my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Jetfighter IV : Fortress America

Author Topic: Jetfighter IV : Fortress America
De Janitor
unregistered

posted 08-04-2000 12:05 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey All!

If anyone is interested

http://www.sim-arena.com/previews/jf4/preview.html

De Janitor
Sim Arena

IP: Logged
Turbo
Member # 209

posted 08-04-2000 12:11 PM     Profile for Turbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Looks pretty lame to me, but to each his own. Looks like the other JF sims but with enhanced graphics. They're always in the San Francisco area anyway, that gets old. I'll probably end up buying it anyway, since I own almost every sim ever made, including the previous JF sims. The very first one was called F-18 Interceptor on the Amiga, that was THE best sim ever, for it's time.
tony draper
Member # 519

posted 08-04-2000 12:25 PM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Roger that Turbo, i remember the feeling of triumph first time i managed to navigate back and do my first successful carrier landing, intercepter is what turned me on to sims..tony d
ps had a great soundtrack if you had the amiga 500 k upgrade.. 500k sheesh, cost me 220 pounds

Posts: 1280 | From: england | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Turbo
Member # 209

posted 08-04-2000 04:53 PM     Profile for Turbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I had (heck, I still have it) an Amiga 1000, it originally came with a whopping 256K of memory. I expanded it to 512K which set me back a fortune back then. Interceptor had a lot of good features. Remember the freefall to the cockpit? What about the demo of maneuvers (split-s, barrel roll etc...)? If viewed from a distance, some thought it was real, especially pc owners. Did you ever play F-16 Combat pilot?
Timbo
Member # 1789

posted 08-04-2000 05:47 PM     Profile for Timbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anyone know if TalonSoft is going to make a demo for this game?

-Tim

Tim's USAF Page - Click Here to Visit!

[This message has been edited by Timbo (edited 08-04-2000).]

Posts: 709 | From: Palatine, IL, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
tony draper
Member # 519

posted 08-04-2000 06:02 PM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Turbo, yeh f16 combat pilot was about the best on the amiga, ground breaking in its day, you could load up with air to air ordinance and eventualy achive air superiority then go on and dismantle the enemy bit by bit,good gca, and great landing, first one with a good roll out rumble, shut down engines after you park in hanger, first sim to feature helicopters, no outside views though, and come to think about it first one with multi player through serial modem cable though i never got to try that, simming was a solitary passtime then
...tony d
ps, seeing the missile half a second before it came through the front of the cockpit was a bitch.

Posts: 1280 | From: england | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Victor
Member # 249

posted 08-04-2000 09:34 PM     Profile for Victor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tony draper:
Hey Turbo, yeh f16 combat pilot was about the best on the amiga, ground breaking in its day, you could load up with air to air ordinance and eventualy achive air superiority then go on and dismantle the enemy bit by bit,good gca, and great landing, first one with a good roll out rumble, shut down engines after you park in hanger, first sim to feature helicopters, no outside views though, and come to think about it first one with multi player through serial modem cable though i never got to try that, simming was a solitary passtime then
...tony d
ps, seeing the missile half a second before it came through the front of the cockpit was a bitch.

Ditto..F16-Combat Pilot was GREAT fun. Today most simmers would fault it for taking place and a small theater, not having AWACS, or air-to-air refueling; but it had a lot of nice little goodies (some which you mentioned).

Gotta try to dig up a copy to play on my Amiga emulator.

Posts: 236 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
De Janitor
unregistered

posted 08-04-2000 11:12 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Turbo :

Hell yes - I remember that! It made me want to drool and that's what started me on sims... for the Apple.

Timbo :

According to their sell-sheet, there should be an "interactive demo" (whatever that means) sometime in Sept 2000.

Yeah - it's not hardcore (nor authentic) but it can be fun if you're in the right frame of mind!

De Janitor

Turbo
Member # 209

posted 08-05-2000 07:09 AM     Profile for Turbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Tony D: I didn't mind not having external views in F-16 CP, it made sense to me anyway, not having the ability to have an out of body projection
Victor, De Janitor:
F-16CP is a classic for sure. There are only a few simmers I know that have actually played it. Too bad, they don't know what they missed. The wingmen actually did what they were told, though some got shot down. Landing was absolutely immersing, esp when your autoland was damaged. Because of F-16CP, Digital Integration was my favorite sim company. They've gone downhill since then.

Casey
Member # 873

posted 08-05-2000 09:38 AM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There is one thing I owe to the old Jetfighter series. Back in 1993, I got the guide (by Pete Bonanni, known nowadays for his Falcon 4.0 work) for Jetfighter3. At the time, all I was flying was MiG-29 and F-22 on a Sega Genesis. But the level of detail contained in that book, along with a few tries on a friend's computer with AOP, planted the seeds which got me into serious sims a few years later.

