my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Falcon4.0

Author Topic: Falcon4.0
ice705
Member # 4800

posted 05-25-2000 04:30 AM     Profile for ice705   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone ever notice that in the opening instant action air to ground senario the vehicles are convoying across the river not the bridge.Should I bomb the river instead ?
found vehicles in the water in Flanker and Gunship also.Anyone else notice that?

Posts: 131 | From: waltham,ma usa | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 05-25-2000 05:26 AM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey ICE,

Back when I sent in like a 200 page 'please may I' suggestion form on F4, I included a request for Destructor conversions for mining not only rivers but all roads that had been prerototilled with B-52 long-line strikes.

This gives you an 'influence' on further traffic/repair actions (including pontoon and vehicle launched bridges) even when you're not around. Area Denial/Traffic Denial of just this type was in fact practiced along the HCM Trail in South East Asia and yes, it does work.

Now about tanks underwater...

Everything I've read says "Yes Dorothy, it comes with a snorkel and here's a cross to stick in it". Fording to a depth of about 1.4 meters is possible but underwater passage gets you flooded 90% of the time and ultimately takes as much prep time as just waiting on the engineers (should be in-column or on an associated road if the group commander is smart).

APC/IFV do a /little/ better with 'swim trunks' and a light-hollow aluminum body but even here there are CG and overskirt waking problems that drowned like four out of five Bradleys tested.

Nowadays you would probably dump the bridge with a JDAM or ground demo charge, send in a nightflight with mines to make the bridging effort difficult and then seed the opposite-side embankment with GATOR or WAAM type screening curtains or even leave-behind teams of Sniper and/or Mortar-ATGW special forces.

This assumes that your Sensor Fuzed Weapon and JSOW/WCMD were unable to stop the advance in-place using direct attack.

IMO, that kind of overwhelming force ratio is what you would expect from a WARPAC level opponent, not Korean; channelization effects be hanged.

Kurt Plummer

ice705
Member # 4800

posted 05-25-2000 03:57 PM     Profile for ice705   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks for the info dude .I forgot how smart the enemmy was, aka underwater bridges just belo the surface.
Posts: 131 | From: waltham,ma usa | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.