my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Importing F/A-18 Marine Corps Squadrons

Author Topic: Importing F/A-18 Marine Corps Squadrons
Hunter Cole
Member # 3440

posted 02-29-2000 09:22 AM     Profile for Hunter Cole   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm. Seems like my original post was preempted..Must've been some Swabbie at the editing board.. Anyway I'll post it again.

If anyone knows how to import USMC Squadrons into this sim, I'd be grateful.

I know it was approved by the USN as it has the Dept of the Navy seal on it, but I'm also mystified as to why the developers forgot to add at least a couple of USMC Squadrons to it. Falcon 4.0, which is as complicated and tough (albeit as buggy as a roach convention) DOES have a list of USAF, ANG, USAFR, ROKAF Squadrons that you can load up instead of the 3 or so in F/A-18.

While I have nothing against USN pilots or their Squadrons, the All of the Attack Squadrons in the Marines, with the exception of the 2 Harrier Squads and Observation and the Helicopters are F/A-18 equipped. Even the Reserves are flying F/A-18As for heavens sake. How hard would it have been to throw in say a VMFA-214 (Black Sheep) VMFA-232 (Red Devils- one of the oldest operational Marine fighter squads) etc. into it?

Imean the only things that would have changed would have been the tail,unit, branch codes and maybe the rank structure. Nothing would have changed the gameplay as that ALL MARINE CORPS AVIATORS ARE CARRIER QUAL BEFORE THEY GET THE WINGS OF GOLD AND ARE TRAINED AT NAS PENSACOLA ALONG WITH THE NAVY JOCKS! The squads deploy not only from land fields like MCAS Iwakuni, Kaneohe Bay, but also pull time as part of the CAG. C'mon Janes! Give some of us Jarheads a break and put together a patch to add the Corps to the sim!

Sorry about the rant..

Semper Fi!

Posts: 184 | From: Danville, Va USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Envelope
Member # 275

posted 02-29-2000 02:45 PM     Profile for Envelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not sure what the F/A-18A is, but Jane's F/A-18 is a brand new airframe. This may account for its small representation among squadrons that use the F/A-18 basic model. Just guessing here...
Posts: 2057 | From: Davis, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hunter Cole
Member # 3440

posted 02-29-2000 04:20 PM     Profile for Hunter Cole   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Envelope:
I'm not sure what the F/A-18A is, but Jane's F/A-18 is a brand new airframe. This may account for its small representation among squadrons that use the F/A-18 basic model. Just guessing here...

<,Envelope.
The F/A-18 A is the first generation of the Hornet, "A" indicating the first modification of the Series run, D indicating the 2 seat version and so on. The "Echo" model fo the Hornet, which Janes' models, is the latest model of the Hornet.

Yes it's a new sim, but Falcon came with the various squadrons in it WHEN it first appeared so, the arguement that this is a new sim and they didn't add to it is just so much Bravo Sierra.

Envelope
Member # 275

posted 02-29-2000 05:15 PM     Profile for Envelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, no! Not a new sim, a new air frame. If you argue that the Marine squadrons are not represented among those available in Jane's F/A-18 sim, it may be that the new airframe simulated by Jane's has not actually found its way into those squadrons.
Hunter Cole
Member # 3440

posted 02-29-2000 07:47 PM     Profile for Hunter Cole   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Envelope:
No, no! Not a new sim, a new air frame. If you argue that the Marine squadrons are not represented among those available in Jane's F/A-18 sim, it may be that the new airframe simulated by Jane's has not actually found its way into those squadrons.

I hate to punctire your rebuttal Envelope, but there aren't any F/A-18 E air frames in the active Naval Squadros either. The F/A-18 e is just starting to be phased into active service. So your reasoning is not valid.

That still wouldn't be a disqualifier for not having a Marine squadron in there.
As most of the Marine squadrons are scheduled to reequip with the Super Hornet.

The present EA-6B Prowler Squadron, is scheduled to upgrade to the "Electric Hornet by 2005.

Semper Fi!

Envelope
Member # 275

posted 02-29-2000 10:52 PM     Profile for Envelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It was a suggestion only. So there are no active F/A-18Es yet.
Benjamin
unregistered

posted 03-01-2000 10:39 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hunter,
I suspect you know the Navy Dept. as well as many around here. Do you really think they'd give you Marines their newest play-toy right off the bat?
Historically, the USMC gets the second best (the current AAAV and V-22 programs are anomalies, unfortunately).
I agree that it would have been nice, and really cool to have a Corps prescence in the sim, but I can see Jane's reasoning......

And if someone can figure out how to create a VMFA, sweet!

IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.