my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » First combat sim to recommend..??

Author Topic: First combat sim to recommend..??
Spinoza
unregistered

posted 04-11-2000 11:26 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi all!
I'm a regular gamer and the past few weeks I've had this nagging urge to try the combat sim genre. I've been playing the Wing Commander series and X Wing for years but never ever got to try the "real life" sims.

I'm really as blind as abat as to the good sim games out there. So what would be the first ideal sim game that you can recommend? I was thinking of Jane USAF or Mig Alley. But as I said, I'm totally clueless.

Thanks!

IP: Logged
LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 04-11-2000 12:13 PM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get Falcon 4.0, download the latest patches, set everything to "realistic" but combat difficulty to "easy", read the manual seven times, go check every written piece on the subject that you can find online and then start it while preparing for a chock.

Seriously, from what I've read I think I can safely recommend Jane's IAF which is older but apparently better modeled than USAF...

I would also recommend Digital Integration's F-16 sim and both of their helicopter sims. They're old (especially the helos) but they are a good compromise between realism and easy access for the novice.
http://www.janes.ea.com http://www.digint.co.uk

------------------
Lead-Head's Simulation Site:
http://fly.to/lead-head

Posts: 775 | From: Piteć, Norrbotten, Sweden. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JayP
Member # 858

posted 04-11-2000 01:09 PM     Profile for JayP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The dogfighting in MiG Alley is second to none on the PC. In that respect it is a bit more like the space games you mention than contemporary jet sims, where most combat takes place with missiles launched several miles from their targets.

With full realism turned on in MA, however, the aircraft can be unstable and you'll spend a lot of time figuring out how to get out of spins. Fortunately, there is a simpler flight model to get you going.

The main problem with MA is that some people have had a lot of difficulty getting it to run on their machines. You may want to wait and see what the verdict is on the forthcoming patch.

[This message has been edited by JayP (edited 04-11-2000).]

Spinoza
unregistered

posted 04-11-2000 01:44 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hullo,
Thanks for the replies. From what I've read, I'm honestly scared to death by the complexities of Falcon 4.0 So it looks like I'm *gunning* for Mig Alley

One more thing, what's the best multiplayer combat sim? That's also something I want to get into. Something to tide me over till Freelancer...

Thanks for the help!

Mispunt
Member # 3500

posted 04-11-2000 01:54 PM     Profile for Mispunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you are intrested in entry level combatsims also try:
F22 TAW (not too hardcore, good sense of realism, dynamic campaigns).

Super EF2000 (older but similar, no 3d acceleration under Windows though).

Both games are from DID (rip) and are brilliant sims witch strike a really good balance between fun and realism.
They are also available as budget releases.

BTW Spinoza... you from rotterdam too?

[This message has been edited by Mispunt (edited 04-11-2000).]

Posts: 182 | From: Rotterdam, The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 04-11-2000 03:46 PM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Correction: DID is not "RIP" but rather still existing as Rage's Warrington division.

------------------

Posts: 775 | From: Piteć, Norrbotten, Sweden. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Patriot13
unregistered

posted 04-11-2000 05:12 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
** GO WITH FALCON 4 OR JANES FA-18

They are a little intimidating at first, but with a little studying and practice it gets real easy, and REAL FUN! (Very addicting I might add.)

I highly recommend a fast graphic's card (I use Voodoo3 2000) 128 Meg or more, and a good flight stick and throttle. (I have a Ch combat stick and Pro throttle that I got on ebay for $80)

The Falcon 4 message board is a great resource if you can get on. Not only does some of the info apply to other modern jet games, but it's also where you may discover potential problems or incompatibilities with your system that could save you from going out and wasting a lot of money. Check it out at http://www.delphi.com/falcon4/start/

Good Luck!

