my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » F4 v Janes USAF Hope don't mind I ask

Author Topic: F4 v Janes USAF Hope don't mind I ask
bighead111
Member # 3318

posted 04-04-2000 08:12 AM     Profile for bighead111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey there,

I am not hardcore fly simmer. Guess too lazy to study those beauties, and I do like the eye candy thing specially in fly sims. Can some of you who own both sims or games tell which of them has the super graphics. I played USAF with 1600x1200, I haven't got F4, but would like to get one. Dose F4 go 1600x1200 res?? If not, doesn't matter, but graphics quailty is better than USAF??

Posts: 299 | From: london | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cobthaich
Member # 4030

posted 04-05-2000 02:15 PM     Profile for Cobthaich   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you have the rig to handle F4 than it is better graphics and a much better sim altogether, but very realistic harder to get into than USAF
Lud von Pipper
Member # 82

posted 04-05-2000 05:33 PM     Profile for Lud von Pipper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You'll never seen planes doing crazy, impossible manouvers in F4 like it happens in USAF (I hate to see enemy planes, low and devoid of energy, point their noses to the sky and roket up like a Saturn V ): the FM is quite correct, athough the dastardly Mig 19 may be a bit uprated...

...And I'd give a look at F15 too: I had always liked it's graphic (my opinion).

Posts: 273 | From: Italy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 04-05-2000 09:48 PM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hhmm.. if u aren't a hardcore n don't like manuals, then F4 isn't for u cos its deep! (thick manual, steep learning curve). but its one of the most highly regarded sims.

i disagree that F4 graphics is better. i think USAF has one of the best graphics compared to any sim out there. look at the screenshots and judge for yourself.

USAF is a light survey sim like IAF and is easy to learn and pick up. the big gripe is the unrealistic FM. but USAF is fun and has one of the best cinematic playbacks i have seen. pilot stats are also interestingly presented.

cheers

Snail
Member # 3654

posted 04-06-2000 12:05 AM     Profile for Snail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree, F4 is only fun if you are willing to spend many hours reading your manual and looking at your screen in 'freeze' mode (pause with cockpit mechanics working). Set aside that USAF is unrealistic here and there, it's more fun and has great looks. I only stumble across one failure: I can't get the sidewinders locked. Radar on, radar off, nearby, far away, behind enemy or hth, version 1.00 or 1.02, it makes no difference: this missile always flies straigt forward. Am I doing anything wrong?

Tia

Posts: 57 | From: Nunspeet, Nederland | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Fins
Member # 1331

posted 04-06-2000 02:08 AM     Profile for Fins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry Snail, but I've got to disagree. In the Falcon4 box, you'll find little 30 or so page booklet called something like the "Falcon 4 Cadet Guide".

It's aimed right at you Bighead111! Basically, it's the guide to playing the game with the realism options turned down and and with the entire thing "reduced " from a hardcore sim to a shooting game.

Don't be worried about the depth of the sim, since all the avionics and other complex elements of the sim have their realism and complexity controlled via options in the sim's Setup section. And the beauty of a game like F4 is that you can always add more depth at a later date if you feel like it.

At the price that F4 is now, you'd be nuts not to buy it if you are even slightly interesting in sim-type games. If you're still not sure, try to get it from somewhere that will allow you to return the game for a refund (ie. Electronics Boutique).

Fins.

Posts: 22 | From: Hastings, East Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
bighead111
Member # 3318

posted 04-06-2000 05:15 AM     Profile for bighead111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks guys! You are very helpful. I am giong to get F4 and join the league! See you guys in the sky!
Posts: 299 | From: london | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ral
Member # 2748

posted 04-06-2000 11:54 AM     Profile for ral   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good choice bighead111!!!...I only recently got a copy myself...and it will take time to learn...but somehow I think your going to like the challenge... There are 31 training missions in F4 which are really helpful (though sadly not narrated).

Posts: 868 | From: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Vapor_131st
Member # 2184

posted 04-08-2000 06:25 PM     Profile for Vapor_131st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bighead111- Before you Run F4 get the 1.08 patch first, it gets rid of a lot of F4s crash problems and makes multiplayer more easier and fun (and stops assorted crashes in multiplayer). I must admit that the multiplayer puts a whole new spin on the game and makes it a hell of a lot more fun (expecially when using Battle Field Commander....talk about realism)

VNFA_Hotshot
unregistered

posted 04-10-2000 09:08 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BIGHEAD111 ALSO go to IBeta.com and get the 1.08i2 patch for muliplayer fixes and the realism patch.... there is also a bubble patch to reduce the hit bubble of the aircraft to a smaller size(I.E. the size of the plane instead of approx double) This makes this Simulation even tougher but ther reawards are a tremendous increase in your Skills and a closer experience to the "Real" thing...
IP: Logged
Patriot13
unregistered

posted 04-11-2000 05:40 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If your more interested in a stable multi-player game, I would suggest Jane’s FA-18. The Graphics are really cool (especially the weather & dynamic lighting) the avionics are even more intense than Falcon, and multi-player is more stable.

If you do get Falcon 4.0, make sure you keep up to date on which patches people are using. In fact you should probably join a Squadron. That way everyone you play with can agree on which patches to use.

I Hope I didn't confuse you more.

Good luck!

IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.