is landing!!"

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Vector
Member # 463

posted 08-16-2000 03:01 PM     Profile for Vector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep, everone badmouthed poor Superhornet, so they have said to hell with us all. It probably would have been a great sim with the dynamic campaigns. Oh well. Their biggest mistake was competing with Jane's F/A-18, made by a company which completely dumped support of the game anyways. We probably should have invested in DI to ensure the future of our hobby. Funny how things work out.

------------------
-\/ector, Flight Sim Sympathizer
LGB Bombing Strategy

Posts: 903 | From: Comox, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Raptor
Member # 1428

posted 08-16-2000 04:17 PM     Profile for Raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vector:
Yep, everone badmouthed poor Superhornet, so they have said to hell with us all. It probably would have been a great sim with the dynamic campaigns. Oh well. Their biggest mistake was competing with Jane's F/A-18, made by a company which completely dumped support of the game anyways. We probably should have invested in DI to ensure the future of our hobby. Funny how things work out.

Ditto

Posts: 162 | From: San Francisco, CA USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 08-17-2000 06:48 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vector:

Yes DISH ran on the PC like a.........well aHornet!
Jane's ran like an A-10 with one engine and two thirds of a wing missing
Yep it's all down to gameplay ie EAW ran on pretty crap low-end machines. The result everyone's happy!!

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second greatest thing known to man!
The first is landing!!"

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
BoneDome
Member # 190

posted 08-17-2000 04:17 PM     Profile for BoneDome   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just can't understand why DI tried to get on the F-18 bandwagon. Being a British company, you would have thought that they would have produced an updated Tornado sim, or even a hardcore Typhoon sim (well, as hardcore as possible, given that so much info is still classified). Perhaps if they had stuck to their traditional specialty, they would still be here today, doing what they used to do best.

Oh well. I wonder what Dave Marshall is working on these days.

Buggy Loop
Member # 3136

posted 08-17-2000 06:22 PM     Profile for Buggy Loop     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
British should make a car sim and you play Mr.Bean trying to drive around london with all sort of funny stuffs happening..

Btw guys (back on topic) you will ALWAYS see arcade sims when a new console is coming, its like that, business. When they satisfied their action hungry wanna kill the entire world with 1 missile type of guy then they will start working on hardcore sims again (i hope)

[This message has been edited by Buggy Loop (edited 08-17-2000).]

Posts: 249 | From: Quebec | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gavin Bennett
Member # 2001

posted 08-18-2000 07:18 PM     Profile for Gavin Bennett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually;
I know that DI had created a new graphics engine, while working on DISH. I would lay odds on DI using their new engine with the Top Gun series, and when its suitably mature, then work on Tornado (which has not been cancelled, as far as anyone knows... just put on the backburner).

It makes sense. Arcadey F-14 game, on carrier, on sea, with arcadey F/A-18s flying around... only they all look great. So when Tornado comes to be made... well there's the F-14, the F-18 and the MiGs right there...

hmm?

Gavin

Posts: 172 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
BoneDome
Member # 190

posted 08-19-2000 03:46 AM     Profile for BoneDome   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gavin,

I hope you're right. But I seem to remember someone saying that most of the "good" people actually left the company. I think the driving force behind DIs most sucessful sims was David Marshall, and as far as I know, he left the company a while ago. If that information is correct, I really hope David starts up another sim development team.
I guess we'll have to wait and see.

BoneDome

LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 08-19-2000 10:59 AM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One thing I've been asking myself repeatedly during the last year is:
"Has 'Tornado II' ever been officially announced?
The only things I know of are some vague comments here at CSim.
That's why I've been asking Mr Helmer for access to the old news updates (from winter 98/99).

The rest is what I've heard. Most importantly, one comment from Anthony Redfern, the project manager (didn't he leave recently?) at DI.

------------------
Lead-Head's Simulation Site:
http://fly.to/lead-head

Posts: 775 | From: PiteŚ, Norrbotten, Sweden. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ralph
Member # 5510

posted 08-20-2000 03:03 AM     Profile for Ralph   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Even if Tornado II is released, will it be anything more than a once great name? The original was so long ago now that I doubt any of the team are still at DI. Both MDs have certainly gone - I've read it in the trade press. That would leave an entirely new team trying to emulate a great product. The odds of that happening seem quite slim.

With regard to the project manager at DI, if he has left, that's surely got to be a good thing. I remember the speculation when he arrived - this great man from a military flight sim background. Sure - sounds good, but since then what have we seen? The one sim that's been released was 2 years late and no better than many other products out there. And the mission pack or the Gold edition?? Your guess is as good as mine!

LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 08-20-2000 04:52 AM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Out of the four "core" people who did Tornado, one is still at DI.
Posts: 775 | From: PiteŚ, Norrbotten, Sweden. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wulfrick
Member # 4764

posted 08-20-2000 01:38 PM     Profile for Wulfrick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

That Mr. Bean picture had me laughing for literally 15 minutes straight!!! HAH HA HAAAA!!!!

That would be on eawsomely fun game to play- drive Mr. Bean's Mini Cooper round London & help cause traffic havoc for days to come.... Brilliant!!!

Cheers, Wulf.

------------------
Make sure the enemy is willing to die for his country. Then you both have the same aim in mind!

Posts: 399 | From: York, England | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.