my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » spoiled by Falcon4.0 graphics

Author Topic: spoiled by Falcon4.0 graphics
ice705
Member # 4800

posted 06-04-2000 12:22 AM     Profile for ice705   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ever since I started flying Falcon it has been the benchmark to rate all sim terrain graphics.with the patches supplied by fans and the exMicroprose staff nothing has come close.The ground looks so real compared to every other flight sim so far.If Im wrong please enlighten me.All the others have that cartoony look to them.Imagine If you combined Gunship
building structures with Falcon terrain.

Posts: 131 | From: waltham,ma usa | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
'
Member # 3472

posted 06-04-2000 12:57 AM     Profile for '   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love Gunship graphics. Their, idea of graphics engine reminds me of first VW Beetle, it's very simple, unique, and it works great. I've tried the demo on my 333Mhz,64MB SDRAM,TNT1,and it was smooth as a silk.

------------------
... --- ... --- ... --- ...

Posts: 445 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sam Sonite
unregistered

posted 06-05-2000 04:00 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Like you said- nothing comes even close to F4 in that department.
I'm using the original gfx too in that area.

Now, the aircraft is a different story altogether... The falcon we fly is ok, but the rest of the aircraft sucks to be honest. Doesn't matter though, F4 is my girl.

IP: Logged
Billzilla
Member # 34

posted 06-05-2000 05:39 PM     Profile for Billzilla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's a fair bit personal preference, but I find the terrain in Flanker 2 quie a bit better than F4 in most regards.
Also, the old Longbow 2, with a small tweak was very good.
Looking forward to getting Enemy Engaged: Commanche Vs Hokum - the screen shots look *very* good!

Posts: 244 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 06-05-2000 05:43 PM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I find that the terrain in Flanker 2 is too bright and pastelly for my likeing. I prefer Falcon 4's and JF-18's (even though nobody else does) terrain over all else.
Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wulfrick
Member # 4764

posted 06-05-2000 06:09 PM     Profile for Wulfrick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From high altitude, the terrain in F4 is freat, really nice. Trouble is, it's way too flat. There ought to be a lot more elevation points used. And it's too repetitive as well.

As for Flnaker 2, well I think that it's way better in every respect except raw texture quality. Especially now that there are many excellent tecture add-ons such as winter snow and deasert sand textures. From medium and high altitude nothing beats it.

EECH is a VERY good looking game. And, it's extremely fun to play but without sacrificing realism! The terrain is nicely detailed and all objects are extremely well detailed, even foot soldiers with manpads! I've seen a soldier patrolling the perimeter of an airfield once, and he actually stopped, looked around and scratched his backside! Talk about detail!! As for Gunship, well the terrain is nice, but there is no realism whatsoever. It is a meaningless arcade game IMO. To be fair I havn't played Team Alligator, but I wou;dn't swap Comanche Hokum for anything! It even has properly dynamic campaigns!

Cheers, DF.

------------------
Make sure the enemy is willing to die for his country. Then you both have the same aim in mind!

Posts: 399 | From: York, England | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
'
Member # 3472

posted 06-06-2000 12:47 AM     Profile for '   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"As for Gunship, well the terrain is nice, but there is no realism whatsoever."
I love Gunship's terrain, and objects, and explosions, and speech(I was reading somewhere, that for the first time they actualy used TRUE Russian speech). Maybe I should get those sound files from somebody, to use in other sims.
BUT, who said I am playing it??? I am die hard "HIND" lover, for chopper sim, untill I get EECH. And HP for it.

------------------
... --- ... --- ... --- ...

Posts: 445 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.