my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » I could use some help...

Author Topic: I could use some help...
F-16Man
unregistered

posted 08-08-2000 02:31 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello to all. Lately I have found the want to fly a Flanker, so I am thinking of getting Flanker 2.0. Now, if I get it, this will be my first "hardcore" sim. I have experience in IAF and USAF. Am I ready?

Next, My system specs are:
eMachines 433
ATI "All in Wonder" 128 Video card
32 Megs of RAM, upped to 64
40X CD Rom
And, a 4.3 Gig HD, even though most of it's used up, I'm hoping to get some extra space this weekend.

Thanks,
F-16Man

IP: Logged
Pak here!
unregistered

posted 08-08-2000 03:11 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Go to pricewatch.com and get a Geforce MX, and buy a 10.2GB Seagate Barracuda ATA-II hard drive.
dali
Member # 1666

posted 08-08-2000 03:18 PM     Profile for dali   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
upgrade to 128MB RAM as well...

welcome aboard man

Dali

Posts: 265 | From: Ljubljana, Slovenia | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 08-08-2000 03:48 PM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As regards, your first question.

Yes, you're ready.
Don't be put off by the term 'hardcore'. Hardcore is what you want to make it - it's just a word. Try F2 and marvel at the beauty of it - it's so different. It's easy to fly but the combat is so much harder. And with every sim you have to start with no knowledge and build on it.

A guns kill is harder in F2 than any other sim I have but each time you play F2 you get better.

Best of luck.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Posts: 613 | From: Windsor, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
F-16Man
unregistered

posted 08-08-2000 04:14 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1st of all,
Thanks to everyone for their quick responses. Now, I want to know what kind of performance I'll get from Flanker 2.0 on my rig, without spending excess cash, I mean, I'll get an extra 15-20 Gigs of HD space, but I'm not planning on spending cash on a new video card, or extra RAM. Worst case scenario, I can get Flanker 1.5, but how will the sim work with my current computer specs?

Thanks,
F-16Man

daveb
Member # 173

posted 08-08-2000 04:36 PM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Might stutter a bit on memory.
If you can upgrade memory do so as it will help performance.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

F-16Man
unregistered

posted 08-08-2000 04:51 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DaveB,

What will my FPS be? Also, if I change the graphics settings (low, med, high, etc.) will this make a noticable difference? Finally, when you say "stutter", do you mean that it will become choppy?

Thanks,
F-16Man

P.S.- Is my video card suitable for the sim? It's a 32MB.

Pak here!
unregistered

posted 08-08-2000 06:41 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Try out the demo at www.flanker2.com
F-16Man
unregistered

posted 08-08-2000 07:14 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BTW,

How is Flanker 1.5? Since I'm worried about my system and all, would 1.5 be a better buy, or is it not worth the 10 bucks?

Thanks,
F-16Man

Ozias
Member # 4579

posted 08-08-2000 08:13 PM     Profile for Ozias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Flanker 1.5 should run wonderfully on your setup, but you should be reminded that 1.5 only uses gouraud shaded polygons for the graphics, there is no texture mapping at all. The graphics engine in Flanker 1.5 is software only, doesn't even use DirectDraw if I remember correctly.

There are people that actually prefer 1.5 to 2, they feel that the AI flight models and missile behaviour are more realistic in 1.5.

there are a few add-ons for 1.5 that improve it slightly:

tehre are at least two different scripted campaign shells for Flanker 1.5, there are some patches that allow you to fly the MiG-29 and Su-25, there is a payload editor that allows you to create your own payloads for missions, as opposed yo using the defaults.

[This message has been edited by Ozias (edited 08-08-2000).]

Posts: 334 | From: London,UK | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lucky_1
Member # 352

posted 08-08-2000 08:15 PM     Profile for Lucky_1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DaveB,

Are the gun kills in F2 harder than the Mig Alley? I have not seen a sim yet that has as good AI dogfighters as the ones in MA. Especially when they are set on Hero, those Migs are tough.

------------------
"Do not needlessly endanger your lives, until I give you the signal." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Posts: 635 | From: Knoxville, TN. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
F-16Man
unregistered

posted 08-09-2000 06:13 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So,

Given my system and my experience, I have three final questions:

1) Should I get Flanker 2.0 or 1.5?

2) Approximately how will Flanker 2.0 run on my system? Can this detract from it's overall experience?

3) Will I find either of the sims too hard, since I am only familiar with IAF & USAF?

Thanks,
F-16Man

daveb
Member # 173

posted 08-09-2000 09:13 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
F16Man,

When I say stutter what you get is a slight pause.
Now this may be caused by anomalies in graphics drivers but with more memory the chances are that bit will be less pronounced.

It's often hard to be 100% specific about a sim but in my experience, Falcon 4, F2 and Janes F18 do like extra ram. From your spec I'd upgrade your memory to 128 as it's the most cost effective upgrade you can make and you should see the benefits with your existing Windows applications particularly if they are graphics intensive.

Flanker 1.5 is good but the graphics IMHO are just not up to what you are used to.
If the graphics are not good enough it's less of an incentive to play the sim IMHO.

F2 is graphically beautiful but minor issues such as landing ( ) are a little too easy although AFAIK that will change in future patches.

F1.5 or F2? Get F2 - if there was 1 fault with F1.5 it was the graphics.

Will 64Mb detract from the sim? I think so.
Is it too hard? With the mission editor you can make it as hard as you like although you may find standard missions quite challenging.

Lucky_1

In MA, it's real, real fun getting into a guns fight with a Mig but the difference with F2 is that it you can hardly see the bloody opponent and it matters little what difficulty level you have. With MA, you can afford to make mistakes (well, not too many ) and you can recover because the AI is not quite as deadly. In F2, factors such as corner speed are absolutely vital. In F2 the addage Lose Sight, Lose Fight are spot on.

Just a couple of days ago, a chap on the F2 forum was saying that by using F2 you can become a better pilot thru' F2 and I agree with him. That said, I haven't tried hero level so I may be doing MA an injustice there.

F16Man, (Mig Alley is also a worthy contender
to consider as well as F2).

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

F-16Man
unregistered

posted 08-09-2000 09:36 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DaveB,

What will extra HD space do?

Also, what is the average price for another 64 MB's of RAM?

How much space does F2 take up?

Finally, would F4 be a better buy, considering my hardware and experince, or is the whole patching thing too big?

Thanks,
F-16Man

ice705
Member # 4800

posted 08-09-2000 04:31 PM     Profile for ice705   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
F-16Man get the memory 64megs is peanuts in cost for the performance improvement.100.00 to150.00 dollars. get a big hard drive they are cheap these days.150.00 2o gig they are out there.get a fast cdrom also cheap.3d graphics card you need if you dont have one at least 16 megs .better to be overpowered than wish you had .Don't nitpick about it .
doit. It's a whole new world when every thing you load on your machine works and works good to excellent.Get Flanker 2.0 and fly the hstile skies.I'm using p2 400 128 megs ram 4x dvd rom voodoo 3 3000 now ,and I still want more power.upgrade you'll like it.

Posts: 131 | From: waltham,ma usa | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.