my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » RAGE'S EF2000?

Author Topic: RAGE'S EF2000?
SGAV8R
Member # 638

posted 02-02-2000 08:15 PM     Profile for SGAV8R   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So, what do u guys think after reading the interview with RAGE Software regarding EF2000 aka Typhoon? I think it's a sure sign that some interesting things are gonna be coming our way. At least now, there's gonna be a European fighter again.

Let's talk about it, shall we?

------------------
Take my advice, I don't use it anyway

Posts: 667 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Zero Niner
Member # 1171

posted 02-02-2000 08:30 PM     Profile for Zero Niner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Read the article, but I dunno...

I'll probably wait & see. I've been hoping for a EF2K sim for a while now (the original EF2K was what started me on hard-core flight sims).

Theatre appears kinda small (only 400 miles? Maybe I read it wrong).

Well I'll keep tabs on it but I'm still having way too much fun with F4. Once I tire of it, it's on to JF-18! May get it if it's good, but I won't hold my breath.

------------------
Zero Niner, out.

Posts: 986 | From: Singapore | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
SGAV8R
Member # 638

posted 02-02-2000 09:23 PM     Profile for SGAV8R   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Zero Niner, true. However, the advantage for us here in Singapore, in this case, is that we will most likely get it way after Europe & USA. Look at DI SH. We're gonna be getting it around the same time as USA at best. Probably 2 or 3 weeks later. I'd say this seems like a pretty decent sim, but yes, theatre appears pathetic compared to F4's, or even JF/A-18. Point is, I'd probably get it for the fact that it's a European aircraft, though my heart really yearns for a Tornado sim.

------------------

Fins
Member # 1331

posted 02-03-2000 02:33 AM     Profile for Fins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't see the small size of the campaign world as a problem. AFAIK, the typical combat radius of a tactical aircraft is between 250-400 miles, so it seems to fit nicely. JF-15 had a huge campaign world, and all Jane's got for their efforts was players whinging about the long ingress and egress times! I've read elsewhere that the game is based on a war over Iceland, so what they gonna do? Stretch the island?!?

Personally, I think it sounds like they are watching the flight sim market dying, along with the rest of us, and are feeling around for a formula for a sim that will play well (and so sell well) without completely turning it into a shooting game. I *really* hope they succeed!

I still play the original on a LAN with a friend (SuperEF2000 in our case), and it's still very good fun. It's stable and it works! We've given up on F4 'til we can afford the sort of hardware that will give us decent framerates!

I just hope they keep the multiplayer element in Typhoon.

Fins.

Posts: 22 | From: Hastings, East Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Crashman
Member # 827

posted 02-03-2000 07:52 AM     Profile for Crashman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not so impressed. No Awacs and only the RAF version of the Eurofighter (I'm from Germany)? Hopefully it will be better than Janes F18 and as good as Falcon 4 !

Crashman

Posts: 62 | From: 99762 Niedersachswerfen, Germany/Deutschland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Fins
Member # 1331

posted 02-03-2000 08:04 AM     Profile for Fins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Crashman,

The lack of AWACs is a shame, but I wouldn't worry about the lack of a German version of the aircraft. It doesn't sound like they'll be doing the systems in enough detail for the differences between the aircraft versions to show. As for airforce markings, I guess there'll be a skin editor available within, say, 30 seconds of the game being released!

Fins.

Posts: 22 | From: Hastings, East Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
thommo
Member # 2839

posted 02-03-2000 10:59 AM     Profile for thommo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gents,
I had a look in the article feedback forum and posted this on the back of it.

"Gents,
Do you notice a pattern emerging here, I know time zones work in our favour but over half the posts to this discussion are from Brits. Do you think this is not a fair or indicative cross section yet, or do you think it is something else? Do we have a nation of Brit sim-heads excited/interested because it's a British plane involved (it is called Typhoon, which is the RAF designation, not Eurofighter), or maybe a touch of apathy from our US cousins for exactly the same reasons.

I'm not having a dig at anyone, honestly, but this is a much higher percentage of Brit posts compared to all the other discussions.
Any thoughts?"

While this forum is not quite as Brit poster biased in terms of numbers, there is a definite Brit/Euro flavour again. Fins, I'm assuming that you are a Brit; apologies if I'm incorrect. I know through a separate issue that SGAV8R spent some years here, along with Germany's Crashman a little disappointed that there seems no local version for him. Do we think that we have been "making-do" with US sims? When I first got my PC I bought TAW (I had played EF2K on a friends' a few times, seemed the natural choice) but my second sim purchase was Flanker 2, mainly on the good reviews, partly on the good demo, but the deciding factor was that it was non-US and therefore different. Any felt/feel the same way?

