my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » F-14 Sim

Author Topic: F-14 Sim
MondoPest
Member # 3086

posted 02-10-2000 11:31 PM     Profile for MondoPest   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here goes, Im playing USAF and F/A-18 the other night, and Im lovin them both, right? Right, they for lack of a better adjective "fricken rock"! So then it happens, Im taking off from Nellis in my Viper( in USAF of course ), and THE song comes over my mp3 player. Kenny Loggins' The Danger Zone. Im totally in the "zone" at this point and it started to get me thinking about F-14 Fleet Defender from microprose. I so wish that Janes would make a new Tomcat simulator. I understand it would be sort of one sided( AA ), although from my understanding the F-14D has the ability to carry AG munitions, so that might play into it somehow. Anyways to make a long story short (TOO LATE!) I just would like Janes to put out an F-14 sim with the detailed flight dynamics from the creator's of F/A-18 and the graphics engine of USAF. Come on all, lets hear it!

------------------
"When times are at their darkest, it's a brave man who can kick back and party."

[This message has been edited by MondoPest (edited 02-11-2000).]

Raptor
Member # 1428

posted 02-10-2000 11:40 PM     Profile for Raptor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You got my vote
Posts: 162 | From: San Francisco, CA USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Heretic
Member # 722

posted 02-11-2000 05:08 AM     Profile for Heretic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fleet defender was good yeah it was ....
Posts: 546 | From: Brasil, Rio de Janeiro | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
jimvictor
Member # 1052

posted 02-11-2000 07:47 AM     Profile for jimvictor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fleet defender also had water that looked as if it was moving and cresting.......When you circled around for a landing, watching the water was such a treat!
todays sims have still not captured the way the water seemed to move as you flew by with the dark blue/black water/waves. Great sim for its day!!
Sim makers, look at how FD created water that looked so threatening.....and alive!

Posts: 433 | From: charlottesville Va usa | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jason
Member # 1545

posted 02-11-2000 02:22 PM     Profile for Jason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Hey,
I Would love to fly a tomcat.......... and go dog-fighting against MiG's and even against the F-15(cool!!!!) but we would really need a backseat/frontseat combo so i could be a frontseater while i have my bud in the back helping me out.

------------------

Geoff
Member # 2470

posted 02-11-2000 05:13 PM     Profile for Geoff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
While we are discussing f14, why not a sim based on the f4 phantom, read a great article on f4 phantoms and Vietnam over at SimHQ, surely this is an aircraft that is just gagging to be modelled as a study sim, no hypothetical conflict needs to be modelled, theres a mountain of data from actual combat to be drawn upon, secondary aircraft could include the f105, A4 and A7, F100 and others, just to begin with. Loads of avionics (slightly primitive)flaky missiles to add to the pucker factor (you've got that mig 21 locked up, but how come that sparrow missile is going ballistic?) off post I know, but hey just musing cheers Geoff
Posts: 6 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Obi Offiah
Member # 8

posted 02-11-2000 08:37 PM     Profile for Obi Offiah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Geoff!

Most of the aircraft that you mentioned are being modelled in the up and coming Jet Warrior Vietnam sim, still in development. Checkout this thread: http://www.combatsim.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000474.html

Obi Offiah

Posts: 149 | From: London | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Virgin
Member # 3128

posted 02-12-2000 05:52 PM     Profile for Virgin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Obi and Geoff,

Don't forget Rhino by RSS. Sounds like it will be real hardcore. I hope they find a publisher, though. You can visit www.newmexico.com/rss/frames.htm and check out their website. It hasn't been updated for some time, but still a neet little read.

Awhile back I heard that GSC was planning a Rhino sim as well. Not sure what the status is now, however. With Jetwarrior: Vietnam due sometime in the future, your wishes may be answered. I still want an A-10 tho.

Virgin

Posts: 58 | From: Tampa, FL USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rosco
Member # 1779

posted 02-12-2000 06:38 PM     Profile for Rosco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tomcat for sure, the F-14 is both vintage and still capable. It entered service only 13 years after the F-4. This is a far more interesting aircraft than any F-15 or F-16. I wouldn't mind seein' a AV-8B sim either.

------------------
"Charlie don't care, he'll slit your throat"

Posts: 984 | From: Hazzard County | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
unregistered

posted 02-12-2000 08:57 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
<Awhile back I heard that GSC was planning a Rhino sim as well. Not sure what the status is now, however.>
Ok, I should let you know that GSC is both one of the best and one of the worst sim companies out there. They released, in 97 and 98, two solid Hornet sims, that really differed only in the theater and the graphics quality. Ok, but both are now blown by the new Hornet sims out there. Not Important; I should get to the point. GSC should be better about promises, better about listening to the public, better about NOT SPREADING RUMORS!!! We were all hearing "Gee, looks like GSC is doing an F-4 sim! Oh boy!" GSC's people look at the forum posts and say "HE he! Let's see how mad we can get them if we announce that we are porting Descent 3 and Baldurs Gate to Mac!" Well, they shook MY faith! Bye GSC!

IP: Logged
Virgin
Member # 3128

posted 02-13-2000 11:01 AM     Profile for Virgin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I, too, would love to see a Tomcat sim, but I doubt it would happen. It seems that "specialty" aircraft are overlooked by developers because they feel they serve a limited role. For example the Tomcat serves primarily in Fleet Defense, and the A-10 serves CAAS. So missions would focus on those roles. Even the Bombcat does not do a whole lotta mud moving.

