my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » USNF 97 Question

Author Topic: USNF 97 Question
Enabled
Member # 4833

posted 05-27-2000 10:49 AM     Profile for Enabled   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, so I'm like...really new to this airplane combat thing.

I got the Jane's "Attack Pack" at a fire sale price, ok?

It says on the box for USNF 97, Pentium 90 and 16 MB Ram.

I installed the v1.4 patch that was already on the disk. That's weird, patches already on the game disk.

I have a 180 Pentium Pro with 32 MB and a 2 MB Monster 3D card.

It's like a slide show.

I turned everything down to minimum drag and it's still too slow.

I can hear someone trying to give me some verbal instructions, but the sound is like someone gargling drain cleaner and trying to talk at the same time.

I hope it wasn't important.

There's about a 3 to 4 second delay between the joystick and the plane.

I took the F-15B up once and tried to land it.

I got an email the next day saying I had crashed. I thought I was still on final.

Do I need a faster computer or am I missing something here?

Any help would be like...totally good.

[This message has been edited by Enabled (edited 05-27-2000).]

Posts: 4 | From: West Coast | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 05-27-2000 01:58 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Enabled; Are you serious??? Or just pulling our strings here. HEHE. You got a what? A P180 with 16 meg of ram??? It takes that much to run windows. If you want to play games, I'd suggest you get yourself a real computer. Like say a PIII 650 with minimum 128 megs of ram and a 32 meg video card like a TNT2 or GEForce or Voodoo 3. You can pick one up for a grand or two. Believe me, being able to play flight sims is well worth the cost. They're great. Don't waste your money on flight sims till you buy a respectable computer system. Good Luck.

------------------
The only thing FREE in this world is "LONG DISTANCE TELEPHONE CALLS" at dialpad.com HEHEHEHE

Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JayP
Member # 858

posted 05-27-2000 04:57 PM     Profile for JayP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I never had USNF 97, but I used to run Fighters Anthology, which is very similar, on a P133 with 32MB of RAM and a 2MB PCI card.

It was only just about playable. I used to get about 7 or 8 FPS on the runway and about 11-15 in the air (Reminds me a bit of F/A-18, now that I come to think about it ).

Sadly, getting a faster computer probably won't help you much when it comes to running this game. I recently reinstalled FA in order to take a screenshot (for comparison with F/A-18) and I got no more than 17 FPS from my 466 Celeron with 64MB of RAM.

The problem is that FA and USNF 97 use a DOS engine ported to Windows 95, and it just doesn't work very well. Those games desperately needed 3D acceleration to run under windows, which Jane's never provided.

Instead of a new computer, I advise you to get a new game. DiD's EF2000 or Jane's F-15 can be had for about $10 and each runs much better under windows (in part owing to 3D acceleration) than USNF 97.

The Whistler
Member # 4609

posted 05-27-2000 05:14 PM     Profile for The Whistler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
USNF 97 and FA both ran fine for me on my old P75 wit 24mb of ram (which i am being forced to use right now since my 500 is being repaired).
Posts: 1736 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada [email protected] | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lud von Pipper
Member # 82

posted 05-27-2000 06:59 PM     Profile for Lud von Pipper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FA runs smooth on my computer (c450&TNT), but should run fine on a P200 class computer.
the PPro is more on the class of the PII, so there should be something wrong with your setup, or the USNF Dos don't likes your CPU
LvP

Posts: 273 | From: Italy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wowas
unregistered

posted 05-27-2000 07:17 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you could get a better computer for $500
IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.