my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Jets   » Flanker 2 - Warthog!

Author Topic: Flanker 2 - Warthog!
Viking1
Member # 5

posted 01-29-2000 09:55 PM     Profile for Viking1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's now official: Su39 will also feature an American aircraft... the A10 Warthog! I knew this was in the works back in November but they were still looking at various options.
Posts: 917 | From: Kelowna BC CANADA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
pwn
unregistered

posted 01-29-2000 10:58 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any previews/interviews planned?
IP: Logged
Kurt Plummer
Member # 358

posted 01-30-2000 12:27 AM     Profile for Kurt Plummer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Frankly it sucks buttermilk that it takes a Russian-airframe oriented team to 'think about' doing a USAF attackship.

Also, frankly, unless they do to the A-10 what the Pixel Boyz did, an Su-39 stands about a 70% chance of waxxing a Hawgs a$$, every time they come to a neutral visual merge.

If you give the Russian Adder and Kopyo radar to cue it (as indeed some of the Sea Rooks have been seen 'airshowed' with), you can add about 90% of BVR too.

People just don't realize that 'advanced sensors' on the A-10 come down to a pair of binoculars, later NVG, and the Pave Penny laser spot tracker (outside help). Put that up against a 90's style 'active defences' (major amounts of 20/30 series threat air and longslant battlefield SAM like the SA-15/19), and you're gonna be Screwed, Blued and tat-effing-tooed. Real Quick.

THE place to do an A-10 is in a 1970's/80's scenario over the Fulda gap or perhaps as a CentCom/RDF deployment to Iran if the Soviets invaded. Even here I would cheat and include the N/AW and some 'special weapons'.

With F-15 topcover vs. numbers of MiG-21/23 and the 'odd' 29 for threat air and MiG-27/Su-22/25 as your worst jabo encounter.

Only NOT 'USAF' style. Please dear heavens not again...:`()

KP

Major Tom
Member # 1256

posted 01-30-2000 01:48 AM     Profile for Major Tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Andy, please screw Kurts head back on strait regarding our beloved Hog's survivability.

Thanks

Posts: 1352 | From: Prescott, AZ | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
W. Hog
unregistered

posted 01-30-2000 04:24 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A-10 A-10 A-10 A-10 A-10!!!!!!!
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 01-30-2000 07:17 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I suppose it's gonna be another one of those green pea soup games. Don't the russian's know what color water is suppose to be. Last time I looked it was dark blue. Maybe it's green over there and if that's the case, I wouldn't be drinking it. Probably glows in the dark too. Not too excited about this news.
Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SGAV8R
Member # 638

posted 01-30-2000 07:31 PM     Profile for SGAV8R   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry, water is TRANSPARENT, it's the refraction & reflections that cause it to LOOK blue to anyone. However, it can also look green when in certain areas. I kindda forgot how light really works, but I assure u, it's the reflection & refraction thingy.

------------------
Take my advice, I don't use it anyway

Posts: 667 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Judge
Member # 1634

posted 01-30-2000 07:36 PM     Profile for Judge     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah, take no notice of Bigshot. He's just in here trolling. For some reason, many of the EAW forum regulars (including Bigshot) have taken it upon themselves to use Flanker as some sort of scratching post. *shrug* People get their kicks in all sorts of ways.
S.

Posts: 440 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lucky_1
Member # 352

posted 01-30-2000 08:24 PM     Profile for Lucky_1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds like another Survey sim. I'd rather have Jane's A-10, a complete A-10 sim, not sharing one with another plane. In reality, the A-10 has no equal.

------------------
Two beers, or not two beers. There is no question.