Jason
Member # 1545

posted 04-11-2000 06:48 PM     Profile for Jason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
go with Jane's F-15.....this was my first "true" sim. i had F-22 lightning 2 and that game just made my flying F-15 worse. this game is an excellent intro to hard-core sims

------------------

goanna
Member # 1639

posted 04-11-2000 08:04 PM     Profile for goanna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you have a Voodoo card, then go for GSC's Hornet Korea. This is a middle to hardcore simm with what is recognised as the best training lessons that have ever been put into a simm. The graphics are still very good, even to this day (in 3DFX mode), it plays VERY well over the internet(Kali) and is VERY smooth with a 1 to 1 modem link. It is also very smooth on **ANY** PC above a 233 MMX! The manual is very well written (some 250 odd pages)and there are **STACKS** of user addons in the way of aircraft skins and terrains (almost every F-18 sqn from around the world! Australia, US etc etc), the vast majority of which are free! The flight model is very good, if a little forgiving, but most evrything else is spot on. Hope this helps.
Posts: 427 | From: QLD Australia | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mispunt
Member # 3500

posted 04-12-2000 09:40 AM     Profile for Mispunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeadHead:
Correction: DID is not "RIP" but rather still existing as Rage's Warrington division.

Correction: DID IS rip!

Personel from DID is now working for Rage Warrington.
Some of the personel may still be working together but Rage is now in charge.....

We still have to see what Typhoon is going to be like.....(anyone remember the story with the words Hasbro and Microprose in them?). It's probably going to be a fun game, but it's simply not going to be a DID product...

Posts: 182 | From: Rotterdam, The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 04-12-2000 11:40 AM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Personel from DID is now working for Rage Warrington.
Some of the personel may still be working together but Rage is now in charge..."

Exactly, but that's fair enough to say that it's still left in some form.

As for: "It's probably going to be a fun game, but it's simply not going to be a DID product..."

The development of what now is Rage's "Typhoon" was started by DID. It should still be much of the same sim...

Anyway, there _really_ was only one DID product; EF2000...

I bet it wouldn't be such a problem beating F-22 ADV/TAW...

------------------

Mispunt
Member # 3500

posted 04-12-2000 04:27 PM     Profile for Mispunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeadHead:
"

The development of what now is Rage's "Typhoon" was started by DID. It should still be much of the same sim...

Have you read the Rage warrington interview on this site?
I can't help but thinking that they are going to tone down the realism in favour of the fun and buck$$ element...

But boy I hope I'm wrong about this....

Casey
Member # 873

posted 04-12-2000 04:51 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to agree with Jason.

Jane's F-15 was my first "hardcore" sim as well and I'll always have a certain fondness for it (guess it's like your first love). Doesn't everyone remember the first time you looked over your shoulder to see if your bombs hit the target and heard your backseater say "That sucks: we missed!"

While being very deep in its simulation of the F-15's systems, flight model and environment, it's very easy on your system (300MHz, 64 MB RAM, software mode will do nicely, with Voodoo card it will scream).

You can find F-15 for around $20 these days. Do yourself a favor and hunt for the original complete version or the "commander" version instead of the new "Classic" series; you want the big spiral-bound manual etc.

Then, if you hate it, you only spent $20 to find out. If you love it (you will), you can look forward to similar experiences with much better graphics in today's newer sims.

Good flying.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Spinoza
unregistered

posted 04-12-2000 07:07 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ola,
At the recommendations of Jason & Casey, I've started to look into the reviews & screens for F-15. I must say they all look pretty sweet. The game does sound a tad complex for me. But I'll see how well I can handle it.

I'll probably get it this weekend, and maybe Flight Unlimited III as well.

Oh, and Mispunt, no I'm not from Rotterdam, but I do have an aunt in Amsterdam...

Thanks!

Casey
Member # 873

posted 04-12-2000 07:55 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Spin:

Don't be intimidated; F-15 has an excellent "training" setup in that it allows you to select "casual" or "expert" modes when you install. If you like, you can have a button for "lock-on next air target" or make it as complicated as you like. You can use easy settings to learn the ropes, then turn up the heat as you gain more experience!

