my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » US Navy to use MS Flight Sim 98??

Author Topic: US Navy to use MS Flight Sim 98??
sjponeill
Member # 1397

posted 02-02-2000 12:03 AM     Profile for sjponeill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A couple of nights ago I was surfing around and came across and article saying that the US Navy was adopting MS Flight Sim 98 modifed to depict its jet trainer as a "desk top" simulation training tool.

I writing a paper on the training value of various games and wanted to refer back this article but fir the life of me can not remember where I saw it.

Can anyone out there help out?

Posts: 29 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
TroyAir
Member # 922

posted 02-02-2000 07:14 AM     Profile for TroyAir   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That story was carried by a number of news sites here in the States this past Summer or Fall, so try visiting the articles of some of the major news providers, such as www.abcnews.com, www.msnbc.com, or www.cnn.com. You might also try poking around the US Navy website (I can't recall the URL).

Good luck!

Posts: 78 | From: Tampa, Florida, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Envelope
Member # 275

posted 02-02-2000 02:13 PM     Profile for Envelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It seems to me that desktop flight sims have seen service as a recruiting tool at least. On the local campus I think some recruiters were guaranteeing flight training to anyone who signed up. "You want to fly? Sure, you can fly, just sign up. Really!" Its a very old song, I'm sure.
Posts: 2057 | From: Davis, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
sjponeill
Member # 1397

posted 02-03-2000 03:28 AM     Profile for sjponeill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help - if anyone else has any comments on the use of sims as training tools I'd be really interested to hear either in the forum or direct to my email address [email protected]

We have already adopted TacOps as a training package and have assessed Delat Force and R6 for other training roles. Hopefully we may make some headway on BCT.

Any comments welcomed.

Posts: 29 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
MaddMatt
Member # 2002

posted 02-05-2000 10:29 AM     Profile for MaddMatt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you want some input on the sim Fly!, go to avsim.com's Fly! message board. You'll find a lot of pilots who use FS2k and Fly! as ifr training devices.

The sims on their own are of marginal value. In conjunction with approach plates, however, they are invaluable tools to sharpen/practice those skills. Fly!'s trump card is it's ultra-realistic systems and panels, which are unparalleled in the flight sim market (there are, however, ifr-only apps out there that are arguably better).

------------------
Matt Schwartzstein
MaddMatt
Crimguy

Posts: 95 | From: Bronx, New York, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.