my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Vigilante

Author Topic: Vigilante
tony draper
Member # 519

posted 07-24-2000 06:42 AM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
good documentry on discovery last night about the USN Vigilnte, must be the highest fastest bird the navy has ever owned, origionaly designed to deliver stratigic nuclear weapons, the air force objected to the navy having a roll in stratigic nuclear weapons delivery so it ended its life in high speed low level reconisance roll.
Had a unique method of delivering nuclear store it was hauled out of the rear by parachute.
one of the pilots claimed the open cockpit speed record when he lost his canopy at 42 k mach 1.5 i think it said the vigilante was capable of mach 2+ 70,000 ft ,must have been hell to put down on a carrier it was bigger than tomcat....tony d

Posts: 1280 | From: england | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hapy4evr
Member # 3179

posted 07-24-2000 08:07 AM     Profile for Hapy4evr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yea TonyD, and it was one of the best looking birds I've ever seen too. It was one of the first aircraft of that era to have "dual mode" re-fueling capability also (refuel from both "navy basket and from air force booms). And you're right about another thing too, I have hooked up a couple in my years in the AF and that is one big sucker

------------------
XPappyX
Buccaneers Forever

Posts: 143 | From: Buena Park, Ca. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 07-24-2000 09:23 AM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Tony,

Darn, I missed it. Could you tell me the specific show title (I'm also away from a TV guide at the moment but DSC.com doesn't show anything under A-5 or Vigilante... )

IIRC, the biggest problem the poor beastie had was actually centerred around that very nuke and the way they had to shuttle systems around it.

The pararetard system didn't work and the plethora of new-neato other goodies (HUD, LLTV, auto-TFR, just in the nose) made it a notorious deck-sitter.

According to one of my acquaintances who can't mention the name without spitting in the same breath, it also /leaked/. Like a Saudi oil well after an Iraqi frat party.

He says it's a good thing they only had like 5 in the RHA detachments or the poor wrench monkeys would have gone nuts cannibal-carting bits and pieces from one airframe to the next trying to keep them up and running.

IMO, if they'd given it a few more models to develop and ripped out the nuclear innards for just plain more /gas/ it would have been a superior A-6 equivalent (F-111 like) for taking into the 80's as a deep attack asset.

Of course I'm prejudiced, the hunchbacks aren't nearly as purdy as the original mushroom makers either...;-)

But imagine an F100 in each hole and about 30-35,000lbs of gofar onboard to speedster them with. Honest officer, I didn't know it was a 550 knot range, really?, 800 knots and off the clock? Must need a new radargun there, nudge, nudge, how 'bout a donut with sprinkles and we forget it ever happened eh... )

KP

The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 07-24-2000 09:44 AM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If it wasx discovery it could have been flight path.
Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 07-24-2000 09:45 AM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now that I think of it probably not. They only seem to do military ones still in active service.
Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
tony draper
Member # 519

posted 07-24-2000 10:30 AM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi kurt, it was one of the series called seawings, its been on quite a few times last night was the first chance i had to see it right thru,anyway being discovery you can bet it will be repeated...tony d
tony draper
Member # 519

posted 07-24-2000 11:57 AM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not sure about discoveries programing, do they show the same programs world wide at the same time?tonight aviation documentry"beyond the horizon with the red arrows"is on tonight and for the next three nights, now wether this is a three episode documentry or the same program repeated for the next three nights i dont know,
perhaps we should have a forum with times and dates of aviation programs...tony d

JimG
Member # 153

posted 07-24-2000 03:54 PM     Profile for JimG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The "Viggie" was the first jet plane with square intakes. Supposedly, the Soviets copied a lot of the Viggie's features for the MiG-25. Also, the RA-5A was used in recce missions over Vietnam.
Posts: 1012 | From: Columbia, S.C. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
tony draper
Member # 519

posted 07-24-2000 04:13 PM     Profile for tony draper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes Jimg,I believe 11 out of 18 aircraft where lost due to the navies habit of sending in a vigilante on bda mission at predictible times after a raid, charlie very quickly cottoned on to this and was always ready with loads of triple a ....tony d
ps this is what documentry said dont know how true it is

SuperGroove
Member # 771

posted 07-25-2000 12:58 AM     Profile for SuperGroove   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All you Vigilante Fans:

Slow Vigilante Site

Sorry...it's a tad slow

Paul

Posts: 800 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.