my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Vietnam

Author Topic: Vietnam
The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 07-19-2000 03:04 PM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I recently re-installed USNF 97 to play the Vietnam Campaign and I got an idea. Why don't we start a petition to get Air Warrior Vietnam back? It probably wont do much but may convince EA that not all Air Warrior fans want to only fly in WW2.

Whistler

------------------
"Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will stretch out mine hand upon the Philistines, and I will cut off the Cherethims, and destroy the remnant of the sea coast. And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall lay my vengeance upon them."
Ezekiel 25:16-17

Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Casey
Member # 873

posted 07-19-2000 10:58 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whistler:

If you're in the mood for a Vietnam-style scenerio, you should get USAF.

While not one of my favorite sims, USAF does have a Vietnam campaign with excellent, realistic jungle terrain and beautiful Vietnam-era paint and markings on F-4s and F-105s, MiG-17s, MiG-21s and more.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Storm
Member # 1480

posted 07-20-2000 05:35 AM     Profile for Storm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whistler,

Hate to burst your bubble, but petitions rarely work. Even more so when a company stands to lose money. I've signed petitions, for F4, EAW, and some others, for the release of codes, editors, and general fixing of broke items, all to see do not care what the consumer wants anymore.

Storm

Posts: 606 | From: Crestview, Florida USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 07-20-2000 01:51 PM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know they never work but it would probably do more good than bad. The only ones I signed was the janes A-10 one on Limechs and an F4 source one.

Casey,
I have USAF. I don't play it much because it takes 5 min + to load. I think it has something to do with my Abit BE6 because other people that use it have the same prob. Im getting an ASUS soon so I might give it another try.

As for the Vietnam campaign I heard you can get 10 mig kils in one mission! That is unrealistic. I am on the 14thr 15th Nam mission in USNF right now and I have about 11-13 kills which is very high for the Vietnam War. Most pilots who served in it didn't get any kills!

I was really looking forward to AW: V because it had Navy planes like the F-4B/J and the F-8. I also really wanted to have a human RIO in multiplayer. Maybe they will start working on it again after AW 4.

[This message has been edited by The Whistler (edited 07-20-2000).]

Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
JimG
Member # 153

posted 07-22-2000 06:09 AM     Profile for JimG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whistler, do you have Janes Fighters Anthology? I have a library which has a big semi-realistic Vietnam campaign in it for FA.
It has a custom made map that is much more realistic than the USNF'97 or the USAF ones (not the graphics, but the locations and distances to the respective landmarks).
There are about 20 historic missions in it with details of the flights...fly A-6, A-4, F-4B/C/D/E/J, F-105D/G, F-111A and B-52G.
Starts with the Gulf of Tonkin and ends with Linebacker II. Check out the Airwar over NVN page.
http://users.compuzone.net/jimg/flightsimpage.html

Posts: 1012 | From: Columbia, S.C. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 07-22-2000 01:28 PM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks, it sounds great. I just downloaded it.
Casey
Member # 873

posted 07-22-2000 02:25 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whistler:

Of course you're right about the kill counts but that's a common trait in many sims, wouldn't you say?

Don't get me wrong; I think USAF has other realism issues. But most sims allow us to see more action in ten missions than many pilots saw in twenty! My uncle was with an F-4 squadron in Vietnam. It was a big deal when one of his buddies (one!) shot down a (single) MiG.

I guess the software makers assume most of us would become frustrated if we spent six weeks practicing on a new sim and had only one kill.

BTW, I reinstalled Fighters Anthology last month. I agree it's still a blast, despite the outdated visuals. The radio comms are much better (sound, not choices) than those found in many newer sims and the numerous options give it a lot of replay value.

Good hunting.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 07-23-2000 12:04 AM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dusted the max number of MiG-29's you can have in instant action flying a F-105 in USAF.
Posts: 1352 | From: Prescott, AZ | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.