my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » DID's TYphoon info

Author Topic: DID's TYphoon info
Victor
Member # 249

posted 03-25-2000 10:28 PM     Profile for Victor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Since there's been some talk about TAW lately..there is some very good info (and some screen shots) of DID's upcoming sim "Typhoon".

Well worth the read.

http://simcombat.com/articles/dyncamp/dynamic2.htm

Posts: 236 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
RaptorJock
Member # 3531

posted 03-25-2000 10:36 PM     Profile for RaptorJock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey, as long as it has great dogfighting, its gonna be great for me. I love the campaigns and i hope typhoon has good campaigns, but nothing beats a great dogfight!
RaptorJock
Member # 3531

posted 03-25-2000 11:08 PM     Profile for RaptorJock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey, as long as it has great dogfighting, its gonna be great for me. I love the campaigns and i hope typhoon has good campaigns, but nothing beats a great dogfight!
Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 03-26-2000 02:18 AM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...Except possibly surviving that dogfight. Nothing beats surviving.
Posts: 1352 | From: Prescott, AZ | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
RaptorJock
Member # 3531

posted 03-26-2000 08:57 AM     Profile for RaptorJock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Definately Major.. Surviving those things get tricky esp. in "hard" I wonder how the typhoon will compete against an F-22 or an EF-2000. Its a tough battle ahead... but its gonna be fun! later
Cookie
Member # 836

posted 03-26-2000 12:53 PM     Profile for Cookie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ummmm... the Typhoon is the EF2000
Posts: 685 | From: Dortmund, Germany | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bowrock
Member # 3667

posted 03-27-2000 12:30 PM     Profile for Bowrock     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ja, ja, die Yankees!
Posts: 20 | From: Germany | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zed
Member # 64

posted 03-27-2000 01:03 PM     Profile for Zed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey guys i hope you were not too upset about us calling it Typhoon...i told them not to, but they didn't listen...

Z

[This message has been edited by Zed (edited 03-27-2000).]

Posts: 866 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Crashman
Member # 827

posted 03-27-2000 01:21 PM     Profile for Crashman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think EF2000 sounds better than TYPHOON.

Crashman

Posts: 62 | From: 99762 Niedersachswerfen, Germany/Deutschland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Victor
Member # 249

posted 03-28-2000 12:39 AM     Profile for Victor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crashman:
I think EF2000 sounds better than TYPHOON.

Crashman

Ugh!!! How can you that? EuroFighter 2000 sounds like some cheezy cleaning product from Europe (or so they will claim). The kind that might see on some late night infomercial with some hyper guy in a British accent (no offense intended towards the Britsh..that just the crap we get here in the states. )

"...Eurofighter 2000..fights grease like magic!!!"

"..and if you order in the next 15 minutes, we'll send you not one but TWO bottles of Eurofighter 2000 for just $19.95

Posts: 236 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Zed
Member # 64

posted 03-28-2000 03:52 AM     Profile for Zed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL!! nice one...but now i'm going to have to think up somthing about the British comment!

Peronally i think EF2000 sounded good (as long as you don't say Eurofighter...names not as good as numbers...take the CBR-1100XX!)

Z

Posts: 866 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
RaptorJock
Member # 3531

posted 03-28-2000 05:38 PM     Profile for RaptorJock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Please excuse my mistake i got that name confused with tornado, which is is an older plane.. does anyone know if the typhoon will really be more manuverable than the 22 or did DID just make it that way?
Snail
Member # 3654

posted 03-30-2000 02:19 PM     Profile for Snail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If the Typhoon really is more agile than the F22, some yankee pilots will eat their helmets. I guess that it's a British manner of showing off, or a developement thing (F22 more real modelled than the ef2000). And the name typhoon? What is wrong with Spitfire Mk 43?
Posts: 57 | From: Nunspeet, Nederland | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lud von Pipper
Member # 82

posted 03-30-2000 05:24 PM     Profile for Lud von Pipper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor:

Ugh!!! How can you that? EuroFighter 2000 sounds like some cheezy cleaning product from Europe (or so they will claim). The kind that might see on some late night infomercial with some hyper guy in a British accent (no offense intended towards the Britsh..that just the crap we get here in the states. )

"...Eurofighter 2000..fights grease like magic!!!"

"..and if you order in the next 15 minutes, we'll send you not one but TWO bottles of Eurofighter 2000 for just $19.95

He,He, don't mind the offence, we got exactly the same kind of show here in Europe, only, reversed...

Posts: 273 | From: Italy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
RaptorJock
Member # 3531

posted 03-30-2000 07:29 PM     Profile for RaptorJock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do you know if the EF-2000 has thrust vectoring? Theres a big player in manuverability. The F-22 has quite a large wing area, so im doubting the performance im getting here ;^)
Erich Schneider
Member # 1046

posted 03-31-2000 12:00 AM     Profile for Erich Schneider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
At present the real EF2000 does not have thrust vectoring ... which is a little bit strange, because one of the players, DASA, was one of the partners in the X-31 program that did a lot of work with thrust vectoring.

My source is a friend of my father's who is one of the DASA test pilots (a Canadian ex-RCAF pilot who used to fly CF-18s). Apparently there's a lot of Europolitics going on with the project ... the different consortium members each requiring their piece of the pie. My father's friend says that the EF2000 is a great plane but that it would be truly top-notch with thrust vectoring.

Posts: 123 | From: Pasadena, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rick.50cal
Member # 172

posted 03-31-2000 01:14 AM     Profile for Rick.50cal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have heard it said that the Typhoon 2000 would lose a LOT of it's nimbleness from all the extra weight that a Tvectoring systems would add. Also, it seems only of use in very limited close knife fights where really you should extend from anyway. I have also heard that the canards and much lighter weight REALLY make this very manuverable, to the point of being better than an F-22.

The counter point to that is that neither plane has even been finalised for production, most of it's flight performance is rated secret anyways, so for us to compare is an exercise in futility.

------------------
Rick.50cal

Posts: 520 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lud von Pipper
Member # 82

posted 03-31-2000 06:57 PM     Profile for Lud von Pipper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thrust vectoring is scheduled for the stage 2 of the Typhoon developement, as well as some degree os stealthiness.
Keep in mind that TW is usefull to point you nose at the enemy faster for the kill, but this would bleed energy like hell, exactly as it happens in nowdays knife combat "Jaw rates!".
With or without TW, a cow will always be a cow.
LvP

Posts: 273 | From: Italy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.