------------------
------------------
Tally Ho

Thommo

Posts: 74 | From: Essex, UK | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Crashman
Member # 827

posted 02-03-2000 11:26 AM     Profile for Crashman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I is not only the RAF plane, but more the weapons ! I'm very familiar with Amraam's and Mavericks and not with Meteor and Brimstone....
urther I don't like the name! Typhoon sounds like my old set of speakers
Eurofighter is a better name but I know the Brit's need something other than the people on the "mainland"

I will still buy it, maybe we will get an addon with the German aircraft, German systems and German pilots. Than we will see who is the better fighter pilot (lol).

Crashman

Posts: 62 | From: 99762 Niedersachswerfen, Germany/Deutschland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
goon
Member # 457

posted 02-03-2000 12:30 PM     Profile for goon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Crashman,
Couldn't agree LESS! Typhoon is one of the most pleasing aircraft names I've come across in a long time (I am aware it has been used before). Very understated, in a very British way!
Goon

------------------
I'm the famous Eccles!

Posts: 124 | From: Stafford, England | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ozias
unregistered

posted 02-03-2000 06:21 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the name 'Typhoon' was chosen for export sales of the EF2000, sounds a bit racier than 'Eurofighter'.

IP: Logged
Lud von Pipper
Member # 82

posted 02-03-2000 06:38 PM     Profile for Lud von Pipper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, typhoon has been chosen because it doesn't changes much in all the languages of the tree (four with Spain) nations to be building and operating it: it will be the official name of the plane (and btw, I'm from Italy, if this means anithing to you, Brit and Deutch peoples )
Posts: 273 | From: Italy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SGAV8R
Member # 638

posted 02-03-2000 07:21 PM     Profile for SGAV8R   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like the name Typhoon. Brings back memories of when I was studying war history as a teenager doing my GCSE's. Hawker Typhoon, Hawker Hurricane & eventually, Hawker Hunter, hardest plane to recover from an inverted flat spin due to the swept wing configuration .

------------------

[This message has been edited by SGAV8R (edited 02-03-2000).]

Fins
Member # 1331

posted 02-04-2000 01:50 AM     Profile for Fins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thommo,

Yep, guilty as charged, I'm British. There does seem to be a disproportionate number of non-US to US posts about this game currently, but I for one will be happy to fly a sim that doesn't start with "F-" for a change. I didn't buy Su27 2 because it doesn't have all the components that I think need to be in a sim to make it feel complete, but I'll probably end up getting it as the addons start appearing.

As for the name "Typhoon", I too heard that it's been chosen for the export version of the aircraft (Try selling anything called Euro... to anybody and you'll see why! ). Officially, the version used by the four consortium member countries is suppost to be named "Eurofighter", but I can guess what the RAF will be refering to it as (unofficially)!

Fins.

Tracer
Member # 259

posted 02-04-2000 11:35 AM     Profile for Tracer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
At last some positive material that an EF2000/Typhon sim is in the works!
As for the size of the "world" at 400 miles-what i look at was flying say 120+miles in F4 using X4 time skip and it would still take something like 3mins??? Which was 3mins of boredom 'til you reached some action
So it looks like it will be a "in your face" campaign?
If only they would model the Tornado as a flyable plane,then my ultimate combo of them both in a dynamic campaign would be realised.
Still,i will buy this sim as i sorely miss DID and the "different" style of sim that only they can produce? As was said in the interview "The F4's and F2's have already been done?"So this is a fresh approach and not compareble to either sim. Hurray!!!!
Now we need some screen shots Rage/DID?

Tracer

------------------
"Don't Judge a Book By It's Cover?"

