my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Anybody enter that Yahoo Careers contest yet?

Author Topic: Anybody enter that Yahoo Careers contest yet?
TroyAir
Member # 922

posted 05-24-2000 12:36 PM     Profile for TroyAir   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I did. I selected "Air Force" as my military branch. The catch (and there's always a catch) is that you have to submit a job resume to them. Hey, a chance to shadow an F-15 pilot is a heck of an incentive to submit a resume! You also have to write a brief essay explaining why you want to ride in an F-15, which is a little more difficult than it may sound. Sure, we all want to ride in the a high-performance military fighter jet, but exactly _why_ is a bit of challenge to explain.

Anyway, I suspect that their selection criteria will be based on a) age, b) education, and c) professional experience.

I guess us old guys (those over the age of 25) will just have to settle for combat sims.

[This message has been edited by TroyAir (edited 05-24-2000).]

Posts: 78 | From: Tampa, Florida, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
patriotSTORM
Member # 1265

posted 05-24-2000 11:02 PM     Profile for patriotSTORM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would have entered but "you have to be a resident of continental USA". Damn....perhaps I'll have to settle for the RNZAF open day flying an Iroquis....if they can afford the petrol, that is!
Posts: 404 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Chino
Member # 3292

posted 05-25-2000 07:31 AM     Profile for Chino   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The resume part is because it is sponsored by Yahoo Careers -- it's all about marketing, of course. You can mark your resume as "private" so it can't be viewed by anyone unless you respond to a job ad and release the resume. I'm not sure if the resume itself is part of the contest evaluation -- I think it's mainly the essay, though you have to be a Yahoo Careers "customer" to be eligible, hence the resume deal.

Perhaps I'm naive, but the way I read this is that it literally is a contest to raise interest in Yahoo Careers and in military careers -- they don't expect the winners to be eligible to become military pilots (or whatever for the other branches). The rules even include a provision that if the winner is over 60, he or she must pass a pre-flight physical. So it sounds like they expect entries from all ages, not just people who could actually enlist.

I haven't entered yet but will soon -- it's a lifelong dream of mine to fly a military jet (and a long-time dream too, since I'm 46 -- yup, there are some REAL old guys flying sims!). Otherwise I'll keep saving my pennies for AirCombat USA or a trip to Moscow to fly a MiG (they offer MiG flights for mere money -- LOTS of mere money). Of course I'll probably spend the money to finish my private pilot first (17 hours down and many more to go).

Posts: 57 | From: Westborough, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.