Good flying.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 04-13-2000 12:28 PM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
You can use easy settings to learn the ropes, then turn up the heat as you gain more experience!

Don't...

It has been proved several times that there is no worse way of learning a new flight-sim.

IMO it's better to grab the bull by the horns and get ready for a bloody mess for a while...

------------------

ral
Member # 2748

posted 04-13-2000 12:33 PM     Profile for ral   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Spinoza:

I have Falcon 4.0, MiG Alley, Jane's USAF and Flanker 2.0.

For a first sim Jane's USAF has the best training missions and is easy to learn...but in the long run you may regret the purchase.

MiG Alley has no real training missions, but the aircraft are simple and scalability is good. It also has 5 planes to fly and a dynamic campaign.

F4 is scalable, but is a complex sim in any event.

F2 is not suitable for gamers new to this genre.

Go for MA.

Posts: 868 | From: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Chino
Member # 3292

posted 04-13-2000 03:31 PM     Profile for Chino   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, a lot of good suggestions here. I agree that if you want to see what "realistic" is like in flight sims (vs. space sims), don't train with simplified flight models.

A lot depends on how deep you want to get into reading and learning "systems" -- I like F-15 and JF-18 a lot (F4 too, but little time in it), but then, I find it fun to read detailed manuals. F-15's flight model is a little TOO good, in some ways -- it demands a real light touch on the stick, and it's not much of a dogfighter. MiG Alley IS a good choice if you just want guns. EF2000 v.2 is good and has a lot of resources around on the web (and the best strategy guide ever, from Sim-Tech in UK, though it may not be available any more).

I'd finally second the idea of F22: Total Air War (TAW). It's an absolute blast, and has a great blend of reality and decent learning curve. Great dogfighting including ACMI (a way to record and play back your fights). I wrote up some stuff on it for MiGMan's Flight Sim Museum -- that's another place to visit for great play guides and check lists on many sims, plus tips for beginners. Check out http://www.migman.com and click "What's New." The TAW stuff I added recently has tips on landing and dogfighting, among other stuff.

(He has great play guides and check lists for Hornet Korea and F-15, among others - organized by functions, very helpful when you're new to a sim).

Good luck!

Posts: 57 | From: Westborough, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Radman
Member # 133

posted 04-15-2000 10:11 AM     Profile for Radman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Spinoza,

I have Falcon 4.0, Flanker 2.0, IAF, USAF, and Fighter's Anthology.

Falcon 4.0 = Nice graphics, Good "immersion", The worst campaign ever made, massive system hog, massive patch.

Flanker 2.0 = Better Graphics, long load times, built for a human who wants to evolve into a computer, horrible manual.

IAF = Good scalability, campaigns consist of a whopping ten missions, if you like to continually blink your eyes when you fly the shimmering terrain is for you.

USAF = Nice options, 12 meg patch, resource hog without a bleeding edge system, Best graphics yet seen, Cannon fire is wierd and practically transparent, small campaigns and clunky interface.

Fighter's Anthology = Older but not bad when the resolution is cranked up, no graphics card problems, Has just about every plane and option imaginable, Tons of missions and campaigs, even available for online attacks. I think this is a "must have" in every simmers library. $20 at Staples.

Even if you do get any of the others you should still get Fighter's Anthology.

Radman

Posts: 93 | From: Central USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JimG
Member # 153

posted 04-15-2000 10:54 AM     Profile for JimG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Spin, a few other items...what speed is your equipment? Jane F-18 will not run well on older systems.
You can try some of the older sims which are cheap...Janes FA for ~$15 or F4 for $20. Just flying the F-16 around in F4 would be worth the $$. I don't think USAF is worth the money right now...~$39.
The most important thing is to learn how to fly...you'd be surprised at the people who cannot fly a plane on a PC!

