my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Wich to buy, Flanker2 or Jane's F/A-18

Author Topic: Wich to buy, Flanker2 or Jane's F/A-18
The Prophet
Member # 5161

posted 07-13-2000 01:44 PM     Profile for The Prophet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm lokking at getting one of these sims but not sure wich one. I want hardcore nose in to book type gameing (ala Falcon4) and best playablity on my system without the lose of quality.

I'm running on a:

K6-2 450
128MB SDRAM
72X Kenwook CD-ROM
5200 rpm (some thig like that) hard drive
Voodoo3 2000 PCI

well, send my you info, I *DO NOT* want biast opinions! I want what will be the best for my needs and curent rig.

Prophet

------------------
I am the prophet of death, I come to give you a gift

Posts: 153 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
grover
Member # 3714

posted 07-13-2000 03:16 PM     Profile for grover   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi prof.
Really depends on your preferances. I tried F2 but really didnt give it a chance, so someone else will have to tell you about that, but i do know that because you have a voodoo card it wont look very good. You will need to hunt out the artwork made for voodoo users. (someone here should be able to point you in the right direction)

As for f-18, I love it but have not really touched it lately. It really grows on you. The 3d cockpit is awesome once you get used to it. Plane graphics are outstanding and also textures, and there are some awesome free addons for it such as datajacks art manager. try and find some screenies. The ground is not like some of the other games where you can fly over cities and such so dont expect anything there. What it does really well is modeling the systems and avionics of the 18e, ACT and co-op multiplayer. really indepth, and that kind of explains the game. To get the most out of it, you really need to lean all of the functionality of the avionics suite. Otherwise you will just fly around blowing things up and eventually get bored like I did.
Other good things-
Carrier ops (including night ops and refuling)
Buddly lasing (co-op multiplayer)
F18 (yeah)
Environmental effects.

Things it doesnt do well FPS.

Really a great sim. The question is what kind of realism do you want? If you are after avionics as hard as they get. F18 is a good choice. If you like USAF then maybe neither game is for you??

hope this helps.

grover

------------------
Accidents cause people!

Posts: 218 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 07-13-2000 03:31 PM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a:
Celeron 500
Voodoo 3 3000
128mb ram
48x cd
7200 rpm hd

And I couldn't get it to run the way I wanted to (as far a fps goes) at the settings I run most sims at (1024x768, all options on or maxed). It ran fine most of the time vbut hairy spots during the war got choppy.

Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 07-13-2000 03:32 PM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Forgot to mention I was talking about F-18.
Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lud von Pipper
Member # 82

posted 07-13-2000 04:27 PM     Profile for Lud von Pipper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
JFA-18 would SURELY be a pain, for what concerns FPS, given your system specs.
F2 would not, if the issues about voodoo cards have been resolved (check on the appropriate thread for more answers).
LvP

Posts: 273 | From: Italy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wulfrick
Member # 4764

posted 07-13-2000 05:04 PM     Profile for Wulfrick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
With all due respect JFA-18 will be a meaningless slideshow on your machine. I know.... I usee to have a K6-2 500 with a TNT 2 Ultra, and the frame ra5tes were &**** poor, until I swapped to my Athlon 700. Even now the FPS in JFA-18 is merely acceptable.

Persobnally I would recommend Flaanker 2. Your FPS will still not do this simm complete justice, but if you enjoy utter and brutal realitic missiles and SAMS then this is for uyou. F2 also has by FAR the best flight modell of ANY modern simm, bar none.

If you are still unsure, check out:
www.flanker2.com

And ask the chaps in the forum. They will be happy to help with any questons you might have,.

Cheers, Wulf.;

------------------
Make sure the enemy is willing to die for his country. Then you both have the same aim in mind!

Posts: 399 | From: York, England | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
goanna
Member # 1639

posted 07-13-2000 05:28 PM     Profile for goanna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you want "nose in book" level of hardcore, then take F-18 or even Flacon4. Although F2 has a better flight model (not by that much IMO), do you think that YOU will able to spot the difference between reality and the concessions that F-18 has made for the sake of game play? I doubt it. But on the other hand F2 has a level of avionics difficulty which really belongs on a Playstation. F2, compared to F-18, is really very weak in this regard. Added to that, f2 dosen't A2A refueling (if that matters to you) an Flanker FPS are still in the low teens for me (Celeron 500, TNT2, 128 Mram). But then again, Flanker is still a simm in progress, with some newer addons due in the not too distant future, where as F-18 is finished (at least as far as Janes /EA is concerned).
Posts: 427 | From: QLD Australia | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rosco
Member # 1779

posted 07-13-2000 06:45 PM     Profile for Rosco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you had a more powerful computer I'd definately recommend F/A-18, even over the excellent Flanker 2. JF-18 has far superior systems modelling and is much more accessable despite it's greater complexity. However, your FPS count would be unacceptable or marginal at best.

