my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Well, I was about to buy Super Hornet......

Author Topic: Well, I was about to buy Super Hornet......
The Ghost of Silverswift
Member # 50

posted 03-01-2000 12:51 PM     Profile for The Ghost of Silverswift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
.....when I remembered that I said I would'nt, remembering the fiasco of ADF/TAW. But, the graphics did look okay, so I went to their website and looked at the features, and I was'nt impressed.
I was shocked, really, that DI would even try to release a Simulation of the SH, with Jane's F-18 already on the shelves, and not even try to raise the stakes. I know about the "promised" add on dynamic campaign, but I also remember ADF/TAW. In the meantime, it's curious that they claim to be better than Jane's. 40 missions? Yippee! Bad weather and flying at night, they imply, are ground breaking. And they go on & on. The only novel feature is the animated carrier deck.
I must admit, however, that I own and play JSH, but even it is'nt very impressive. Good game, it is, but it's not great or engrossing. But does offer alot of what the DI offering is'nt at this point, and, my personal opinion is that the add-on package will never see the light of day.

But, it does look better than JSH. So, I'll pay 10 for it when it hits the bargain bin in a couple of months. Do any of you have both JF18 & SH and have a different opinion of it?

*HOTAS support (Hands On Throttle And Stick) -throw away your keyboard because you no longer need it!
(If we throw it away, how can we uninstall it)

[This message has been edited by The Ghost of Silverswift (edited 03-01-2000).]

Posts: 211 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rosco
Member # 1779

posted 03-01-2000 01:12 PM     Profile for Rosco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jane's F/A-18 is in a different leugue than the arcadelike DISH. As long as you have a sufficiently powerful computer you'll likely be happier with Janes' or any other modern jet combat sim over the weak and off-brandish DI product.

------------------
"And those that don't like it, eat a gun"

Posts: 984 | From: Hazzard County | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jackal
Member # 1202

posted 03-01-2000 02:04 PM     Profile for Jackal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fully agree with Rosco, DISH is an arcade game hidden behind a very well done 2D cockpit.
No comparison to Janes F/A 18.
Just wondering what Superhornet has to do with ADF/TAW, the latter comes from a different company. DID (=Digital Image Design) is not DI (=Digital Integration).
Jackal

JohnUK
Member # 278

posted 03-01-2000 03:09 PM     Profile for JohnUK   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Havnt you tried the demo ? not saying i rate it but its free and give you a better idea than the website.

[This message has been edited by JohnUK (edited 03-01-2000).]

Posts: 762 | From: Bournemouth United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
The Ghost of Silverswift
Member # 50

posted 03-01-2000 05:43 PM     Profile for The Ghost of Silverswift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, Jackel, I know that DI is different than DID. But the point of bringing up DID is that they also released a "2 part" game, in ADF/TAW. So, we got an inferior product with ADF with the promise of a substantially cheaper & larger, add-on. If my memory serves me, ADF came out around Christmas of '97, and the add on was to come at the end of Feb 98. Well when it finally came out Dec of 99, it was not an add on, and it was'nt cheap either. DID never did satisfactorily explain why this occurred, when essentially, TAW is ADF with clouds and a dynamic campaign. I think it was a money thing.
And that comes to mind with this substandard DI offering. I seriously doubt that they will acheive the sales (as evidenced by the slow British sales)required to continue on working on this add on. And, god bless the British Beta testers. With MiG Alley, Apache/Havoc, DISH, and a host of others, us Americans receive our games in much better condition. These game companies should be ashamed that release their products in this way.

Posts: 211 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gideon
unregistered

posted 03-01-2000 07:14 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well flame away, but I just got Super Hornet and all I can say is "WOW". It is much smoother than Jane's on my p2/300 and it seems to have all the bells and whistles so far AND it has a seemlingly complete carrier ops with crew members all over the flight deck directing all the A/C.

The graphics are perhaps (and I emphasize "perhaps") a shade under Jane's, but I am thrilled with the crisp, silky smooth frame-rate, even at the highest resolution.

I am not a fighter pilot, but the model seems as good as Jane's, but I need to fly some more to be sure. Cat launches are by far MORE realistic. You have to turn on the APU's then the engines, one at a time even, and then you taxi forward until the flight crew *signals* you to stop and extend the launch bar! The immersion factor is there baybee.. very much.

RWR is handled much differntly, all on the HUD. I am not sure if this is accurate, but it sure is easier to keep track of threats and the very well done manual (which is nice and heavy and also available on the CD) explains it very matter-of-factly as if its legit.

