my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Do you need a 3-D graphic accelerator compatible with Direct3D for F/A-18??

Author Topic: Do you need a 3-D graphic accelerator compatible with Direct3D for F/A-18??
scotthew21
Member # 5988

posted 08-07-2000 11:00 PM     Profile for scotthew21   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was thinking about getting F/A-18 super hornet, and i saw the requirments and it said i need a "3-D graphic accelerator compatible with Direct3D card" do i really need this???
Posts: 93 | From: syracuse, NY | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erich Schneider
Member # 1046

posted 08-07-2000 11:04 PM     Profile for Erich Schneider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes. The game has no software or Glide modes, only D3D.
Posts: 123 | From: Pasadena, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
scotthew21
Member # 5988

posted 08-07-2000 11:24 PM     Profile for scotthew21   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erich Schneider:
Yes. The game has no software or Glide modes, only D3D.
Where do I get this and how much??

ral
Member # 2748

posted 08-08-2000 08:42 AM     Profile for ral   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like F/A-18, but while checking out a video card, you might as well ask about the cost a 700 Mhz processor and some more SDRAM.
Posts: 868 | From: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
scotthew21
Member # 5988

posted 08-08-2000 09:48 AM     Profile for scotthew21   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
haha i got a 500 mhz and 64 Mb but im still concerened about the video card
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 08-08-2000 12:01 PM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get a TNT2 or V3 as they run D3D pretty well *but* i would seriously consider another 64mb because regardless of the 2 above cards you will still suffer from "jerko vision" as your HD continualy loads data with *only* 64mb........sorry

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second greatest thing known to man!
The first is landing!!"

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
scotthew21
Member # 5988

posted 08-09-2000 12:13 PM     Profile for scotthew21   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok... if i dont use a accleration card will the game be a waste of mony or will it be ok w/ out it??? oh ya "tracer", do this cards have web sites so i could check them out..thanks
Thank you for replies!!!!

[This message has been edited by scotthew21 (edited 08-09-2000).]

Tracer
Member # 259

posted 08-09-2000 02:31 PM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here is the Voodoo site(V3) http://www.3dfx.com/ http://www.shop3dfx.com/

And the TNT2 site http://www.americas.creative.com/graphics/tnt2/

As for playing any game in Software mode.........forget it The demands on the CPU are enormous! More to the point there are a lot of games now, which will not run without a 3D Card of some sort.

Besides a dedicated 3D card does both your 2D and 3D-you only need one card.(and are relatively inexpensive but are equal to a cpu upgrade in performance terms compaired to software mode)

Hope this helps

Tracer

------------------
The first is landing!!"

scotthew21
Member # 5988

posted 08-09-2000 07:22 PM     Profile for scotthew21   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks tracter for all the help..im thinking of getting voodoo 3 1000 because # 1 its the cheapest because im only 14 w/ a part time job and secondly it looks like a good card for the performance i need!! Thanks Again!!!!
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 08-10-2000 04:37 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pleased to have been of help

One other thing please make sure that your system supports AGP as the V3 1000 is AGP only i think?

Tracer

------------------
The first is landing!!"

[This message has been edited by Tracer (edited 08-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Tracer (edited 08-10-2000).]

scotthew21
Member # 5988

posted 08-10-2000 08:48 PM     Profile for scotthew21   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
tracter sorry to bother again but what does AGP mean?? and could out that m,y computer supports it?? My computer is a AMDK6-2 is it the card size or somthing that needs to be the same...sorry im such a idiot!!! Thanks you so much for your help!!! i really apprecate it!!!!!!!
Tracer
Member # 259

posted 08-11-2000 08:38 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotthew21:
tracter sorry to bother again but what does AGP mean?? and could out that m,y computer supports it?? My computer is a AMDK6-2 is it the card size or somthing that needs to be the same...sorry im such a idiot!!! Thanks you so much for your help!!! i really apprecate it!!!!!!!

Hey, i'm not a TRACTER!(Tracer)
AGP stands for Accelerated Graphics Port
The good thing about AGP over PCI is that it can be 2x-4x as fast as a PCI card
AND you can only fit an AGP card IF you have an AGP slot (you can't mix them up)Whereas if you have a PCI card it will fit into ANY slot as long as it's white!
Okay time for some school lessons
Click on the link below http://www.3dfx.com/
Then click on; Products/Voodoo3/V3 1000 AGP.
When the screen loads, look to the left and you will see a small box which contains this info;
Reviews
Drivers
AGP Vs PCI
Click on AGP Vs PCI.

This should give you enough info to find out if you can fit an AGP card.....provided you first remove your PCs cover to identify the slots !
The info on the page has this to say;
"if you own a computer with an AMD K6 or Pentium II and above, you should buy a AGP version of your 3dfx card. Otherwise, make sure that you buy a 3dfx card that uses PCI. An important thing to know is that all Pentium-class computers have PCI. So when in doubt, buy PCI."
I would think that you can fit an AGP card?
The easiest way to check,is to whip the cover off! and look for these coloured slots
Black=ISA(very long slot)
White=PCI(two thirds the length of ISA)
Brown-light colour=AGP(it's the smallest slot on the board.

The pictures of the slots on the http://www.3dfx.com/ site are very good for you to compare against your machine

This should get you going

Don't knock yourself down.....we ALL have to start somewhere!

Tracer

------------------
The first is landing!!"

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.