Posts: 1012 | From: Columbia, S.C. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Andy Bush
Member # 12

posted 04-15-2000 05:45 PM     Profile for Andy Bush   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Spinoza

A couple of thoughts...

Here are some qualities in an air combat sim that are important for a first time experience:

1. Fast reload times. You will make mistakes...the faster you get back into the action, the more fun you will have. Long reload times common in the newer sims tend to frustrate people.

2. Crash-proof programming. Don't pick a sim that has a history of being difficult to run. All the newer sims suffer from this to varying degrees.

3. Low CPU requirements. Results in a more fluid flight model...better frames per second.

4. Good viewing system. Pick a sim that has a good padlock, a usable player to target external view, as well as the usual snap views. Not all sims have all three.

5. Training options. Being able to slow the action down is great for initial training. Look for a sim that allows you to choose a variable playing speed. Recorder capability is also a good option to have.

6. Reliable multi-player capability. This feature allows you to get together with others to learn the ropes. Most sims have M/P, but not all function properly.

7. Strong on-line network. Look for a sim that is well established with player organizations. These people are invaluable for helping new folks.

Having said all of that, I recommend you try Janes Fighters Anthology. It's a great training sim...once you have the basics down, you should then move on to one of the other sims mentioned above.

For academic help, look to the Air Combat Corner at www.simhq.com.

Good luck.

Andy

Posts: 595 | From: St Louis, Mo | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
thommo
Member # 2839

posted 04-17-2000 06:48 AM     Profile for thommo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All,
Just to confuse Spin even more....

I currently have F4, F2, EAW and AvH/CvH installed and I must say that I would recommend EAW for you, Spin. Good dogfighting, multiple planes, scaleable FM/difficulty, massive online support, patches already on the CD (Budget line product).

It's just that I noticed you didn't actually specify a JET combat sim. The planes themselves are less command intensive (so you could probably get by with your current joystick, the latest sims really kind of steer you towards a HOTAS setup) but still require a delicate touch. Being that little bit older than F/A-18, F2 etc, the CPU requirements are probably a touch lighter. I have a PII 400 (stop sniggering at the back) and it's lovely and smooth, even at top res. You also don't mention your graphics card, but EAW handles both D3D and Glide, both fairly even handedly.

The community here at Combatsim is without doubt the best and deepest around, polite and tolerant to everyone. Support just the way you need it when starting out.

If you do want a jet sim, try one of the cheaper ones, as you might get disappointed with the lack of dogfighting involved. I'll go with LeadHead & Goanna for F-16 Fighting Falcon and Hornet:Korea respectively. Tried 'em both, enjoyed 'em both, they moved me on to the fairly Heavy Duty games I love now`.

Just an idea, mind.

------------------
Tally Ho

Thommo

Posts: 74 | From: Essex, UK | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Chino
Member # 3292

posted 04-17-2000 09:51 AM     Profile for Chino   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We certainly love to give advice! Well, I guess that's one reason these boards are here, and I've certainly benefited from others' ideas over the years.

EAW is a great sim, for all the reasons Thommo mentioned. I loved its "parent" Pacific Air War and EAW is better in every way. The only clue that Spin was looking for jets was that he posted in the "Jets" folder, but I think every flight sim fan ought to experience the joys of WW2 combat even if they prefer jets or helos.

I have to comment on Andy Bush's recommendation for Jane's Fighter Anthology (FA). I started with Falcon 3 in 1994 (late, I know) and I enjoyed it, though I was a bit overwhelmed and never really mastered many parts of F3. Then USNF came along in '95, and I really loved that sim and especially its successors, ATF and NATO Fighters. All of these and more are in FA, which I recently bought (for $12) to see if some old ATF/NATO user missions of mine would still work (they do). Playing again after a few years away, it did seem that some of the planes flew "on rails," but I found it was not easy to beat a pair of MIG-17's in a pair of no-guns F-4 Phantoms with Vietnam-era Sparrow and Sidewinder missiles. You need to understand the relative strengths and weaknesses of the planes and weapons. There's a lot to learn, and it's fun.