Flanker has a much better flight model and is better looking graphics-wise on average unless you have a truly monsterous system. The F2 community seems particularily helpful and knowledgable.

Flanker's enemy AI and general challenge is far beyond anything you'll find in JF-18, making it very rewarding. It should run acceptably well on your system.

My recommendation would be to wait for the upcoming Flanker 2.5 unless you need something to play immediately.

------------------
"And if you don't like it, eat a gun"

Posts: 984 | From: Hazzard County | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Prophet
Member # 5161

posted 07-13-2000 10:31 PM     Profile for The Prophet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info guys. Seems that where one of these sims is low the other exceeds. I have been watching the F2 development for about a year and a half befor it came out and have really been looking at getting it. Then I got F4, wow what a sim! I can get 10-20 fps in high trafic areas if I tone down the bubble fix utility. I think going by the responce here I'll go with F2, F-18 will come later...

Thanks agian,

Prophet

------------------

Spock
unregistered

posted 07-14-2000 01:35 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You should get F-18. With F2, I can't get over the fact that the buildings just pop up out of nowhere. That's a big no no for a sim of that caliber.

BTW Prophet,
about your gift: Give and it shall be given unto you...

IP: Logged
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 07-14-2000 06:15 AM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They are both excellent sims. However as others have noted on your system you'll get better framerates (and thus better immersion) with Flanker2. The recent 3rd party graphics patch really enhances the 'look & feel.' Note that F2 does not have the pilot workload/complexity of JF/A-18 (a more 'nose in the book' sim). Also, F2 is more 'solitary' in that background/wingman comm's are almost non-existant. Get Flanker2 now and JF/A-18 when you upgrade your system.
But always fly Falcon4

Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
The Prophet
Member # 5161

posted 07-14-2000 11:23 AM     Profile for The Prophet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bill,

That's what I was thinking after reading some of the responces here.

Spock,

Death has come already, many times over. I always come back for the next frag

Prophet

------------------

daveb
Member # 173

posted 07-14-2000 01:02 PM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Prophet,
Both are fine sims. If I have to come off the fence I'd go for F2. The graphics just popping up is a real annoyance but I go for F2 simply because I think SSI as a company have a stronger commitment to their product than Janes.

Happy hunting.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Posts: 613 | From: Windsor, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ral
Member # 2748

posted 07-14-2000 05:18 PM     Profile for ral   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Prophet:

I am going to pick up JFA-18 today...buts that's because I already own a copy of F2 and F4 as well. Get F2 first. The aircombat is awesome and you will fell the difference in flight model between F2 anf F4. When I first flew F4's F-16, I felt like any other sim I tried. I had to learn how to fly F2's Su-27/33. You should get about 15-25 fps on your system depending on the situation.

By the way, did I mention its my favorite sim. Overall though it falls short of F4's standard. No dynamic campaign, poor comms...but despite all that...I think its the best one out there.

We should really get all three though. If you are looking for hardcore combat jet sims...thee really is nothing new in the horizon. I have not heard of anything set for release this year, ptobably not next also.

Posts: 868 | From: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Murphcat
Member # 1658

posted 07-17-2000 01:05 PM     Profile for Murphcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you already have F4, and you can only get one more, I'd get F2. VS JF18? hard to compare. I think both are just super! But F2 is still "alive" with Flanker 2.5 and Flanker Attack coming up soon. Also, F2 is unquestionably the best dogfight / gunzo sim, bar none. Ultimately, you're gonna get all three. These three sims are just in a class by themselves. Jf18 is a must have for the carrier ops alone. But it's a more dynamic time for F2 at the present.

------------------
Murphcat

Posts: 167 | From: Franconia NH | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ral
Member # 2748

posted 07-18-2000 09:11 AM     Profile for ral   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Murphcat:

Just got Jane's F/A-18. Your right, you gotta have all three.

Posts: 868 | From: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.