Posts: 635 | From: Knoxville, TN. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 01-30-2000 08:48 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey for your information, I live right next to Lake Michigan. The damn lake is blue when you view it from shore or from the air. I know water is transparent and light makes it look different. That's obvious isn't it. Lake Michigan appears green only where it's shallow on a sunny day. The deeper waters are dark blue. The ocean is dark blue. Not green. Have you looked lately. Yes, I am an avid EAWer. The only damn game released lately that's really hardcore good with gorgeous graphics and aircraft. No green water, no jaggies, no lockups, no bugs, great flight models. Endless variety. Yes, I've read where some of the guys at the EAW forum give you flankerites a hard time. I'm not one of em'. Besides, it's all done in fun. No, I'm not trolling. Just responding with a concern. Didn't the russian's make a helo sim that was pea green too. Forget it's name now. What's with that pea green. Man, it makes me want to scream when they can't even get the colors right.
Your UserName:
unregistered

posted 01-30-2000 09:01 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"...makes me want to scream when they can't even get the colors right."
...makes ME want to scream when they can't even get the handle right. "Bigshit"

Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 01-30-2000 09:05 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PS: Forgot to mention that I bought Flanker2.0. I played it for about an hour and could see that it was well done. Except for that green all over which I couldn't get past. So, I carefully packed it back up and returned it. I loved the feel of the aircraft, but couldn't stand the colors. So, I got nothing bad to say about Flanker2.0 other than "change the damn colors" HEHEHE. Hey, at least the russian's are making sims. Gotta give em' credit for that. I hope they keep making em'. Just change that damn color. Sorry for the strong language. If they decide to make a warthog sim, great. I'm sure they'll model it prefectly. Put snow on the ground for all I care; but make the ocean dark blue.
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 01-30-2000 09:13 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey; unregistered "Your UserName"; you got that right. I see you've been reading the "people behind the posts" section. Discovered how I got my username. Good for you and you thought maybe I'd take it in a not so kindly way.
Eugene
unregistered

posted 01-30-2000 09:40 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To Bigshot:

Regarding "changing the damn colors" in Flanker 2.0: there are a couple of user-made textures (including those for water) available at http://gremlin.sim-arena.com/Gremsflanker.html . Go check them out. Hope you're gonna love them better than the default ones.

Good luck!

Lucky_1
Member # 352

posted 01-31-2000 10:17 AM     Profile for Lucky_1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why is it that Sims like EAW, WWII fighters and all WWII sims in general, are considered hard core? But if a jet sim comes out with a bunch of planes to fly it is considered a survey sim. If anything, EAW and WWII fighters are survey sims. At least if you go by the definition of a survey sim, multiple aircraft and such. Just wondering?

------------------
Two beers, or not two beers. There is no question.

Posts: 635 | From: Knoxville, TN. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 01-31-2000 11:03 AM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Eugene. I bookmarked that page for my possible future re-purchase of flanker2.0.

Lucky1; I agree with your thoughts. I don't think anyone can define "what's hardcore vs what's not". To me, EAW approaches hardcore as far as props go. Why, because of the dynamic campaign mainly, but also because of the 150+ variants of aircraft with their own distinct flight models and weapons loadout. One can set up the config in the sim to make it exclusively hardcore or exclusively a "game". I personally like to fly it both ways. The sim grows on you and never really gets boring. Maybe that's the way to define hardcore. I don't know why the jet sims seem to have so many problems. I say give em' all some more time and let's see if the developers can work the bugs out of them. EAW wasn't much out of the box. Falcon4 wasn't much out of the box. Yet, a year later and they're both great. I keep watching the USAF forum to check on it's progress. I hope I'll be repurchasing that sim later too if it gets fixed. Same with Janes FA18. I'm also going to buy DI's Superhornet when released here in the US. Let's hope they got it right by the time we get it. To me, hardcore is a sim that looks and feels right and a sim that I still want to play a year later.

benno
unregistered

posted 01-31-2000 04:21 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
whom ever said water is blue or dark blue has never been in the irish sea or bristol channel..it might be blue in hawai 5 - 0 but its not blue in the u.k .(Its all the shite we pump into it)Anyway , when i was on illustrious......

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.