The sound is not anything special, but the cockpit radio is very good and I dont care if I hear a huge whoosh when I fire off ordnance anyway.

No idea how good MP is yet, but I will try that soon.

Finally, even though it matters not at all, the 7 minute intro is by far the absolute best I have ever seen in any computer game bar none. You will watch it more than once I promise you.

All in all, I believe it is a fine sim so far. If you have a store you can get it from that honors returns, get this one and see for yourself. If you don't care for it return it... but it is staying on my hard-drive.

Flames, commments, questions are all welcome.

Hannibal

IP: Logged
Rosco
Member # 1779

posted 03-01-2000 07:48 PM     Profile for Rosco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gideon >

If you like the game, that's great, I'm not going to argue with you. I personally prefer JF-18, though I was pretty uncertain at first. However, As much as I now like JF-18, I'd even take USAF over it if I had an even more modest computer.

I think my P3 450, TNT2 32 MB, 128 RAM setup is just about its true minimum system spec, at least without doing a complete hatchet-job on the graphics options.

There's no way DISH can match JF-18 in weopons and avionics modelling, which is the core of a modern jet sim, it's really raised the bar in that regard.

JF-18's graphics really do come alive if you have a "real" computer, kind of like Flanker 2. It looks decent on my machine but some of the JF-18 screenshots in the Screenshots Gallery are unbelieveable.

------------------

Rosco
Member # 1779

posted 03-01-2000 07:50 PM     Profile for Rosco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, double post. I might as well add that I've seen a lot of real pilots praise {and curse} Janes F/A-18 on this and other forums while the general silence is deafening when talking about DISH.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rosco (edited 03-01-2000).]

Gideon
unregistered

posted 03-01-2000 08:13 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rosco, I understand your opinion and won't argue back. But I am curious, the game came out today. What are you and the others basing your observations on?
IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 03-02-2000 06:40 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tests done by the authors here on Csim have shown that the F-18 in DISH is seriously overpowered.

The *placement* of the RWR info on the HUD is indeed realistic.

As for MP, good luck with the deathmatch-only.

The intro, that sure is one of the most subjective while least important points in the game but I found it pathetic and ridiculous.

The game has been available for 4 or so months in/from Europe.

Some things you might want to try for "fun": strafe your carrier with the gun, order your wingmen to follow you while you're sitting on the deck, set difficulty to top and try to dogfight the AI.

Blaze

Lud von Pipper
Member # 82

posted 03-02-2000 08:38 AM     Profile for Lud von Pipper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Beware of test like that: I read that review too, and I've never found one so much "One side Only" oriented...

May be DISH is not as "good" as JSH, but for sure it's not so bad as it cames out of that article, released just prior to the launch of JSH on the market.

Just rememeber what we have read on this site about USAF: Jane is a pwerfull lobby indeed! :0

LvP

Posts: 273 | From: Italy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jackal
Member # 1202

posted 03-02-2000 12:41 PM     Profile for Jackal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gideon,
I had the game for almost three months and liked it initially, but the more I played it the more I found unacceptable features. Maybe it's a bit harsh to call it arcade, but what shall I say if me and my wingman get 15 air to air targets in missions, my guns can destroy everything, the Hornet still accelerates at 600 kt and 7 G and the enemy knows about GLOC only from newspapers.
Sure the carrier takeoff is quite nice, but isn't it the landing which is the challenging and more interesting part? Again, what shall I say if I sometimes come to an instant stop on the carrier, the deck crew ignores me, the meatball isn't there and I can land anywhere on the carrier ? If the pilot says "gear down " instead of a gear down sound ?
I have never played Novalogic games, but that must come close.
I can only say I tried my best to like it, but this one of the rare sims that have exceeded what I can accept.
Jackal

Boxcar
Member # 1919

posted 03-04-2000 01:00 AM     Profile for Boxcar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To Rosco, Explain to me how Janes avionics and weapon modelling are above DISH. I have them both and I don`t see how you can define this except for the fact that people assume it to be better. I don`t see Matt Wagner making this claim( JF-18 developer).eg: I find DI`s Navflir/Maverick and TWS/RWS radar to be more technically correct and functional than Janes. Janes may be a little more user friendly and but it doesn`t make it better. I like janes also but it`s a massive CPU hog. If DISH comes out with a revised Super Hornet acommpanied with the promised Dynamic Campaign then we`ll all be eating crow.

Boxcar

Posts: 317 | From: Vancouver,B.C.,Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.