At the risk of sounding like MiGMan's PR department, let me again suggest his site. His training missions, advice, and checklists are especially strong for FA. Check the links starting on http://www.migman.com/ref/simhis/FA/FA.htm

Good luck!

ABH2
Member # 4182

posted 04-17-2000 06:03 PM     Profile for ABH2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Spinoza, here are my suggestions:
(In no specific order)
USAF-Great graphics, easy to learn...kinda like a flight sim primer.Variety of planes and good multiplayer(in my experience anyway)
Fighters Anthology-$15 in the bargain bins, tons of planes and several regions....not hardcore but fun if you like a lot of different planes.
Falcon4 and Mig Alley-Both have dynamic campaigns, with MA having maybe the best dogfighting around. Actually, Mig Alley is not a hard sim to get into, just guns..no missiles or the accompanying avionics.
The hotshot mode alone is worth the price, just you and your homeboys vs THEM.
Falcon4 is a bit more daunting......but if not your first sim, consider it a candidate for your future sim library of games.
EAW-Similar to Mig Alley in that its pre missile era(obviously..WW2)and a dynamic campaign. Variety of planes. Can fly USAAF, RAF or Luftwaffe.
Total Air War-Just all out fun. The f22 is a no holds barred missile platform....dynamic campaigns and should run well.
Here are the sims I would not recommend to a beginner:
Flanker2-I love russian planes, but this one is a system hog and is still in need of further patching. Not very forgiving as far as newbies go.
Janes F18-The ultimate system hog, performance can lead to bouts of depression....I am a Navy veteran who is longing for a good Hornet sim....Janes delivered except I cant deal with the low framespersecond.
Just my opinions......All have their strengths and weaknesses, but for a beginner, I would go the route of least frustration.

Posts: 21 | From: Jacksonville, Florida USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Chino
Member # 3292

posted 04-18-2000 09:12 AM     Profile for Chino   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just a follow-up to ABH2's helpful post. This is not the place to rag on USAF, but I have found it to be totally uncontrollable. There are some serious joystick control problems. I have the patch and have tried all the suggested fixes, and it either overcontrols (overshoot on rolls, bobs up and down wildly in pitch), or if I use one of the stick utilities, I can damp it so it feels like I'm flying an overweight transport.

This has not happened to everyone, but if it were my first sim, I think I would be really frustrated -- is THIS what jets are supposed to fly like? Is it me? Why can't I fly those low-level flights without crashing? I really want to play and love this sim -- it has great graphics, an OK frame rate, many interesting planes and missions. It seems like the logical successor to USNF/ATF/FA -- more detailed but still "light" (which is fine sometimes, I'm certainly no hard-core purist, sometimes I just wanna have fun).

So new sim flyers beware -- if you don't have the control problems, USAF is a great starter sim, and maybe much more. But if you DO have the control problems (and I'm not the only one who has), trying to control the planes in USAF is an exercise in frustration. I finally gave up after many hours of tweaking and trying to fly. It's a real shame too. I'm hoping for another patch that will really fix this problem.

MERACE
Member # 1595

posted 04-18-2000 10:50 AM     Profile for MERACE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am introducing my 7 year-old son to combat flight sims and need some advice. I would like to start him out on jets with all the easy settings on. I want to be able to fly with him over our home LAN (TCP/IP Protocol). Novalogic sims are out! Preferably a more recent release like USAF or maybe even "dumbed down" Jane's FA-18 or Longbow 2.

Thanks,

-MERACE

Posts: 32 | From: Troy MI USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Andy Bush
Member # 12

posted 04-18-2000 11:42 AM     Profile for Andy Bush   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MERACE

When it comes to cooperative flying with children, there is no such thing as a 'dumbed down' Janes F/A-18...the sim is just too complex.