Multirole aircraft are more popular because from a developer's standpoint they can create a wider variety of missions. Still, I feel we need more diverse sims to keep interest alive. I know many of us are getting tired of flying Falcons and Eagles.

Marketing weenies need to get some backbone and promote something new, or at least different. Look at Flanker and EF2000. Who would have thought those sims would catch on.

Anyway, Fleet Defender was a great sim in my book. Though the jet served a limited role, it stayed on my HD for a long time. What engaged me waas the avionics and carrier ops. The missions were cool, even if a bit repetitive. Still, I felt like I was dealing with the stuff that Tomcat crews had to deal with. I think any sim, regardless of aircraft type, would do well if it's done right.

I better stop here because I'm beginning to rant.

-Virg

Obi Offiah
Member # 8

posted 02-13-2000 12:20 PM     Profile for Obi Offiah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Virgin!, how ya doing?, I haven't seen you post here in ages.

BTW about an A-10 sim, well F2 developers SSI have announced that design work is nearing completion of an Su-25, Su-39 and A-10 sim.

Obi Offiah

Virgin
Member # 3128

posted 02-14-2000 08:06 AM     Profile for Virgin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Obi,
I've been doing okay. RL has me a bit busy so I don't get to hang out much. I see you're still active as ever. :-)

BTW, I read about the A-10 add-on from SSI. I hope they do a good job. After reading the feature set from Janes Warthog (before it was canned), I think SSI's A-10 sim will have to be well done to be acceptable. Still, given the work done on Flanker, I believe the team has what it takes. Then again, some of us have waited fo an A-10 sim for so long, we just might take whatever we can get. :-)

One thing I hope they do is make ground objects at a 1.5X scale to compensate for the lack of depth perception in monitors. What do you think?

-Virg

xj_mike
Member # 3191

posted 02-16-2000 04:10 AM     Profile for xj_mike   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd certainly love to see a good F-14 sim. I mean, what happened to the F-14 in sim world? There are at least half a dozen F-18 sims (not that I'm complaining or anything, don't get me wrong..) but it seems that sim builders are forgetting the 'turkey'. Why is this injustice being done? I bet if Top gun came out today it would be a differant story.. Then again, they'de probably fly F-18's anyway. Gimme an old fashioned bird like the F-14 to go alongside the F-18. Hey, y'know what would be really cool? If Jane's released an F-14 sim that would connect with F-18, so whilst you're flying a mud strike, your bud can fly a tomcat on CAP. Hell! With radio contact with eachother too, I'd probably never sleep again!
Posts: 239 | From: Lunar surface | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dan.
unregistered

posted 02-16-2000 12:15 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You hit the nail on the head. "Top Gun" has come and gone, the poor Tomcat is being phased out, the Hornet (a bug!) is in...therefore little interest in making and marketing (read spending money) on a sim that may or may not make it in sales.

I understand the reasoning, but I still miss the venerable F-14D Tomcat. It will have passed before it's time.

As for sims, I'd buy it.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Dan

IP: Logged
shok
Member # 122

posted 02-16-2000 01:22 PM     Profile for shok   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I checked that RHINO web page but I have to admit I'm not really impressed. There really isn't all that much info there. While the recommended books are great, you could have gotten a lot of other book recommendations from other forums.

The weird thing is that they say "It's the Simulation, Stupid" yet the notes discuss only a Static Campaign, Graphics (or lack thereof), and the Radio environment. Is that what simulation is all about?
What I would have liked to see is info about how they would simulate the actual aircraft -- from performance, avionics, weapons, to multiple flights, support a/c, carrier ops -- and the combat environment with enemy aircraft, AAA, targets, weather, and all the other elements of combat simulation. Are they going to simulate the historical effectivity of the a2a missiles? Realism in this aspect would turn off A LOT of players. Are they going to simulate weather and cloud cover? In the SEA theater, these aspects were very effective in allowing or denying success in strike and CAS missions.
There are a lot of other aspects but there are basically zero details on what the actual sim is going to do.... I sure hope this is not vaporware....

Virgin
Member # 3128

posted 02-16-2000 05:33 PM     Profile for Virgin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Regarding F-14 sim: I would definitely love to see one myself. Unfortunately, the consensus seems to be "no Tomcats in the forcast anytime soon."

Regarding Rhino: I received an e-mail from Steven (one of the people behind the sim). Work continues on the sim and things are progressing. They are keeping a low profile to avoid hype and bad pub. Keep in mind this is a small operation so they do not have resources to do a lot of promotion. They are currently devoting all their resources on development.

I too hope they are able to deliver and I share several concerns about the sim; however, it is too early to "call the ball."

Patience, young Jedi, patience.

Regards,
Virg

Obi Offiah
Member # 8

posted 02-17-2000 06:38 PM     Profile for Obi Offiah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Virgin:

About making objects 1.5x scale, I've thought of similar things, such as programming the sim software to start off with slightly larger objects but then reduce there scale gradually with smooth transitions as you approach. However I don't know how such a method would fool the eye convincingly?.

Obi Offiah

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.