my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » JSF's graphics engine will be used again

Author Topic: JSF's graphics engine will be used again
Johnny
Member # 3636

posted 03-14-2000 03:09 PM     Profile for Johnny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This game called "Project IGI" will be third-person shooter and it is described as a "thinker-shooter".

VonBroam
Member # 39

posted 03-14-2000 08:55 PM     Profile for VonBroam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool,

I always thought it would make a good shooter or Fantasy RPG. I used to eject just to walk around and look at the scenery and buildings and the such.

VonBroam out

Posts: 327 | From: Beaufort, South Carolina | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 03-15-2000 02:39 PM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Those screens have been available at the innerloop website for I don't know how long...

If you want to save them, go to www.innerloop.no and get the non IGN screenshots.

Man, gotta hate those sites who put their insigna on screens...

------------------
Lead-Head's Simulation Site:
http://fly.to/lead-head

Posts: 775 | From: PiteŚ, Norrbotten, Sweden. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Vector-Killer!
Member # 3751

posted 03-17-2000 04:03 PM     Profile for Vector-Killer!   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VonBroam:
Cool,

I always thought it would make a good shooter or Fantasy RPG. I used to eject just to walk around and look at the scenery and buildings and the such.

VonBroam out

You are LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No LIFE!!!!!!!
"I used to eject just to walk around and look at the scenery and buildings and the such"
what kind of lamer are you?
This game looks cool but you are not!!

VonBroam
Member # 39

posted 03-18-2000 07:34 PM     Profile for VonBroam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Oh, good someone is going to try and flame me as having no life. What's your point????
I have a Job, I have a girlfriend, I like computers, I consider it to be a very nice life thankyouverymuch!!

VonBroam out
Semper Fidelis

Posts: 327 | From: Beaufort, South Carolina | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
aerawer
unregistered

posted 03-18-2000 08:57 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That must be one of the stranger flames...
IP: Logged
maytes
Member # 2143

posted 03-18-2000 09:06 PM     Profile for maytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The JSF engine could be used from anything to offroad racing simulations to first person shooters to any type of military sim or even 3d real time strategy games.
Posts: 36 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 03-18-2000 09:59 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been saying this for a long time. The JSF engine is simply the best graphics engine for combat sims ever devised. Despite it's being 3 years old, JSF is still the best looking sim out there, and does the best job portraying the rush of speed during low-level flight. But the beauty of this engine is, it would work equally well for a tank sim, a helo sim, heck even a naval sim. JSF is the only sim I ever saw that actually implemented rolling waves in the ocean. It's also one of the few sims to implement realistic rain and snow.

There are many current sims which could have really rocked had they used the JSF engine instead of brand new ones. For example, imagine Falcon4, Flanker2, JF-18, or Apache-Havoc with JSF's engine. That would have ruled.

Posts: 1687 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 03-18-2000 10:44 PM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I always said that you could use the JSF engine for just about anything.
Posts: 1352 | From: Prescott, AZ | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Attila
Member # 853

posted 03-19-2000 09:41 AM     Profile for Attila     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi mbaxter, Major Tom, maytes and others,

As always, when the JSF terrain engine is mentioned, I can't resist joining in. It was and still is an amazing terrain engine, in that it achieves crisp detail down to the inch, in software with relatively low demands on resources (CPU and memory). The main focus of interest here: No blur as we know it from all other modern PC flight sims..

Sorry to say, I suspect you all might be wrong in thinking this engine is being reused (not that it is really necessary for these types of games). From what I can see from the screen-shots available from Innerloop, it seems like they are now using standard textured polygons like the rest of the industry. Check out their sport sim:

You might recognize the particle system, but check out the ground in the foreground. In JSF the ground was crisp even this close to the viewer.

Although the second image included by Johnny (the binocular shot) looks a bit reminiscent of JSF, if you look at the ground it looks very much like standard texturing.

Why convert to standard texturing? All accellerated hardware is based on a standard pipeline pushing textured polygons. To exploit current hardware and APIs (DirectX, OpenGL) you must conform to the technologies offered. That's my theory anyway.

That said, I would really like to see some innovation in this area. It would be nice to see hardware with terrain modelling features, not based on standard memory hungry blurred texturing, but innovative techniques like those exemplified by JSF.

In addition to crisp terrain seemingly based on some fractal algorithm, JSF had an abundance of trees, a particle system (rain and snow!), detailed objects with specular shading, and huge cities. The latter seem to be achieved by using some sort of lazy rendering where far away objects got less priority/accuracy.

Ingenious. Who cares if a building a kilometer away is rotated and positioned to the 0.00001 of an degree/meter? It would be cool to if some sort of lazy rendering and dynamic accuracy was explored further. Today it seems that most sims use a brute-force approach preparing and pushing a huge amount of polygons and textures, still not achieving crisp terrain, nor an acceptable amount of objects (you all know the infamous 'pop up' effect... :-).

These features are most interesting of course in the area of large scale terrain modelling, as needed in flight sims, and quite irrelevant to the type of games that Innerloop seems to be making these days.

PS. For those that don't know what all the fuzz regarding JSF is about, check out the screenshots in the Resurrection of a Gem? thread in the Screenshots forum. maytes also illustrates the incredible dynamic LOD (level of detail) in the engine here.

Posts: 579 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Attila
Member # 853

posted 03-19-2000 11:05 AM     Profile for Attila     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For your viewing pleasure, here's a shot from JSF, from the Kola Peninsula theatre:

Posts: 579 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
unregistered

posted 03-19-2000 02:23 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To Vector-Killer!:
You are LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No LIFE!!!!!!!
what kind of lamer are you?
This forum is cool but you are not!!

Idiot, get out of this forum!

IP: Logged
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 03-19-2000 11:30 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Atilla, beautiful shot from JSF! Makes me want to reload that baby again, if anything just to enjoy the visuals!

[This message has been edited by mbaxter (edited 03-19-2000).]

Posts: 1687 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.