As for Jetfighter4, it sounds like a very fancy arcade shooter, with a silly movie-like plot and very little simulation going on (Remember Top Gun, on the Playstation?). That's just my impression after reading the previews.

Good hunting.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
De Janitor
unregistered

posted 08-05-2000 05:23 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Casey :

Heh. I will say this much - I did buy Top Gun for the PSX and it definately is more relaxed than JFIV.

Bob

Enraged
unregistered

posted 08-07-2000 07:18 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree in fact I BOUGHT an Amiga so I could play F18 Interceptor! One thing about their sims is that they give an excellent impression of speed, ok the rest of the sim is generally limited but I really liked skimming the landscape in JF full burn
and getting that woosh I have rarely got in other sims. I think the new one will be fun and a good quick blast em up!

Outlaw
Member # 1733

posted 08-07-2000 09:41 AM     Profile for Outlaw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, I know this is going to sound really, really lame, but I absolutely *loved* the distant sonic boom that Interceptor had. It sure was'nt realistic, but it was damn cool.

Sometimes I sure do miss my Amiga...

-Outlaw

Posts: 212 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Turbo
Member # 209

posted 08-07-2000 12:32 PM     Profile for Turbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Roger that! I've logged so many hours on Interceptor... must've been over 500... The Jetfighter series is very good for low level high speed, but after that it kinda loses it for me, I don't know exactly why.

What a pity that the Amiga almost became extinct. It's still alive in Europe, but it's dead in the States. I still have mine (1000 and a 4000) and I'm waiting for it to catch up. They're busy making G4 accelerator boards for it already. I've seen some 3D games on a PPC Amiga and it was actually too fast (had to open some extra windows in the background to slow it down).

patriotSTORM
Member # 1265

posted 08-08-2000 02:16 AM     Profile for patriotSTORM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, F/A18 Interceptor. I loved that sim..........but looking back, by god it was awfull! Slewing the nose around 360degrees with rudder? And did you know that your plane was invincible to enemy fire? But some of the missions were just soooo damn cool. What other sim has you drop a rescue device to a downed pilot? Those were the days

------------------
With a heart of furious fancies,
Whereof I am commander,
With a burning spear and a horse of air,
To the wilderness I wander
-Tom O’Bedlams Song

Posts: 404 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jeepster
Member # 5558

posted 08-08-2000 06:14 AM     Profile for Jeepster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh Christ, the Amiga.

I HATED that machine even though it was pretty much state of the art in the mid to late eighties for arcade games and graphics.

I really disliked the way Commodore engineered some of their hardware (disk drives for example) and the Workbench/Kickstart thing was a right pain in the arse!

But if you guys were really hardcore simmers back then then you probably would have had an EGA or VGA-based PC.

Sure, the sound (if that's what you could call it) was horrific, but anything from a decent 286 up could do vector graphics better than the Amiga and that's what really counted for me.

Flight sims need a machine that can crunch some serious numbers, and the Amiga, with the emphasis on shifting sprites around than anything else, had a hard time with polygons in some games to my eyes, even then.

I remember a friend of mine playing Interceptor, Falcon and an early version of Flight Simulator and him being thoroughly happy with the experience.

But I always preferred to go back to my PC and play Flight Simulator 4 and Falcon AT!

Sorry all you die hard Amiga fans but I just could never get into it.

Posts: 115 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jeepster
Member # 5558

posted 08-08-2000 06:19 AM     Profile for Jeepster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Forgot to mention the game "Flight of the Intruder" too.

That game was way ahead of it's time.

Posts: 115 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
De Janitor
unregistered

posted 08-08-2000 12:08 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My first 'sim' was called "Jet". Anyone remember it?

De Janitor

Outlaw
Member # 1733

posted 08-08-2000 12:15 PM     Profile for Outlaw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"My first 'sim' was called "Jet". Anyone remember it?"

You bet! One of SubLogic's finest.

-Outlaw

Posts: 212 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dali
Member # 1666

posted 08-08-2000 03:22 PM     Profile for dali   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
JetFighter II was good, I forgot to bring my lower jaw with me when I saw it on CGA video card

(I'm sure that some younger simmers don't recognise this typo of graphics card...hehe)

dali

Posts: 265 | From: Ljubljana, Slovenia | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Shogun
Member # 3598

posted 08-08-2000 06:18 PM     Profile for Shogun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My first flight sim was JetFighter II back in '90 running on a Wyse 286. I added a hard drive and 1mb ram in order to run it.
I liked the superspeed setting where you can fly from S.F to LA in less than 10 minutes. Anyway it got me hooked on flight sims. From then on, my PC upgrades were totally dependent on the requirements to run the newest Flight Sims. It still is. . .

-Shogun

Posts: 129 | From: Martinez,CA,USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.