my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » DI's Tornado

Author Topic: DI's Tornado
Obi Offiah
Member # 8

posted 03-31-2000 06:44 PM     Profile for Obi Offiah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anyone know where I can purchase a copy of Tornado in the UK, I already have the Amiga version and would like to try the PC version.

Thanks
Obi Offiah

Posts: 149 | From: London | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
'
Member # 3472

posted 03-31-2000 07:31 PM     Profile for '   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think, that you can purchase it, for a long time. But you can take it from
http://underdogs.gamingdepot.com/
One more thing. Use Internet Exploder. In my case Netscape could't DL.

------------------
... --- ... --- ... --- ...

Posts: 445 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ozias
unregistered

posted 04-01-2000 07:17 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You might be able to find it in the cheapo CDs selection of any large Virgin Megastore, HMV or PC World. It was re-released at the £4.99 level with the Origianl game and the Desert Storm add-on on one CD, but without any of the documentation from the origianl tornado release, so no whopping great manaul and no campaign maps, just an acrobat online manual on the CD.

You will also have to play around in DOS to get it working, Tornado needs lots of conventional memory (640K) to run. I think there is a Config.sys/Autoexec.bat setup for Tornado somewhere on the WWW, but I don't have the address, it might be on the Digital Integration website
http://www.digitalintegration.co.uk

IP: Logged
Obi Offiah
Member # 8

posted 04-01-2000 11:25 AM     Profile for Obi Offiah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
':
Thanks for that great link. They have also got DI's Combat Pilot, I used to play that sim so much until my amiga broke, I could never manage to score an aerial gun kill on an enemy figther however, no matter how close I got?.

Ozias:
I did see this CD a while back, I should have taken the oppotunity to purchase it then, never mind. The manual is no problem however, because I still have the manual for my Amiga version. The differences between the two versions of the sim were discribed in a technical supplements booklet, but the manuals I believe are identical. BTW I still think the the Tornado manual is on of the best, it is extremely detailed.

Thanks guys
Obi Offiah

Snail
Member # 3654

posted 04-01-2000 03:29 PM     Profile for Snail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To '

Please don't use internet exploder. Millions of people would regret it

Posts: 57 | From: Nunspeet, Nederland | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
'
Member # 3472

posted 04-01-2000 05:41 PM     Profile for '   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

------------------

Zed
Member # 64

posted 04-02-2000 05:32 AM     Profile for Zed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...and you say i get everywhere...

Z

[This message has been edited by Zed (edited 04-02-2000).]

Posts: 866 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
'
Member # 3472

posted 04-02-2000 02:31 PM     Profile for '   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You hurting me.

------------------

Zed
Member # 64

posted 04-02-2000 04:01 PM     Profile for Zed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, i'll let go of your leg now!

Z

Posts: 866 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 04-03-2000 03:59 PM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Obi:
Just in case you get problems with running Tornado in DOS mode, I have an article on the subject at my site.
Check for it udner "articles" (duh!).

If it doesn't help I suggest you go screaming for Eric Joiner. He should be able to help you...

------------------
Lead-Head's Simulation Site:
http://fly.to/lead-head

Posts: 775 | From: PiteŚ, Norrbotten, Sweden. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Obi Offiah
Member # 8

posted 04-03-2000 05:08 PM     Profile for Obi Offiah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Lead-Head:

A couple of days prior to me downloading Tornado, I ran a search which took me to that article on your site. Unfortunately because I did'nt have Tornado then, I did'nt save the location. I've spent the last few days searching in vain for this info. I even whet back to your site, but because I had already clicked on the article link previously it had turn dark and I did'nt notice it this time round. Anyway thanks for your help.

Obi Offiah

bighead111
Member # 3318

posted 04-04-2000 07:56 AM     Profile for bighead111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wonder why there hasn't been Tornado2 sim developed. It can be alot of fun since this plane has a ability to take off and land vertically.
Posts: 299 | From: london | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ice
Member # 3231

posted 04-04-2000 09:51 AM     Profile for Ice   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"this plane has a ability to take off and land vertically."

No it doesn't! That's a Harrier!

Posts: 106 | From: LA, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
bighead111
Member # 3318

posted 04-04-2000 10:12 AM     Profile for bighead111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Sorry of course is Harrier

Confused...

Tornado is short distance take off, but not vertically?

Is there any sim developing for Harrier??

Posts: 299 | From: london | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mispunt
Member # 3500

posted 04-04-2000 12:23 PM     Profile for Mispunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nope, Tornado is not short distance take off either.
It's actually a rather heavy attack aircraft or long distance interceptor. It's also one of the fastest aircraft at low altitudes. An exelent combination which demands a new makeover...

cheers

[This message has been edited by Mispunt (edited 04-04-2000).]

Posts: 182 | From: Rotterdam, The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ozias
unregistered

posted 04-04-2000 05:48 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Tornado is in the same vein as the F-111 and the Su-24 Fencer, high speed, low level, long range attack.

The RAF uses part of wales as a low level training range for the Tornado, much to the upset of one farmer who painted 'Pi** off Biggles' on the roof of his barn. The only problem is, now all the pilots fly over the barn to get a look.

xj_mike
Member # 3191

posted 04-04-2000 06:15 PM     Profile for xj_mike   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The most tornado's flew high altitude missions during the gulf, only after they found out that they kept losing them to AAA and SAM's.. Shame they didn't deploy the Welsh valleys to Iraq too... maybe their tactics would have held.
Posts: 239 | From: Lunar surface | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
beno
unregistered

posted 04-06-2000 05:27 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the tonkas flew low level missions untill
the threat of aa engagements and high level
sams were counter'd.The welsh valleys weren't deployed as thier ability to play rugby was the same as the republican guards
ability to play the bag pipes....i.e. non'
although scotland , if deployed would have played a blinder....

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.