my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Fleet Defender Gold

Author Topic: Fleet Defender Gold
Marc
Member # 1774

posted 04-15-2000 05:28 PM     Profile for Marc   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey guys, I'm trying to install FDG on my dads pc{p75}but need to make a boot disk, how do you make a boot disk.

Thanks Marc

Posts: 80 | From: St-Julie Quebec Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
JayP
Member # 858

posted 04-15-2000 06:26 PM     Profile for JayP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can do it by using the DOS sys command. If you type:

sys a:

at the DOS command prompt it will make a bootable disk. You can get windows to make a startup disk if you want, by going to the add/remove programs item in control panel and clicking on the 'Startup Disk' tab.

The main trick, however, is configuring your autoexec.bat and config.sys files. At a minimum, you'll need the following lines in your config.sys file:

DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=EMM386.EXE

It's also a good idea to add:

DOS=HIGH,UMB

You'll need to load a DOS mouse driver in your autoexec.bat file. You'll also need to add some lines to one or both files to use your soundcard. Your mouse probably came with a disk with a DOS driver on it, and if your soundcard came with a DOS install program, that will add the necessary lines for you.

A lot of Microprose games of the era came with a program that would create a bootdisk for you. Look for a program in the game directory called 'bootdisk.exe'.

[This message has been edited by JayP (edited 04-15-2000).]

Marc
Member # 1774

posted 04-16-2000 07:16 AM     Profile for Marc   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks JayP,I will try that,hope it works
Marc

Posts: 80 | From: St-Julie Quebec Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.