my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » DISH PATCH?

Author Topic: DISH PATCH?
STINGER_MAN
Member # 2114

posted 02-09-2000 01:50 PM     Profile for STINGER_MAN   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dose anyone know or herd of a Patch for SUPERHORNET?
Posts: 15 | From: SAN JOSE,CA,US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 02-10-2000 02:53 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
According to DI there are no problems worth a patch.
Raz
unregistered

posted 02-11-2000 03:17 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Stinger Man :

A patched Config Editor was made available on www.superhornet.com on wednesday (superhornet.sim-arena.com have it too), perhaps that's what you're referring to? Some people were having problems activating joysticks, mainly USB ones; the updated exe should fix that.

Raz

IP: Logged
Jeffg
Member # 721

posted 02-11-2000 05:58 AM     Profile for Jeffg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Raz,
Please level with this forum and let us know the patch status for this sim.I know sometimes things can't be said but how can a navy pilot make a carrier landing without a frenesl lens system and my Super Hornet program does not have one!The other problem is calling up the LSO,there should be some comms while in the pattern,not just hitting the L key. I do hope you respond to this thread. Jeffg

Posts: 46 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach,Fl USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Raz
unregistered

posted 02-11-2000 10:45 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Patch status... okay, here's the situation.

Early last week I wrote up a report for my bosses detailing the current Super Hornet situation. I included a list of issues that had either been reported in public forums and support emails, or that I'd found myself (incidentally, this included an in-game CTD that has only ever been reported by *one* person - I've since added another CTD that has so far *never* been reported!).

I asked that a descision be taken, through consultation with Titus, as to what was going to be adressed. I also gave my views at length about (and advised against taking) a decision of inaction, because I've been around long enough now to know how this would be received - and rightly so.

I recently asked the external producer how things had developed and was informed that the feeling was that any crash-bugs must obviously be adressed. Anything else would depend on time available; apparently we are being pushed incredibly hard on the next project.

I spoke with the MD today to confirm this. The next step is for me and him to prioritise the issues and see what can be done; this will unfortunately have to wait until mid next week, as I have holiday time booked.

So, to summarise: I'm now assuming that DI have been allowed some leeway to look at the Super Hornet code again. Although nothing's going to happen until next Wednesday, I will get the chance then to stress the importance of as many of these issues as I can.

I'm left with the feeling, though, that not as many things are going to get changed as we'd like. Given the apparent time constraints, I also can't really see any additional features being added. This may mean that items such as the FLOLS pop-up window won't happen, especially since aids like the ILS display and LSO are already in place and working (though that would certainly annoy me as much as you, because it was *my* idea to implement the window this way!). However, like I said, I don't know for sure what the outcome will be until next week.

So, I hope this has explained the situation, even if I wasn't able to pass on the best news. Once I find out more, I'll let you know.

Raz
(Btw, as I said above, I'm away until Wednesday, so I won't be able to follow conversation here or reply until then; sorry)

IP: Logged
scanman
Member # 1697

posted 02-11-2000 03:50 PM     Profile for scanman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Raz>>>

Hello again mate, listen, it seems like you are the only person left at DI from the "old school" (at least you seem to think that way). Why don't you use your expertise and that of any other good work associates you know and work for someone who will provide the proper backing a flight sim needs. I think Titus have done you all a big wrong and they are the wrong people to be dealing with software as technical and delicate as flight sims. Let them make shooters or something, but I, and I know many other people too, are not impressed with their "well it's out and making money now so let's forget about it" attitude.

You and me have exchanged many words on here. I hope Titus sanction what you, me and all the other good people who adorn and frequent these forums have suggested.

This really is your last chance to get it right at DI, don't let the side down again like that or DI may be no more. This is not a threat, just fact. Us, the people who spend our money to buy your sims and fund your company will no longer give you a second look. Let the MD knw this too.

Oh well, I've waffled enough for now, I just hope that some day, one day, all will be put right. Why don't you pass the coding on to the boys at iBeta to tinker with? - Titus ain't gonna do anything with it!

Bye Bye for now.

Anyone else feel the same?

[email protected]

------------------
Dar B (SCANMAN)

Posts: 93 | From: Belfast, Ireland | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jeffg
Member # 721

posted 02-11-2000 04:47 PM     Profile for Jeffg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Raz,
I am sorry you have to work for a company that has the idea that they can't patch what they made.The problems were there when the program went to the beta testers and are you saying they found everything ok?
I think this sim has some great days ahead if it gets patched right,it could go head to head with Jane's.I only hope you can get something moving because if not I will do everything I can to voice my statement over every forum here in the states not to buy this program when it comes out over here.I bought it from a software seller in the uk because I have always loved DI's sims.

Posts: 46 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach,Fl USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin Bennett
Member # 2001

posted 02-12-2000 12:15 PM     Profile for Gavin Bennett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, the hope would be that Superhornet Gold will offer us a few new features. So therefore, I think we should be looking at bug fixes, CTD fixes, and maybe a few optimisations. My V3/P350 system runs Superhornet quite smoothly at 1024x768 resolution. But I am told that PIII 500 users have reported average FPS of 15. 15 is an _ok_ level. But 25 would be better ;-
If Superhornet gives us the dynamic campaign, that is gonna massacre FPS. So optimisations would be good.

Gavin

Posts: 172 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Seawolf
Member # 1787

posted 02-13-2000 10:22 AM     Profile for Seawolf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Should I get this sim or stay with Janes FA18? When will I be able to get a copy here in the states??
Posts: 1322 | From: Clearwater, Fl. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gavin Bennett
Member # 2001

posted 02-13-2000 10:42 AM     Profile for Gavin Bennett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It sounds like you would be better holding off for Superhornet Gold.

But, certainly, Superhornet does deliver, in some beautiful ways. The fully clickable cockpit. The flight deck, with the yellow jackets, showing you the way.

The avionics.

All good stuff.

Gavin

Posts: 172 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 02-13-2000 04:49 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Before DISH "Gold" with the campaign comes out, there is supposed to be a version with added missions which is supposed to be released worldwide (including the US .

At the moment you should definitely "stay with Jane's", as of now DISH is not up to todays standards as an overall package (albeit one or two nice features).

Just read through the comparisation articles here on Csim.

Blaze

scanman
Member # 1697

posted 02-17-2000 12:26 PM     Profile for scanman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree - don't buy F-18 SH if you want a "realistic" sim. F-18 Korea is a much more detailed and realistic sim than DISH - which sometimes seems like I'm playing G-Lock with other jets and the battleships act like little rubber ducks as they just disappear with a burst of cannon fire.

DISH would have seemed good if I was aged 13 or something, or maybe 3 years ago it would have appeared great but to be honest I rate it my biggest let down EVER! I just had to get my money back.

------------------
Dar B (SCANMAN)

Posts: 93 | From: Belfast, Ireland | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.