my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Tornado: question about sound

Author Topic: Tornado: question about sound
Medway
Member # 2159

posted 02-11-2000 08:48 AM     Profile for Medway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi,

I recently got a copy of Tornado running and have a quick question about the sound settings. After much trouble trying to get it to recongnize my soundcard I happened to select the adlib option in the preferences. This got the osund working but the engine noise is just that, very noisy. It's like a hiss type sound. I later read that if you had problems with the soundcard then the adlib choice was the one to select. My question is what's the difference in quality if any between soundblaster and adlib, should i try to get the soundblaster option working? According to the quide no samples are used so I suspect all the the sounds are synthsezied. anyone else getting the really hissy engine? thanks

Posts: 182 | From: Orlando, FL USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
JD
unregistered

posted 02-11-2000 11:55 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know about Adlib, but I remember that hissing sound under SoundBlaster when I still had my old video card. Now I can either use roland option and have music but no engine noise(i.e. sound effects) in the game or purely go with the system speaker in the computer case. I really only need the SAM/AAA pinger sound as to alert me of the threat and the rest of the sounds I don't care about. Funny how this game still remains on my hard drive despite lack of sounds and substandard graphics(for today tech)
IP: Logged
flyer88
Member # 2796

posted 02-11-2000 12:16 PM     Profile for flyer88   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The soundblaster sound is quite a bit better than the speaker sound and I read that the AdLib sound is about as good as the speaker sound (which is barely better than no sound). I have a SB 64AWE Gold and by using the CTCU and CTCM utilities after booting from a DOS disk, it and the joystick work fine. Just copy the CTCM directory from your SB CD onto your hard drive, don't try to run the installation program.
Set Address: 220
IRQ:5
DMA:1
DMA:5
Wave ADDR:330 or 338 (doesn't matter)
and push the TEST button.
When you exit, hit CANCEL, do not try to save it in the \WINDOWS directory.
That worked for me, simply running CTCM put the I/O address at 240 and the program bombed out claiming "No sound card"

Hope that helped.

Medway
Member # 2159

posted 02-11-2000 07:47 PM     Profile for Medway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
flyer88,

thanks for the info but i dont acutally have a soundblaster. i was just saying that as a genric term. i have a yahmaha ds-xg card. i run the dos setup program that configures it but all i can get working is the 16bit mode and the midi/FM mode. fromwhat i read the sounds are synthesized anyways so i wonder if it matters. the adlib sounds a lot better than the pc speaker. the pc speaker is just a couple of beeps here an there. with adlib i get the engine sound(noise) and some ok gear and other noises. problem is just the engine noise, it's too noisy. i installed F14 gold and that was about the same quality except the enigine was much less noisy. not sure whats going on with my yamaha. i go to device manager and i see that it's DMA 3 IRQ 9 and 260. so i use that in the setup program but it doesnt want to recognize it. i've tried all kinds of combinations. for my card i have two IRQs, there's two devices plus the gameport that come up in device manager. one just has a IRQ of 10. the other has all the i/o plus IRQ and DMA. any ideas here? how noisy is your engine sound?

------------------
Medway
186th Wardogs

flyer88
Member # 2796

posted 02-11-2000 08:55 PM     Profile for flyer88   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It is fairly quiet and not irritating at all, something like a low rumble that responds to the throttle setting. Is your sound card "Sound Blaster" compatible? If so, try I/O 220, Irq 5 and DMA 1 with your DOS sound card configuration utility. I assume that you get a dump out to the DOS prompt with the complaint that the sound card is not there. I get the same message unless I use those settings with my sound Blaster.
Good Luck

Medway
Member # 2159

posted 02-12-2000 10:08 AM     Profile for Medway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I have two soundcards actually. One I only use for proff. sound recording. that one I found out is set to the standard I5 D1 T4 A220 settings. The other card I have been trying to use is different settings of course. My problem is that in my DOS setup utility for that card, it fails to recognize the soundblaster part of it. It only shows the FM part which is what is used for menu music and in game sounds too. There are no smaples used, it's all synth sounds in game even. Must be that my card doesn't generate those sounds that well. I would like to get the other card working to test that. I'm getting ahold of tech support, so we will see.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.