my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Nostalic wave...

Author Topic: Nostalic wave...
Heretic
Member # 722

posted 02-11-2000 10:41 AM     Profile for Heretic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it sem that the bringing of a new ef2000 brought a nostalgic touch to the simm comunity, we´re all talking about old stuff...this old ef2000 probably means more to a lot of people than they think...
Posts: 546 | From: Brasil, Rio de Janeiro | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
MondoPest
Member # 3086

posted 02-11-2000 11:04 AM     Profile for MondoPest   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree, only for me that line of sim began earlier with TFX. heh, at that tme my computer wasnt fast enough for ef2000, ooooohhhhh, just got that ole' nostalgic shiver down my spine

------------------
"When times are at their darkest, it's a brave man who can kick back and party."

MondoPest
Member # 3086

posted 02-11-2000 11:06 AM     Profile for MondoPest   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually after careful thought I would have to say that my nostalgic wave was recently reignited when I found the 3.5inch floppy for the first sim I have ever played...
F-19 Stealth Fighter...AHHH VGA!!!

------------------
"When times are at their darkest, it's a brave man who can kick back and party."

Akulashaker
Member # 148

posted 02-14-2000 06:57 AM     Profile for Akulashaker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
F-19.........would you believe that I still fly that one occasionally?

On its hayday, I would plan my own custom routes on photocopied atlas pages (charting out the SAM circles and AWACS/fighter patrols accordingly), scrap the pre-set INS coords prior to take-off and quite literally fly the entire ingress route (and, if everything went smooth, the egress as well)on autopilot, steering the aircraft by moving the waypoint cursor on the map display (that was the best way to adapt to unforseen factors and surprises not mentioned in the briefing). At strike missions, in Central Europe with Elite opponents and realistic landing settings, you really needed all that preparation....

This sim just cries out for a revamped version with even conservative improvements (a wingman, better graphics/sound/flight model, richer environment, improved weapon modelling etc). If there was ever a chance for Microprose to make a low-budget hit, this is it....

Posts: 488 | From: Greece | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 02-14-2000 01:38 PM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
EF200 is still one of the great ones.

It has the best feeling of inertia in any sim to date.

Posts: 1352 | From: Prescott, AZ | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Zed
Member # 64

posted 02-14-2000 02:29 PM     Profile for Zed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...hell i just miss the "Boss Hide Game"....

Zed

Posts: 866 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Erich Schneider
Member # 1046

posted 02-14-2000 06:51 PM     Profile for Erich Schneider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
EF2000, best feeling of inertia? I loved EF2000 but a sense of inertia is not something I'd praise it for. The roll rates in EF2000 are incredibly fast and the thing stops on a dime. Invoking fly-by-wire will only account for so much.

Jane's F-15, now...

Posts: 123 | From: Pasadena, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Heretic
Member # 722

posted 02-15-2000 04:19 PM     Profile for Heretic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
now... what??
Erich Schneider
Member # 1046

posted 02-15-2000 06:55 PM     Profile for Erich Schneider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jane's F-15 has a great feeling of inertia. You can't just yank the thing around - some subtlety and practice is needed.
JD
unregistered

posted 02-15-2000 11:59 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I been playing falcon 4 and going back to ef2000(just for kicks ) I did a split S and in ef2000 no matter how many possitive G's you pull the plane just accelerates. Weird how I didn't noticed the flawed flight model until I played with f4. In f4 you pull back and the speed drops. Despite this and other things I like both sims for what they are and I'm happy as a clam I also play torando from di, he, he...
IP: Logged
Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 02-16-2000 02:12 AM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aim your F-15 strait down at the runway doing 400kts, 5000ft above it. Try and pull up at the last possible second.

Aim your Eurofighter strait down at the runway doing 400kts, 5000ft above it, try and pull up at the last possible second.

I rest my case.

Zed
Member # 64

posted 02-16-2000 06:02 AM     Profile for Zed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah but the F-15 is ALOT heavier and not FBW!

What did you expect?

Z

Posts: 866 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 02-17-2000 04:05 AM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The only feeling of inertia you get in F-15 is energy bleed. In EF2000 after a sharp dive, you can pull the nose above the horizon and still smash into the ground. Inertia in it's rawest form. The only other simulation I've seen this feeling of inertia fully implemented is in MiG Alley.

I'll try and fly F-15 sometime this week. Maybe I just haven't explored this feeling the same way I did in EF2000.

Erich Schneider
Member # 1046

posted 02-17-2000 07:21 PM     Profile for Erich Schneider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, my own personal inertia comparison: roll at maximum rate in both EF2000 and F-15, then let your stick snap back to the center. See how fast it takes for the plane to stop rolling in both. Do the same thing while pitching.
Heretic
Member # 722

posted 02-17-2000 08:09 PM     Profile for Heretic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Comparing fly by wire with a old big flat pig....I thought you guys would be smarter than that...
Comparing 2 sim that have 3 years of improvement in computation power....
i tought you guys would be smarter than that..
Why not compare Microprose FLY SOLO for commodore 64 with Microsoft version 2000 pro flight simulator....

Heretic

no comments... too sadenned

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.