Posts: 681 | From: Edinburgh,Scotland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
the fly
Member # 1934

posted 02-04-2000 01:52 PM     Profile for the fly     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
wonder if they meant no-AWACS control..but still they'll be an AWACS to contact for targets, etc...
Heretic
Member # 722

posted 02-05-2000 12:39 AM     Profile for Heretic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey fly,
When the guy meaned no AWAC and no JTIDS he was realy meaning NONe at all, as no refuel!!!

i really hope they´ll don´t suck too much...
they´ve seem to have throwed the ef2000 in the MUD service which isn´t really is primary objective, but let see.
If there´s plenty of mud action, they better do some solid terrain grafs (a la gunship 3 (by the pictures showed recently)).
What scares me is the way the guy put the thing.. " still thinking about T&L" ..."island scenário"..." no support to date to game commander or roger wilco" i only hope they don´t kill the flight, weapon, and control experience .
If there something they could do that noone has done before, is the individual loading and control of your wing :
be able to load diferent weapons in your wingmans, and give each separate orders"
I hope we won´t see the uncessant flood of ennemy planes that killed TAW this sucked so much.
I see that as in ef2000 we´ll begin in a loosing war " the front WILL close". And a campaign at least as realistic and well balanced as ef2000.

We´ll if they don´t screw it, they have a buyer

Posts: 546 | From: Brasil, Rio de Janeiro | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rosco
Member # 1779

posted 02-05-2000 01:29 AM     Profile for Rosco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll buy it, but only from an Electronic Boutique or somewhere else with a good return policy. I'm not totally sure about this one...

Posts: 984 | From: Hazzard County | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gavin Bennett
Member # 2001

posted 02-05-2000 10:07 AM     Profile for Gavin Bennett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Uhm.... actually, EF2000 V3/Typhoon sounds just like EF2000 V2, really, so no real complaints there. The choice of theatre is good, if a little odd, and the feature list sounds quiet healthy.

Gavin

Posts: 172 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
daveb
Member # 173

posted 02-06-2000 02:08 AM     Profile for daveb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
EF2000 the next generation from a different company. Provided it is a quality sim that does justice to the first EF2000 it will be interesting but living up to such high expectations is a tall order.
Hope it succeeds but forgive me for being sceptical I doubt it. On what evidence do I say this? None whatsoever! Just gut feeling!
Still I hope I am proved wrong.

------------------
Best wishes,
Dave B.

Posts: 613 | From: Windsor, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 02-06-2000 06:25 AM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wonder if "no AWACS" means they'll also skip the JTDIS?

I mean even without AWACS the JTDIS would still send situation data between EF2000s...

------------------
Lead-Head's Simulation Site:
http://fly.to/lead-head

Posts: 775 | From: Piteå, Norrbotten, Sweden. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Member # 1314

posted 02-06-2000 07:23 AM     Profile for Sticky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I AM POST NR 5000!

[This message has been edited by Sticky (edited 02-06-2000).]

Posts: 65 | From: Europe | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin Bennett
Member # 2001

posted 02-06-2000 08:18 AM     Profile for Gavin Bennett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Typhoon has a lot to live up to, definitely; i have been playing a new campaign over the last few days, and believe me, its white knuckle stuff!!!

Low level ingress, radars off, one eye on the JTIDS screen, calculating fuel, trying to work out can my flight break through the enemy CAP?

Its amazing stuff. I am really looking forward to Typhoon. I just wish we could see Scandinavia again, as a theatre.

Gavin

Member # 1314

posted 02-06-2000 10:46 AM     Profile for Sticky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gavin Bennett:
Typhoon has a lot to live up to, definitely; i have been playing a new campaign over the last few days, and believe me, its white knuckle stuff!!!

Low level ingress, radars off, one eye on the JTIDS screen, calculating fuel, trying to work out can my flight break through the enemy CAP?

Its amazing stuff. I am really looking forward to Typhoon. I just wish we could see Scandinavia again, as a theatre.

Gavin

Have you been playing Typhoon? Who are you and how did you get a chance to play Typhoon?

Posts: 65 | From: Europe | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin Bennett
Member # 2001

posted 02-06-2000 12:17 PM     Profile for Gavin Bennett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry, been playing EF2000. My mistake! I wish!! I do know some things about Typhoon, but that's neither here nor there. I have been playing EF2000 all bloody day, and i am still dizzy!

Gavin

Heretic
Member # 722

posted 02-07-2000 06:05 AM     Profile for Heretic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
buaaaaa i wan to play ef2000 toooooo!!!!!
but i have an Aboard and althought i have the drivers, the game complain about haaardwaaaaare....

Heretic
Member # 722

posted 02-07-2000 06:09 AM     Profile for Heretic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
aybe if i ay that i have a vipper 550 this gonna help, i suppose a GE force won´t help too...
Cool_1
unregistered

posted 02-08-2000 05:13 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Check out the new screenshot of Typhoon on combatsim...looks awesome !!!
IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.