my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Finally enough horce-power for flight sims?

Author Topic: Finally enough horce-power for flight sims?
Attila
Member # 853

posted 03-05-2000 03:55 PM     Profile for Attila     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AMD just put up the following news release on their site:

MEDIA ALERT: AMD ATHLON™ PROCESSOR ROCKETS TO 1GHz

PS. Sorry for the spelling-error in the title, btw. Just a bit excited I guess. I'll watch my AMD stocks closely tomorrow... :-)

[This message has been edited by Attila (edited 03-05-2000).]

Posts: 579 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tom McClean
Member # 2674

posted 03-05-2000 04:28 PM     Profile for Tom McClean   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If this info is true, I know I will be buying one. I know it will be expensive, but who cares. My Athlon 600 o/c'd to 700 is just too slow for today's standards. I really hope someone proves me wrong.

Good Hunting

Lucky_1
Member # 352

posted 03-06-2000 01:56 PM     Profile for Lucky_1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How come processors would go from 300 to 350mhz. Then 400 to 500mhz or so. Finally up to 800 or so. And then suddenly just jump to 1ghz! What happened to the mid 800's to 900's?

------------------
Two beers, or not two beers. There is no question.

Posts: 635 | From: Knoxville, TN. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Attila
Member # 853

posted 03-06-2000 04:45 PM     Profile for Attila     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lucky,

AMD wanted its place in history, and had to ensure it crossed the 1 GHz line first. As you might know Intel have had a few socalled 'paper releases' lately, despite dismal availability of their high-end processors, and is expected to release their 1 GHz Coppermine PIII this week as well, although in very limited quantities.

The encouraging thing as far as AMD is concerned is that they today released 900 MHz, 950 MHz and 1 GHz Athlon, all at the same time, and although 1 GHz processor will be allocated to Gateway and Compaq during March, 1 GHz should start to become generally available in April!

It will be a hard act to follow for Intel!

Sorry for the off-topic, hope it is of interest to someone --- at least our sims will run faster as faster chips gets cheaper and the fight to dominate in the gigahertz era continues! :-)

Posts: 579 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jason
Member # 1545

posted 03-06-2000 07:42 PM     Profile for Jason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lucky,
do you remember when 33 went to 66........that was big!!

whatever happened to the good-old days?

when i was 7

------------------

Theman
unregistered

posted 03-06-2000 08:43 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Processors did not go like that, Lucky. This is how Pentium II and III CPU's went (not Celeron's)
300, 333, 366, 400, 450, 500, 533, 550, 600, 650, 667, 700, 733, 750, and then 800. The Athlons went almost the same way going up to 850MHz. Today, the 1GHz, 950MHz, and 900MHz Athlon CPU's just started shipping

Here are some sites where you can check their reviews: www.sharkyextreme.com www.anandtech.com
and hopefully Combatsim.com will have their own review up soon .

IP: Logged
pel
unregistered

posted 03-07-2000 05:51 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For those who thinks a fast processor will run say flanker2\falcon4 smoothly think again
ive got a 1000mhz kryotech athlon,384 of ram
G400 max graphics card,and my system setup wont run a smooth frame rate,you get a smooth rate,only with a good combination of hardware,maybe a voodoo 3 might do it,but i think a future voodoo with 128ram on it would be the answere,we will see!!

IP: Logged
Dr. Claw
Member # 2576

posted 03-10-2000 07:17 PM     Profile for Dr. Claw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Games are going to run only as fast as the slowest component of your PC system. For example, your CPU might be able to handle anything the game throws at it, but if your graphics card can't keep up with the data the CPU is giving it, your frame rate is only going to be so high. Got to look at the ENTIRE system - CPU, RAM and virtual memory, graphics card, bus speed, ..., and so on, and how the game itself utilizes these resources.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.