I fly with my son...we use Fighters Anthology. Kids are not picky about graphics, and they don't know (or care) what a flight model is, but they do like a variety of aircraft to fly. FA is unbeatable when it comes to aircraft types, particularly when you use one of the many excellent add-ons available for free from FA web sites.

FA offers a 'slow motion' option that few other sims have. This half-speed feature makes it much easier to keep your child airborne and out of the dirt.

Kids don't need avionics or realism. They want lots of action, bullets and bombs, and sound. FA offers more in this regard than you will find anywhere else.

Andy

MERACE
Member # 1595

posted 04-18-2000 12:02 PM     Profile for MERACE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Andy:

Thanks for the advice.

I was thinking of FA but when I looked on the box for multiplayer it said IPX protocol and not TCP/IP(which is the protcol setup on my home LAN). Does it work with TCP/IP protocol? If not, how do I change my protocol settings to IPX?

Also, would USAF be too difficult for my son (TCP/IP is the LAN protocol on that one)?

Thanks,

-MERACE

Andy Bush
Member # 12

posted 04-18-2000 01:39 PM     Profile for Andy Bush   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MERACE

I use a serial connection when I fly with my son.

According to my manual, FA supports serial, modem, IPX/SPX, and TCP/IP connections.

I have not used the IPX feature, but the serial and TCP functions work very well.

I'm not much of a USAF player. The sim has great graphics, but not much else. Many people have had problems with their flight stick response. Other than having somewhat out-dated graphics, FA is your best bet for the kind of flying you are looking at. The sim still has a devoted following despite its age...where else can you fly everything from a blimp to an Aurora??!! It's A2G inventory selection is the most expansive of any sim...lots of bang-crashes-booms for the kiddies!

Lastly...my obvious liking for FA is strictly for its value as a learning tool...not as a serious combat simulator. As a training sim, I think it is tops, but as a realistic sim, I would not even rate it.

Good luck with your son!

Andy

[This message has been edited by Andy Bush (edited 04-18-2000).]

MERACE
Member # 1595

posted 04-18-2000 02:43 PM     Profile for MERACE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Andy:

I am stopping by my local EB and picking up FA tonight.

Hey, you may have just steered a budding future military aviator in the right direction. LOL.

Thanks much for your help!

-MERACE

Andy Bush
Member # 12

posted 04-18-2000 04:11 PM     Profile for Andy Bush   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MERACE

Sounds good to me.

For extra enjoyment, try one of the 'lib' files available from FA web sites. My favorite is Greg Pierson's 714 lib, found at exo.com/~gregoryp

Look to the left side of the page, scroll down to the bottom, click on 'download 714 lib'.

Just place the lib file in your FA directory...nothing else required. The lib file improves some of the flight models and adds a bunch of new aircraft. It's a great deal! There are other libs available that are excellent also if this one isn't what you need.

Any questions, give me a ring at [email protected]

Andy

[This message has been edited by Andy Bush (edited 04-18-2000).]

MERACE
Member # 1595

posted 04-18-2000 04:33 PM     Profile for MERACE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Andy:

Again, your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

-MERACE

JimG
Member # 153

posted 04-18-2000 05:45 PM     Profile for JimG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Merace, FA..good choice and a lot of fun.
Here is a link to my site with a Vietnam library as well another one. If you decide to use them, let me know. There will be a problem using customs libraries with FA if the core libs in FA are newer than the custom ones...as expected, the game automatically defaults to the newest libs. This if fixable.
http://users.compuzone.net/jimg/flightsimpage.html

Posts: 1012 | From: Columbia, S.C. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Spinoza2
unregistered

posted 04-19-2000 01:18 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hole Moley!
This thread is getting flooded..! I just got back from a business trip and I couldn't respond to all the replies here. Thanks so much for all the recommendations.

For the record, I did get me F-15 and Falcon 4.0 last weekend. I was lucky enough to be able to find the Falcon 4 with that thick binder manual. I'll play the two games this week and let you guys know how it turns out...

P.S.: Funny thing happened, somebody already registered the name "Spinoza", so I had to use the different spelling...Oh well..

Cherio!

Mark4875
Member # 3835

posted 04-20-2000 09:00 AM     Profile for Mark4875   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you are a simmer, you definitely need to own

(1) Falcon 4 with all the patches and fixes
(2) Janes F-18 and F-15
(3) Longbow Anthology - 3 Longbow games in 1
(4) Apache-Havoc and Comanche-Hokum
(5) Flanker 2

and (6) Planescape Torment

O.K. Torment is not a flight sim but get it anyway. That is one awesome RPG.

Posts: 47 | From: Cincinnati, OH, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Krait
unregistered

posted 04-21-2000 12:51 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi everyone, Im out of the loop I know, but I absolutly loved ATF gold a few years back.

is there anything comparable to that today, both in scope and technical details?

Also the fact that you could easily find people to play with and against without having to use a 'kali' or 'battlenet' type interface was a big plus.

Looking to getting behind the stick again and need to know whats good. Remember I thought AFTG was good so base answers on that (I kinda hate falcon 3.0 and 4)

Andy Bush
Member # 12

posted 04-21-2000 01:54 PM     Profile for Andy Bush   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Krait

Short answer...no.

Fighters Anthology was the final development of ATF. If you liked ATF, then FA is still the way to go...its graphics and flight model are no longer cutting edge, but the sim (and its many add-ons and web site organizations) offers a lot of fun and A2A/A2G mission diversity.

None of the newer sims can offer the numbers of aircraft to fly or weapons to be used as does FA. Most of them have glitches in their multiplayer operation, and they all require a pretty significant amount of CPU and video card horsepower.

In multiplayer, accurate flight models and realistic graphics come at a high price...it's pretty much up to the individual...for fun and simplicity with minimal hardware headaches, go FA. Otherwise, read the forums for specific newer sims such as F2, F4, F/A-18 and MA.

Andy

Stone
Member # 4349

posted 04-25-2000 09:25 PM     Profile for Stone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason:
go with Jane's F-15.....this was my first "true" sim. i had F-22 lightning 2 and that game just made my flying F-15 worse. this game is an excellent intro to hard-core sims

I would agree with Jason all the way on this. F-15 is a good sim (there are NO perfect sims) and with a little practice it gets all the more fun. Graphics are good, it's not a system hog, frame rates good. However, having said that I will add that if you don't have the patience to learn, stay away from the sims like Falcon 4 and F-15/F-18, etc. You take a hit in these games and you lose.

Posts: 116 | From: Cleveland, Ohio, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Heretic
Member # 722

posted 04-25-2000 10:16 PM     Profile for Heretic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Spinoza,

As i learned to fly with EF2000 V2 (modern combat aircraft), i can only recomend it, the learning curve isnŽt hard there is not switch feast, at the time i flought it with a CH flightstick pro only. Ok i only really enjoyed it when i got my pro throttle.
Althought it is notHYPER realistic (none are), ita avery good way to take the ropes, the campaign and athmosfear is a blast.
When you feel good with it, move to whatever you want youŽll probably have a little time ajustment with more complex avionics but thats ALL.
People where bitching about F4 landing beeing too hard. I never botched one with visual approach even the first and i wasnŽt remembering the whellbrake key (hotass not configured). And i learned landing IN ef 2000.
TAW as being in the same direction same company is excellent to learn too, but the campaign deceived me a lot.
And if you want to know, after flying "REAL", my space sim skill increased 20% to 30% as i learned to respect rules of engagement and adopt proper attitude in hunting ennemy...

Heretic

Posts: 546 | From: Brasil, Rio de Janeiro | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.